How much longer for this foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beetlin

Reaction score
Hi,

My miniature maiden is now on day 349, seems to have gone slack around the tail, fairly swollen vulva but her bag just keeps coming up a bit overnight and then going during the day. I have looked at photos of her from the beginning of April and she had more bag then, but it completely went down and then started again a few days ago. A month ago, she was really wide like a table top , then She had had a real dropped v- belly, but the last few days has looked round again and somehow smaller and thinner..I has seen foal moving so I know there is definately one in there. I cannot get a drop of anything out of her to milk test. I know maidens dont always read the rule book of foaling signs and often dont wax, but I have been on" high alert" since her due date in case she is one of these that will foal with no signs. How much longer can she go without causing problems with a big foal, what is the longest gestations you have all had and had a live foal !!
unsure.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be soon! Keep watching and keep the faith
default_smile.png

If she went from "V" belly to pulled up & rounder....that means the foal is moving into the birth canal for foaling. Don't take your eye off her! Many maidens have no bag (or very little) until after they have the baby. So, that in itself, is not a good indication of foaling.

Her vulva is swelling, there is little muscle tone in the tailhead area....AND now the foal has moved into position...so THAT tells me she is getting ready to foal very soon. Don't worry about the "days" of gestation. That can vary widely from mare to mare. I've even heard of some who carried over a full year and had absolutely normal foals, while others routinely foal around 300 days or earlier with no problems.

I know it's hard....but be patient. That baby will come when it's good & ready. Just watch that mare like a hawk, because it sounds like she is very close!

I have one on cam now that is 33 days overdue! She just now finally bagged up today and I suspect we will see a foal by tonight. I was getting worried but she has totally bagged up in just 24 hrs. Sending good thoughts to you

Thank you all for your comments, I havent taken my eyes of her for weeks !! I have her on CCTV at night and have done for ages, cant wait for her to foal so I can get some sleep.

Is the foal likely to be big as it is a bit late or are they kind of self limiting how much they grow. She is only a 31 " mare and the stalllion was a fine boned 33 ". I have just had one foal by him out of my other mare who is the same size but finer, but hers was on day 323 so quite a bit earlier.

AND Good Luck Kaykay, hope all goes well.

There was a thread like this earlier. I WISH Lex foaled at 342 last year lol. She went at 372! And I know others on here have experienced longer. For minis anywhere from 300 to over 365 is normal...
default_wacko.png

I had one last year who went 352 days!

Good luck! It will happen!
wink.gif

I WISH Lex foaled at 342 last year lol. She went at 372! And I know others on here have experienced longer.
I have a mare at 365 today, perhaps a little longer (she was with the stallion til June 9th last year). So, I still have hope that she may still go (she was sick during her pregnancy, but farrier saw movement a few weeks ago).

Still Not arrived, day 353, a bit more of a bag now but no milk.

Vulva very slack and swollen today with a little blood around edges, how close to foaling does this normally happen. She is very soft down hind quarters now too. Hopefully she will pop this weekend
smile.gif

Still no foal here either and Meadows bag keeps getting big then shrinking. Ughhh.

Sounds like your more is very close as sometimes the blood vessels in the vulva bust from pressure. But I have also seen dried urine look like dried blood. Sending good thoughts to you!

Still no foal here either and Meadows bag keeps getting big then shrinking. Ughhh.

Sounds like your more is very close as sometimes the blood vessels in the vulva bust from pressure. But I have also seen dried urine look like dried blood. Sending good thoughts to you!

I wondered whether yours had foaled yet. Regards the dried blood, I keep reading about the " bloody show" which is supposed to be a blood streaked mucus plug thats comes out before foaling, you dont often see it, more like just dried blood around edge, but I just wondered if anyone knew how near to foaling this comes out ? Hours / Days / 24 hours ???

I hope Meadow goes soon, if you are like me you start getting paranoid about the signs when they keep hanging on.

Good luck again and hope all is well and will want to see pics when he/she arrives. What colour are Mum and Dad?

Latest posts

Back