How much is this mare worth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will agree that price depends on much more than just having Buckeroo on the papers. There are many many horses out there that have Buckeroo on their papers. Some of them are really nice, others not quite so nice. Remember that even at the Little King sale last fall there were horses selling for very low prices (look up the old thread from late last fall) and many of those had Buckeroo breeding close up. Papers in some cases were on application, but even with paying for the paperwork to be comleted, the horses were not high priced.

Locally it seems that broodmares are not easy to sell, no matter what the breeding.

While I don't think that 10 is old at all, there are many people that do believe 10 to be "old", with 13 being "geriatric". I think of horses of 18 and up being placed into retirement homes. I bought one a couple, three, years ago as a 9 or 10 year old. Unknown to me the seller sold her to me thinking she was placing her in a retirement home. I only learned that this year and was a little taken aback; even more taken aback when the word geriatric came up in relation to mares over the age of 10. So yes, even the relatively young age of 10 will limit the market for your mare, just because of the number of people who do think of ten as very old for a horse.

HeartK, that is the problem here. As I said already, I think she might make a fine broodmare, however she is too stocky to bring top dollar on the market today. When I say "top dollar," I am talking $2500 to much, much more than that. I think you can easily expect to pay in many if not most cases $5k and more for a really nice horse. Yes, even in today's market! That being said, in order to be in that category, your mare either needs to either "look the part" or have "produced it." While you may love the more stocky ones, THE ARAB LOOK ARE GETTING THE MOST BUCKS. I have to say that for my own tastes, I would prefer a Morgan-style mini over an Arab-style or a quarter-style. I want that pretty head and swan neck but I want it sitting on a sturdy body that can get the job done in performance. That to me is a Morgan style! And that is what I seek out, regardless of the market trend. Because I am all about pleasing me. LOL :bgrin

Ally is a really good example of this. She has a HOF in Halter. I don't think she is competitive in halter these days at all. But she is an AWESOME driving horse! (photo credit: Action Taken, I have purchased this print)

allydriveLC1.jpg

That is what I believe is a horse that can be used for whatever you want to do. She is built to go out and do the job! I would be shocked to death if she could win in a halter ring today, though she has a HOF in that very event! Things have changed over the past five years, quite dramatically. And sad to say, the halter ring is still driving the economy of the miniature horse market.

I don't have $500 pets here either- not that I wouldn't have if a pet was what I wanted, and for a pet I could find one for way less than that. My horses have top bloodlines and I paid top price...they are way into the "show quality" type but I don't show :bgrin . I'm also NOT shopping for horses. Putting one son through 13 years of college/medical school is more important to me just now. I purchased top quality because I believe that's the ONLY quality that should be bred IF I were to breed...which in todays market...I'm not.

A neighbor just bought a lovely "pet" mini for $75. Great bite, great legs, great bloodlines. It's going to take more than breeders not producing babies for a year or two to change that.

But then we're getting way off topic now which was how much money that lovely little mare is worth.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Liek I said I wouldnt pay more then $800 for her, and I defenatly wouldnt buy her until after she foaled as I wouldnt be at all intrested in that foal.

You have to remember something about buckeroos bloodline. many in his bloodline have become champions and many of them have done good in the show ring. Right now I am helping a friend who wants to buy a alvadars double destiny son and he is priced at 8,000. I whole heartedly belive that price fits this stallion my friend likes for many reasons. I took into consideration quality conformation personality and yes some bloodline but not alot of it. I would sujest looking for other relitives of this mare and maybe try to base your price from there.

If I were buying a broodmare I would want to look at her foals- to me a good broodmare means a mare that gets in foal every year, foals without problems and has a foal that is better than herself.

I have little interest in the bloodlines- they are just a bonus and Buckaroo is on;y the Grandsire so she is not really a Buckeroo mare she is Buckeroo bred- which makes a difference.

She is a plain colour- not the best for selling.

She is a stocky little thing.

She has not got a recent show record.

She is not in foal nor does she have a foal.

Honestly, if I were looking for a show horse she would not do the job and if I were looking for a broodmare she is unproven, so I think Ashley is about right with the price.

A lot depends on the area you are in and a lot depends on the buyer- if I were selling her I certainly would not be asking less than $1,000.00 but I think I would be willing to take it if the right home came along.

There are SO many "Buckaroo" bred horses on the market that, unless it is a son or daughter, I am afraid I dismiss it.

Where were all the cheaper mares when I was looking? We sold a grade (mare was pregers when we got her and knew nothing about the sire) weanling colt last year for $750. I couldn't ask more than that when he had to be gelded and he had no papers and he was weak in the rear. But honestly I think we could have gotten more. The first person that looked at him bought him and we only put up flyers at the feed store. he was for sale for a week. If I had the $1500 I think I would take a chance on your mare. and most hunter/jumper and 3 day event horses are in their teens and not considered old.

just showing that she isn't crap and someone said in the earlier post that I need better pictures, not critique BECAUSE that was my first time without the trainer standing over me..

well, i think she's pretty darn cute and i'd be happy to have her!

in my part of the world, mini horses are very hard to come by. when i found rebel online and saw he was only 30 miles away, i scooped him up. he is 4. she was asking $800 and said he was show quality. i wouldn't know show quality in minis if it jumped up and bit me in the butt. i offered $600, she accepted and i brought him home. he is broke to ride (well, saddle broke...never had a bit in his mouth) and itty bitty kids have a blast sitting on him while i lead him around. he was worth every penny.

red, on the other hand, was practically in my back yard and i heard about him several months before i went to see him. at 8 years old, she simply wanted to find a good, loving home for him. she was asking $250 and i did not even hesitate. a mini is hard enough to find around here but a mini broke to drive? IMPOSSIBLE!!! both of my boys are worth triple their weight in gold and no amount of money would get them away from me.
default_smile.png

well, i think she's pretty darn cute and i'd be happy to have her!

in my part of the world, mini horses are very hard to come by. when i found rebel online and saw he was only 30 miles away, i scooped him up. he is 4. she was asking $800 and said he was show quality. i wouldn't know show quality in minis if it jumped up and bit me in the butt. i offered $600, she accepted and i brought him home. he is broke to ride (well, saddle broke...never had a bit in his mouth) and itty bitty kids have a blast sitting on him while i lead him around. he was worth every penny.

red, on the other hand, was practically in my back yard and i heard about him several months before i went to see him. at 8 years old, she simply wanted to find a good, loving home for him. she was asking $250 and i did not even hesitate. a mini is hard enough to find around here but a mini broke to drive? IMPOSSIBLE!!! both of my boys are worth triple their weight in gold and no amount of money would get them away from me.
default_smile.png
THANKS, it means a lot

I didn't weigh in on this thread orginally because the photos and information were not enough to base a price range on.

Going by the newest photos, I would say around $500 as a pet only. She is not breeding quality for many reasons and if these are a true indication of her conformation, I would be HIGHLY concerned over any foals.

I mean no disrespect when I say this, I would just urge you to study conformation and miniature horses that have dwarf characteristics and make some good choices IF YOU DO breed her. Please be careful. I know you don't want to end up with a poor quality foal nor a dwarf one, none of us does. I had one born here (very minimally afflicted/with minimal signs, some said she was NOT a dwarf, but I feel a little bit makes it so) when I bred a mare similar to your bay. I learned a lot from that.

Even if you don't feel she's a possible dwarf producer, do study basic sound conformation before you choose stallions....it is the same regardless of height of horse, so full size horse conformation diagrams are fine.

I hope you're not upset that I said this, it's just my opinion and I'm going off the photos you provided, merely concerned for her well-being as well as potential foals and your own emotional investment.

My best wishes,

Liz M.

I didn't weigh in on this thread orginally because the photos and information were not enough to base a price range on.

Going by the newest photos, I would say around $500 as a pet only. She is not breeding quality for many reasons and if these are a true indication of her conformation, I would be HIGHLY concerned over any foals.

I mean no disrespect when I say this, I would just urge you to study conformation and miniature horses that have dwarf characteristics and make some good choices IF YOU DO breed her. Please be careful. I know you don't want to end up with a poor quality foal nor a dwarf one, none of us does. I had one born here (very minimally afflicted/with minimal signs, some said she was NOT a dwarf, but I feel a little bit makes it so) when I bred a mare similar to your bay. I learned a lot from that.

Even if you don't feel she's a possible dwarf producer, do study basic sound conformation before you choose stallions....it is the same regardless of height of horse, so full size horse conformation diagrams are fine.

I hope you're not upset that I said this, it's just my opinion and I'm going off the photos you provided, merely concerned for her well-being as well as potential foals and your own emotional investment.

My best wishes,

Liz M.
can you explain more, your saying she's bad looking but others that raise top quality mini said that they would love to have her as a broodmare.

Can you please explain MORE, in detail

I can understand if you say she looks like her legs were cut off....LOL

She is also very bred and was confirmed!!!

I am not saying she's "BAD" looking. I think she's cute, but cute does not a broodmare nor show horse make.

I am basing my opinions on her conformation for one. She has a very weak hip, bad angles behind, a steep shoulder, and her overall heavy bones for her height as well as the way she's conformed (very long w/short legs) makes me suspect that if she were bred to another stallion with any at all (even just one) indicators of dwarfism she could have a dwarf, even a very badly afflicted one.

I am a bit more extreme on what I consider to be a dwarf, though, and many would not agree. I had someone wanting to pay $4000 for my little "dwarf" filly, and I held off b/c her bite began to go off. What eventually became clear to me is that she may be a minimally afflicted dwarf, i.e., a dwarf. I do not want to add to a problem, and though it ended up "costing me money" I learned the lesson and found a pet only home for my filly. Even if she was not a dwarf, her underbite was enough to take her out of the breeding scene.

I would just chalk this one up to experience, if it were me, and place her in a pet home, or keep her myself as a pet only, but that's just me. Feel free to look at my horses and see what you like or don't like, there. My horses are not perfect, but they are sound, and I don't believe I see any dwarfy characteristics. My horses show, and I ask for opinions everywhere, trying to get a feel for what others are seeing, in case I'm not fully understanding.

What you need to understand is that quality can be subjective, but sound conformation is not. There are breeders of "quality" horses that breed dwarfs every year, they breed the iffy ones and overlook conformational defects for color, for bloodlines, for height, you name it. Sometimes they get lucky, other times they do not. Why not start with the best and try for the best possible one?

That is my feeling because I only breed one or two foals per year. My biggest foal crop was 3 foals, one of which contained that "dwarf" filly. I have learned a lot as have many of us, and I'm not passing judgment on you, merely trying to offer you the benefit of my experience.

Feel free to sell her to someone else that wants a broodmare, or as a pet, anything you do is your choice. I didn't mean any offense to you or anyone else. Her hind leg angles, all else aside, are enough for me to pass, though I will also say that I do not breed smaller horses. My smallest mare is 31.50".

Liz M.

Nootka :aktion033: :aktion033:

Couldnt agree more

Nootka :aktion033: :aktion033:

Couldnt agree more
I love how people can be rude. I trying to learn THATS WHY I CAME HERE... But if this crap is all I'm going to get then I'm though.

I understand how nootka was saying and I will think on it, she wasn't being rude she was helping me.

but ashley ever time I post you always come across rude!!!

Wasnt being rude, just wasnt going to say what I was thinking but you wouldnt beleive it so just waited for somebody else to say it. Glad she did. I also think she is one of the few that will speak up and tell the truth when people ask on horses, not the most popular thing to do but its what needs to be done.

It doesnt pay to be honest, when it falls on deaf ears most of the time

Latest posts

Back