How much is this mare worth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 100% with you Lucy! Unfortunately people want pets

A good horse cost money !

A great horse cost lots of money !

Heart K Ranch

You have a very nice mare. If I were you I would wait for her foal.

A

Thanks, I guess thats more what I was looking for in a answer. Because I want to spend the money on really good horses, but then everyone says " I wouldn't have ever spent that". Or why wold would you want that thing.

Thanks everyone. I'll try to get better pictures but when I'm doing all this stuff by my self its hard to get a good picture!!!

This is a bad picture of my stud that I bred her to....... He's really refined but next year I'm breedin her to my pinto....

000_0030-1.jpg

I never base worth upon bloodlines.

My basis would be more like, conformation, disposition and soundness/health of the mare, production record of the mare, any show record? Any show record of her offspring?

Probably the last thing I look at is pedigree. I hate to say it (flame suit is on) but there seems to be millions of 'Buckaroo' bred horses out there now, with only a few top ones, and how are they about passing on the desired genes that folks wish to represent the breed?

I am making a general referal here, not speaking about Buckaroo, but there are some top stallions out there that won big in the show ring, but (am I allowed to say this?) suck as a sire. Or, how many hundreds of mares were bred to get half a dozen show champions that someone promoted, versus a possibly less popular bloodline that has had only 20 or so foals and three are doing well in the ring?

After I have looked over a horse, any offspring and other records, then I will look at bloodlines. I didnt see the pic of yours- she may be an excellent beautiful mare, but I have seen some with top bloodlines that were.. well... :smileypuke: so I will never make a purchase or set a horses value based on bloodlines.

Now if you have a top mare, who is producing even better than she is, and she happens to have a champion pedigree behind her, that is a plus. Flame away.

Edit:

Ok, went back & saw her pic- she is not bad- I have certainly seen worse! I do love her color and she appears quite healthy! I too would wait for her to foal and see what she produces. And if anyone has any nice mares for $500, please point them in my direction!! I will take them all. I would put $500.00 on an unregistered pet quality mini.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never base worth upon bloodlines.

My basis would be more like, conformation, disposition and soundness/health of the mare, production record of the mare, any show record? Any show record of her offspring? She has a show record, and the one foal she did have was 10 ten in nationals (halter), the old owner said you have to keep her on supplements to get a baby. She a little over 8 months and doing good without supplements!

Probably the last thing I look at is pedigree. I hate to say it (flame suit is on) but there seems to be millions of 'Buckaroo' bred horses out there now, with only a few top ones, and how are they about passing on the desired genes that folks wish to represent the breed? Yep too many in my opinion BUT she is 35% buckeroo and the breeder that I finally got a hold of said she was one of the best mares she had and wanted to show her all the way but her husband died and she couldn't do Nationals.

I am making a general referal here, not speaking about Buckaroo, but there are some top stallions out there that won big in the show ring, but (am I allowed to say this?) suck as a sire. Or, how many hundreds of mares were bred to get half a dozen show champions that someone promoted, versus a possibly less popular bloodline that has had only 10 or so foals and three are doing well in the ring? Your right, I'm thinking of racehorses.

stormcat wasn't the best race horse but one of the better sires

I forgot the name while I was typing BUT this stud was one of the best in his days but never had a foal go as far as stakes.....that really sucked!!!!!

After I have looked over a horse, any offspring and other records, then I will look at bloodlines. I didnt see the pic of yours- she may be an excellent beautiful mare, but I have seen some with top bloodlines that were.. well... :smileypuke: so I will never make a purchase or set a horses value based on bloodlines.

True but she is a nice looking mare, I go wow everytime I look at her. A trainer said if she wasn't 20 she would love to show this mare. "trainer is a very good reputabition(sp?)

Now if you have a top mare, who is producing even better than she is, and she happens to have a champion pedigree behind her, that is a plus. Flame away.

Thanks it helped me!

Edit:

Ok, went back & saw her pic- she is not bad- I have certainly seen worse! I do love her color and she appears quite healthy! I too would wait for her to foal and see what she produces. And if anyone has any nice mares for $500, please point them in my direction!! I will take them all. I would put $500.00 on an unregistered pet quality mini.

35% Buckeroo still puts her in the same category as numerous ones out there.

This mare is 20??? That really will affect her price also.

I'd not pay more than $500 for ANY mini in today's market. Show records mean nothing to me at all, I'd rather judge the horse than it's record. I've seen horses with "show records" that would make you wonder if the judge was really looking at them.

I honestly don't think this is the time to be buying new horses and that will have to reflect on the selling price.
Awww I'm sorry you feel that way! I'm not sure that horse lovers everywhere are going to start panicking and dumping anything with four legs... but I just think the bar has been raised as to quality in the show ring in the past 5-10 years. It takes a horse with not only refinement and balance but TYPE to win, and those "older-style" horses don't always cut it under a lot of the judges.

I also don't feel that no mini is worth over $500... I feel the "average" price for a mini that is mostly correct and mostly well-bred is closer to $1500. That was, and still is, the median price. Sure, the pet quality ones, the poorly-bred ones, the backyard-promoter ones, the ones who have medical issues or maybe even the majority of most geldings (unfortunately!) might be priced less than $1500. But most decent minis I'd price at (and SELL at!) $1500. And there ARE people willing to pay over that. And there are people willing to pay TEN TIMES that! Perhaps you don't have exposure to the market for nicer minis. If you aren't buying them, you probably aren't selling them, either? You can't create a silk purse out of a sow's ear unless you are very talented, skilled, or just plain lucky.

Andrea

Somebody seems to be a little touch today so I will remove my post. Sorry you didn't see it as a mistake of not reading the whole thread...same as you must have done. :eek: Mary

Well heck I paid more than $2k for most of the ones in my herd, in some cases significantly more! GOOD HORSES COST $$$$ in MOST cases.

That being said, based on the photos provided the mare is not what is in "fashion" in today's show ring. She may have been a big winner in her day, but the modern minis are shorter backed and longer-legged. That doesn't mean she won't have some nice foals for you, or that she is worth less than $1500 for that matter. I wouldn't price her higher than that, however.

Also the fact that she is pretty tiny doesn't play in her favor, IMO. There is a market for the smaller mares, but it is somewhat limited.

Oh where did you get 20 from? It was stated right at the beginning that the mare is 10!
default_wacko.png
: Buckeroo is advertised all the time as being the best producer ever so I do think that makes a difference. Not everyones cup of tea but can't deny what he has done for the breed! Mary
The 20 year old bit came from the orginal poster - as she said...

True but she is a nice looking mare, I go wow everytime I look at her. A trainer said if she wasn't 20 she would love to show this mare. "trainer is a very good reputabition(sp?)
Just saying something is Buckeroo lines - means very little - as others have said before me. Not all horses of the Buckeroo line are amazing specimens - or anywhere close to what a select percentage of Buckeroo lines exhibits. It is more a case of the individual than the breeding.

She may be a bit of the 'older style' BUT, that is where today's horses were bred from... They had to evolve from something. Bred to the right stallion she could produce something quite fairly nice I think?

I agree Buckeroo did great things with the help of the Eberths and their wonderful program, however the farther away from Buckeroo himself, the less genetic influence he has on any said horse. There is a lot of Buckeroo in the pedigrees of MANY MANY horses, to point of being able to say they are a dime for a dozen. They have to almost be a replica of Buckeroo himself in my opinion to be influenced.

I got 20 from the original poster who indeed put that in her answer, I hadn't seen the age in the previous posts by her.

So your little wacky smily was uncalled for.

Oh where did you get 20 from? It was stated right at the beginning that the mare is 10!
default_wacko.png
: Buckeroo is advertised all the time as being the best producer ever so I do think that makes a difference. Not everyones cup of tea but can't deny what he has done for the breed! Mary

I would add that this is why you MUST post ONLY the best photos of your horses, especially those you want to sell or for showing sire and dam of those you want to sell.

It simply does not cut it to post a photo and say "She looks much better than this." Sorry, but people will believe their eyes, and if you post less than the best photos, they will believe that she is less than the best. Period.

Get down on the ground so that you are shooting level with her. DO NOT under any circumstances shoot from above, or her legs will look quite short. Place yourself midway front to back, or she is going to look poorly proportioned. Groom her as if you would for a show. Take many, many photos so that one of them might turn out good. If you don't get a good one, then shoot many, many more until you get it right.

You definitely want to get what she is worth, but you need to prove to your potential buyers that she is indeed worth the price you ask.

well I think that she is cute, IMO I like the older stocker style. The more refined ones look too fragile. I would defiently pay the 1500 for her, she is cute, she looks like she has personality, and looks well cared for.

Well, I think she's cute from what I can see! And I love the Buckeroo bloodlines. Definitely worth the $1500, especially if she's bred.

I'd not pay more than $500 for ANY mini in today's market.
Unfortunately, too many people think this and now no one can get the prices they should anymore....

Lucy
I'm with you, but that's called "supply and demand". Unfortunatly "should" is a state of mind. "Should" is what we'd get in an ideal world. In reality too many breeders have been churning out too many babies and like a sponge that's already wet...the market just can't suck up anymore.
default_smile.png

Perhaps you don't have exposure to the market for nicer minis. If you aren't buying them, you probably aren't selling them, either?

Andrea
Actually I'm within a hour and a half of Scott Creek, MiniV's and numerous other top level breeders (which is where my horses came from...at a price wayyy higher than the $1500 mentioned
default_yes.gif
: ). But like you said...I'm not buying at the moment and I'm certainly not selling
default_wink.png
: Neither am I a breeder.
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

You wouldn't buy ANY of the top level breeders horses around there for over $500???

Andrea

I just wanted put this out there she has buckeroo on her PAPERS. He's not that far back. The a great grandsire on the mares side.

IMO I like the quarter/arab cross looking horses. When I bought the first "arab" they looked to delicate for my tastes.

If I just wanted a pet, I also would expect to pay around $500. There is not a thing wrong with wanting a mini for "just" a pet (Noting is more valued in my life than my pets). However, I sure haven't paid only $500 for the horses that eat my hay................ It depends on what you want to do with your horses but if you want quality, it's very hard to find that for $500 and that is how it SHOULD be.

Back