how far

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dein

Reaction score
Just wondering how far is the furthest you have ever drove your minis and what every body thinks is to far to go on one trip

You can go as far as they are conditioned. If you take your time to condition your horse properly, you could drive across the country! There is one doing that right now!Ours usually go at least a couple miles around the arena, then a cool off walk of a mile down the road.

The farthest I've ever driven at one time is 6 miles.

Usually we go 2 miles; I have a couple of routes of that length. A four mile one occasionally, but we are both tired when we get home. I know some drivers regularly do 8-10 miles. Maybe they will chime in.

It is a commitment of a chunk of time to go for long drives, and the seat of a cart is not that comfortable for a long drive. Plus keeping up the posture, the focus--I'm better off with 2 mile drives. We usually trot the whole way, then finish with walking at the end.

During summer and fall I will drive for 4 hours or more at a time. I've never clocked it properly to see what the greatest distance is but it is much more than I would expect from any of them in the spring when they are coming off the winter lay off. I usually drive them at least 3 times a week and will begin my longer drives at a walk only then as they become more accustomed to the longer working time i will ask for a working trot and even occasionally an extended trot. I don't believe my horses are even reaching their potential (they are still inclined to need reminding not to pick up a faster gait on their own at times lol)and yes, there is a driver going across the country with her mini (see the thread "the Caravan") I have pretty much thought of my minis the same as my trail horses when I rode. If I was up for the ride/drive and didn't push for speed they could (once they'd been used regularly) go all day with breaks in between for a snack and a drink.

Thanks for the info I am planning on working my Lil guy up to do some decent rides he shocked me today and went trotting off witch he has never done before he just would walk really slow like he could care less but today he had some pep in his step:) but on another note on our way back home he kept wanting to drift to the left is their a way to fix this it was just on our way home like he wanted to go in every ones drive

Thanks for the info I am planning on working my Lil guy up to do some decent rides he shocked me today and went trotting off witch he has never done before he just would walk really slow like he could care less but today he had some pep in his step:) but on another note on our way back home he kept wanting to drift to the left is their a way to fix this it was just on our way home like he wanted to go in every ones drive
Drifting, in my limited experience, is a physical thing. He may benefit from chiro. One thing you might try is standing on his left side and asking him to move away from you during walks or working on ground work. When he is standing still, see if he is resting more on one front leg. If so, ask him to move until he is resting on the other leg. Is the wear on his hooves even on both front feet?

Hopefully others with more experience will chime in. You might try asking in separate topic.

Mine does it too. The only thing I can think of is: rein pressure (make sure you're not accidently putting more pressure on your strong side), wanting to be in the middle of the road if driving on a real road( painted lines, ditches) or inexperience(you and her). Hope you can work it out!

Seven mile loop- no road work at all, I am very lucky! Although a lot depends on condition, obviously, a lot also depends on what you ask of the horse, if you are willing to take it really easy, and to get out and walk if you consider it necessary, then some conditioning can be done "on the hoof" as it were! I got her so far, then we did the rest as we went, once she was happy ambling along.

My first thought was that he was over zealous on the way out and then was tired on the way home and wanted every drive to be his. it seems like a spring thing.

Latest posts

Back