how early is too early?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am posting for Cilla some pics of her gorgeous new colt
default_smile.png

devon.jpg

OMG -- what a handsome little boy!!!!! Just LOVE that face!!!! CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!

Hi oreo and little devon doing great. Had his first trip out to the field today. Gosh he loves to run and jump about. Was a bit worried about mum as she didnt poo for ages after the birth. Had the vet look at them both and give shots. Oreo did a nice big poo this evening. How sad am i happy to see a poo. Thanks everyone for helping me and answering my questions. You will have to put up with me for a while yet goblet still to foal. She is at day 309.

I am so glad you managed to get them out for some fresh air, try and let oreo graze dome grass as it will help get things moving. If you don't have grass maybe some alfalfa.

It is normal for the mares to not poop after for a while as they usually empty out before foaling. Try and give her several small wet feeds spread out during the day and evening, just break down her total daily intake into lots of little ones.

How about sone outside pics
default_smile.png

Hi everyone. Devon and mum doing great. She is such a great mum for a first timer. I have a few questions. Devon likes to nibble on mums feed bothmeal and hay. I now put her feed up where he cant reach was wondering is it harmful to him at this age. I know he is only learning by doing what mum is doing. He is also nibbling on grass so cute to watch. Also i was thinking of entering oreo and devon he a mare a foal class in a local show any advice on taking a baby out to show. Thanks guys. I am still waiting a goblet to foal she is 315 days now. Cant wait for devon to have a playmate.

As long as you are feeding a quality mare and foal feed then it is fine for little Devon to share his momma's feed, but you can also give him his own little bowl to 'play' with!!

As far as entering a show is concerned, there is no real reason why you shouldn't, depending upon his age at the time of course, but I dont think that I would do it - too many possibilities for Devon to pick up some sort of bug ( from either the other strange horses or from the showground itself, he will not have any immunity to 'outside' bugs) or worse still bring back some sort of bug to your home/barn where you would have the possibility of passing it on to your other animals - when is the show and allowing for the fact that Goblet might go to 340 or even longer before she foals, how old would her baby be then?

Talking of Goblet, I think that it is time that we had a few pictures of her as well as new ones of Oreo and Devon.
default_yes.gif

I can't wait to see little Devon!

So cute that he's eating mom's food. If she's not happy sharing, just give him his own little bowl! I just love watching them "gum" all the food!! So cute!!!

And pictures of Goblet please!

Hi can i have some advice from the pros. Do you cover you mares in hand or let them run with the stallion. I covered my two girls by hand last year i am aware this is better for working out due dates just wondering what the pros and cons were. Thanks.

I cover mine in hand every other day for a week and then turn them out with the stallion for another week or until they send him packing. Lol I found this much easier to calculate the due dates.

I've always just pasture bred mine, and have had a good success rate, since some of the girls are "modest" and only want to be bred when no one is watching! LOL

We have done it both ways and have never really had a problem calculating date - just watch what is happening very carefully! But I think the main consideration is to how the stallion reacts to being with foals, plus a lot of mares are pretty protective of their babies and foals can get injured in some of the behaviour that occurs.

Hi update on my devon. He gave us a fright last week. Left him out for a run with his mum saturday morning. He seamed grand running and bucking as devon does. When to see him after about two hours and he had a runny nose so brought him in. He was panting a bit and looked cold so i called the vet. He had pneumonia. Poor pet. Felt so guilty thinking what did i do wrong. He is finished all is meds now and is back to him self. Was so worried.

Oh poor baby
default_sad.png
I am so glad he is feeling better now. How about some pics?

KUDOS for keeping such a close eye on him and catching it before it became too serious!! And don't worry yourself, I'm sure you did everything just fine! Like children, our little ones are prone to catchng things -- but the REAL "catch" was done by you!! Great job!

We MUST have more pictures....please!!!

Last edited:
I just read your thread and Im sorry to hear about the passing of your mare and foal last year, how heartbreaking.

your little Devon is just the sweetest looking little guy...congratulations!I love his little star. Good job in you paying attention and taking action when you first noticed his runny nose. This forum has really taught me that these youngsters can go down hill very quickly and you being on top of things is wonderful.....good mommy award heading your way!! yup!!...more pictures needed!

Latest posts

Back