Is she pregnant and how far along would you say?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookeB

Reaction score
Hi I’m new here just picked up two 13 year old minis from a kill pen, they came in together, a stallion and a mare, they strongly suspected she’s in foal but it’s not vet confirmed. She has a very calm personality is a little scared and unsure still, he’s super in your face friendly already. This is a pic i took yesterday. I assume she would be due early spring March/April but that’s purely based on mares probably not foaling in winter months. Honest opinions what do you think?

Attachments

• 4112C23E-4E16-4013-9DE1-094D331F0AAF.jpeg
    4112C23E-4E16-4013-9DE1-094D331F0AAF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bless your heart for opening your home to two little souls. They're very lucky that you've provided them a soft landing. In my opinion, you're likely right. However, the timeline is so hard to say. Best bet is to watch her udder development. That's what I always do. When the udder is full and the fluid turns to a white, milky colour and the Ph drops, it's time. Before that, it's so hard to say. Most of us who have bred have experienced the same thing with mares who get big early on, or mares who don't look pregnant until they're in labor.

Best wishes to you though, and please keep us updated! 🥰

Usually a good theory, but I did have an unplanned foal in late November last year so don’t count on it lol. With how lopsided she is I’d feel pretty confident that she was in foal. I’d keep an eye on her udder development, how soft she is around her tail head, and belly changes. And make sure that she’s off fescue asap.

Welcome to the forum Brooke. Are they siblings?

That looks very lopsided, which makes me think foal. Then again it could be just the way she is standing, or she could have some swelling from an injury. If that is foal, a march due date would put her about 6 months. The foal is still tiny at 6 months, I wouldn't think there would be so much lopsided ness yet. And minis seem to defy the laws of pregnancy that regular horses live by. I'm guessing an early Christmas present, but a side view and udder pics might change my mind.

I agree with LostandFound. If she were mine (and in the absence of side, udder and private bits photos), I'd be preparing for a winter foal. My guess is around the first of the year.🤗🥰

In the Pregnancy, Foaling and Mare Stare thread, there are some great resources pinned to the top. Be sure to read through them all as they're a tremendous help.

Beyond that, welcome to the forums!

I don’t know how to respond to more then one person here at a time so I hope this works. First of all thank you for all the responses it really helps. What I do know about them is if she’s in foal it’s to him and they’ve been together a long time so I’m assuming she’s had his babies before too, I even know their names which they respond to so that was a good thing. It seems they were hoping someone would buy both and they wouldn’t get separated. This info was left with the auction but when they didn’t sell the kill pen took them. He has a snotty nose it started two days ago so he’s on an antibiotic hope she doesn’t get sick. Oh my gosh you think she could have a winter foal it’s so cold!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Brooke. Are they siblings?
Thank you, I only know they’ve been together a long time and were said to be a bonded pair that’s why I took both of them. What’s cute about them is she’s mostly white with a smidge of black and he’s mostly black with a little white, but she has blue eyes

Last edited:
I agree with LostandFound. If she were mine (and in the absence of side, udder and private bits photos), I'd be preparing for a winter foal. My guess is around the first of the year.🤗🥰

In the Pregnancy, Foaling and Mare Stare thread, there are some great resources pinned to the top. Be sure to read through them all as they're a tremendous help.

Thank you!

Welcome! Can we see a pic of your stallion too?
Thank you, we drove from California to Oklahoma to pick them up so the pics with the straw floor is my trailer on the way home. They’re both really tiny about 30 inches, i didn’t expect that they never said how big they were

Attachments

• EA37BB2D-C051-403E-8E04-C84E49DBFCAB.jpeg
    EA37BB2D-C051-403E-8E04-C84E49DBFCAB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1525A008-3547-472D-94C6-7C8F5F0ADD6A.jpeg
    1525A008-3547-472D-94C6-7C8F5F0ADD6A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 140BA061-3FC9-4485-9165-7EA2CDC9CFA9.jpeg
    140BA061-3FC9-4485-9165-7EA2CDC9CFA9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 175472ED-E2B0-4212-B02B-B59FFA5EA737.jpeg
    175472ED-E2B0-4212-B02B-B59FFA5EA737.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 0
The mare is coughing a bit more today, a very dry cough not junky at all, no discharge except from one eye which I’ve been putting medication in. The stallion is on an antibiotic because his nose was super snotty and gross. My newest fear now is they could have EHV does anyone know anything about it, would I know if they did? Only thing I do know about it is that it causes abortion 2-12 weeks after the illness :( worst thing about auctions and kill pens is they always come sick or shortly after.

Well, sounds like they are both going to be sick. That's got to be frustrating for you. If you want to know what it is the vet can probably test it. It might be worth the cost of having the vet out anyway. They can check if she really is pregnant, and probably find out exactly what this is.

Well, sounds like they are both going to be sick. That's got to be frustrating for you. If you want to know what it is the vet can probably test it. It might be worth the cost of having the vet out anyway. They can check if she really is pregnant, and probably find out exactly what this is.
You’re so right it’s VERY frustrating. I’ve already been in contact with them they called in the antibiotic, I picked up a 500 pill container of SMZ, some Banimine paste and Neomycin Polymyxin B for her eye. He’s just swamped and unless it’s an emergency which he knows I’d call in a second then I have everything I need. He feels like it would be shipping fever as it came on not to long after they got here and is very common when horses have to spend multiple days in a trailer state to state, I hope he’s right so bad, EHV is such a fear. What’s the best way to test her? I hear blood is not always accurate? They’d have to stress her out big time to palpate and I wouldn’t want them to do that, she’s still a little scared and unsure of everything. The stallion was going crazy on my other mares but never her which makes me think even more she’s in foal. He’s very persistent even seeing them from a distance.

Last edited:
My vet ended up starting her on 3 SMZ tablets twice a day her nose was a little gross today. He said it’s safe and is what they use for Placentitis in pregnant mares so for me not to worry about the baby if of course there is one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back