how early is too early?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry you had a bad experience the first time. Sometimes, I don't know what people are thinking about when breeding the "tinnies" to tall stallions. It's find to breed a tall mare to a small stallion, but the reverse is not good when you go too many inches higher, IMO.

I'm sure all will be fine with your little one. I bought a mare pregnant a few years ago that wasn't even 28" tall -- and I found out later the stallion was 34-35" that was NOT a nicely refined stallion -- but a "big lug" !! It was 3 hours before we could get that dead little foal out -- and almost lost momma -- but she was an "ornery" girl with a severe will to live -- and she did! But I've lost more than one mare in foaling -- and it's always a very hard thing to move by.

Looking forward to this ltitle one -- and very excited!! Remember, if you think of any questions you have, just ask away! We're here for you!

Last edited:
So sorry to read that you lost your little Ivy. I had a similar situation many years ago with a small mini I purchased from a market because I felt sorry for her and as she was offered with the stallion who was with her (at lest 8 inches bigger than her and a heavyweight - he was sold spearately) I was suspicious that she might be in trouble foaling. She was. The foal was too big and even with her sedated there was no way he was going to even get into the birth canal. So I had my vet give her another injection and we sent her on her way to Rainbow Bridge. Bless her, she was such a sweet little girl and I still think of her often.

I'm sure your little ones will be fine to your small boy and cant wait to see what he produces for you.
default_yes.gif

Hi oreo still keeping us waiting and worried!! Her bag is full all the time now and nipples are pointing down and parted. All these signs i have learned on here. Thanks guys. I have learned so much. She is now standing up most of the night if she does lay down she is up again in a few min. And back standing in her corner. She seams very tired and moody. Is this normal is there a reason or is it than she cant get comfey when she us down?

Are you able to camp out with her from now on (if you arn't already)? With a full tight udder 24 hours day and the teats pointing down, she is obviously getting very close. Her final sign might be when her teats suddenly look filled/swollen.

A lot of mares dont lay down as they get close to foaling, some will happily lay sternal for varying lengths of time and others will lay flat out, dreaming happily, they are all different! I am very lucky in that my situation lets me deep litter my horses on good quality straw. This means that from approx a month before their due dates when they all start living in at night, we deep litter the straw. We start with a really deep bed of fresh straw and stamp it down until is around 9" thick/solid when we are standing on it. From then on a generous amount of straw is added daily so the beds end up around 12"+ deep/thick by the time the mares foal. ALL droppings are picked up by hand as soon as they are deposited throughout the day, if the mare is in/with her foal, and throughtout the night as well. Any urine soaks through to floor level and the top layers of the bed always stay dry. The consequence of all this bedding is that all my mares, without exception, will lay down flat out happily for fong periods during the night and I'm sure this is because the 'round' of their tummies sinks into the bedding leaving their spines and heads comfortably in a straight line - mares who try laying flat out in a field or a stall without a thick floor covering, will find that their heads are lower due to the size of their tummies, and as they are not keen on this, I think they return to the sternal position quite quickly or get up only to try laying down again later.

Of course this is just my opinion, and it also means that we are faced with the mamoth task of mucking out the deep litter, but it is only once year for those foaling stables. I do keep my other horses on a similar system, and usually do a clear out for them every couple of months or so. It just suits me to do it this way and they all love their big comfy beds. LOL!!

Sending prayers for a safe foaling and a gorgeous healthy baby.

Anna: Wow, 12"! That's wonderful! It's good to know that I could do that. I've been stripping down the straw weekly down to nothing and trying to build it back up again, but it hasn't been getting very deep at all doing it that way... I'm going to try that!
default_worshippy.gif

Cilla: My only experience with foaling was a QH that had too big of a foal. The vet had to cut it out to save the mare, then I had to sell the mare to pay the vet bill. "Once bit, twice shy..." I finally took a chance with my mini last year when breeding her. I bred her to a stud that was 6-7" shorter than her to be on the safe side, but I still get so worried. I'm driving my hubby insane... It must have been so horrible to lose both of them. I still terribly miss my mare and think of her baby often. He was born on April 27, 2003. Or shall I say died, as he never took a breath. I still remember, and i never wrote it down.

I pray we both have no problems with the deliveries of our babies this month!!
default_pray.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you have a bad foaling you worry like mad.oreo is all i think about. Sure know what ye mean when talking about the lack of sleep. I have her on camra and have the tv right beside my bed. Never close my eyes for more than 20mins at a time.i have another mare goblet due four weeks after oreo so the watching will go on for a while yet. Oreo very tired today bag very big and hard nipples are also swollen today. To look at her from the side he big belly seams to be gone it is all hanging under her now. Is it normal not to feel much foal movement at this stage?

Yes Cilla it is quite normal, it is a good sign that she is close
default_smile.png

Sounds very promising, as baby doesn't have much room to move around in as momma gets close to foaling! Sounds just perfect!

Just my luck we are in the middle of a storm here in ireland and the power is off. So no camra and no light in the stables. So guess who will be out for the night with a torch. Oreo still the same. Bag fit to burst. She has a blood coloured discharge this evening should i be worried

No it is probably her mucus plug. Can you take a pic for us to check? Stay safe, I hope the storm moves on fast. Look out as storms bring babies. Lol

I think I would be outside right alongside her tonight, unless you are checking every 15 minutes, she sounds that close, and storms often seem to trigger foalings.
default_yes.gif

We are also suffering violent gale force winds here in Wales right now - and they are blowing in from your direction so please stop sending them across the Irish Sea!! LOL!!

Good luck and safe foaling.
default_yes.gif

Tonight is YOUR night to stay in attendance, it sounds like! She sounds very close and we'll be praying that all goes well if she decides to foal!!
default_pray.gif

Hi oreo had a little colt. Jet black with a star. Every thing went well with the birth. Thanks for all your help and advice.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! So glad to hear all went well!! and now the hardest part for the Aunties is waiting to see pictures of the new little boy!! Sounds very cute!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back