How do you hook up your mini when alone?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenna

Reaction score
I just bought my second mini, who is an accomplished CDE horse with excellent training. He came with his perfectly fitting comfort harness (Yeah) and I got to buy his Pacific smart cart so we have already had a few drives with help hooking up.

He is easy to harness. Do I just take his cart out to where I want to get into to drive (was told it was not good to lead him with cart hooked up) then bring him and hold onto reins while I hook up cart and get in?

My husband recommended tying him at the post in field but it is awkward to turn away from it. (would be a turn around the cart which I haven't done yet)

Could everyone tell me how they do it alone?

P. S. I'm not very agile or quick, got hurt a while bucked off of a big horse and my left hip is still wacky, but driving is easy.

My cart is not stored by my harness. I bring the cart to the harness area. I always tie my horse while harnessing. I think he would stand, but I don't want to take a chance. I buckle the halter around his neck while harnessing. When I am ready to enter the cart, I loosen the halter and we are ready to drive.

When we return, I put the halter around his neck, unhitch, remove the bridle, and rehalter him properly.

I have always had to work alone and this system works for me.

Your well trained horse may have been taught to STAND while harnessing. Ideally, one should be able to harness in the middle of an open field, with nary a fence post, hitching rack, or helper in sight.

Thank you, I think the halter around the neck should work
default_smile.png
I want to take the cart and then the harnessed mini down to flatter ground and have a good plan becauase I have a LARGE horse mounting block (wooden) in just about the right area to tie him to to hook the cart. Just thought of that this morning
default_smile.png
But the halter around the neck will solve the faster release issue.

I have one of those halters with a buckle nose band. I had it made big enough to go over my bridle. I have it on as a halter, then when ready for my driving bridle I unbuckle the nose band and let the halter drop and hang around the neck. Once bridle is on, I buckle the halter back over the bridle while I do the rest of my hook up, and then when I am satisfied all around my harness is right I take off the halter while holding my reins and I mount quickly. I do all my hook up between the posts of my gate of my warm up area using cross ties attached to the gate posts. I have a mat down on the ground that he stands on so he can't reach for grass. When I mount we are facing into the training arena and I drive forward and warm up in my arena. My gate is open and my gate is wide. When ready I would drive out the gate and go on a trail drive. When I return I again pause and ask him to stand in the opening of the training area, I dismount and reach for the halter and put it on.

I also practiced hook up in the field with no cross ties and no helper (she was near by and watching).. but mostly I felt most comfortable with the above arrangement because it gave me time to go over everything again and I could take my time which was good for my boy who tends to get impatient with waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks shorthorsemom, you make a good point and I can hook up in my large paddock that lets me open the gate wide to drive out.

Sounds like everyone agrees not to lead the horse while hooked up to a cart?

Yesterday I hooked up for the first time alone, yet supervised. (Different horse than featured in my "whoa!" post!) I made sure he would whoa & stand before even attempting this. Then I harnessed him, led him over to where the cart is (storage issues won't allow the cart to go to him at the harness area at this time), bridled him & left the halter on his neck while I got ready. He stood like a statue the whole time, and was an angel while I mounted the cart. It being my first time alone, I think it worked smoothly. I am considering trying a collar as it would be one less bulky thing hanging around & I could leave it on. When we were done, I repeated the steps backwards.

I have to askjust how big/heavy is this wooden mounting block?

Unless it is anchored to the ground (OR weighs a few hundred pounds) I would NOT

tie a horse to it, not under any circumstances, and especially not when I am going to

hitch that horse to a cart. You may think the block is heavy enough that the horse

cannot move it, but you might be surprised what a horse can move if he really

decides to try and take off.

I would stand him there untied and hitch him that way before I would tie him

to anything that might move. A well trained driving horse should be able to stand there

untied, with no one holding him, but it does mean that you, the driver, must always have the

lines in hand. Practice hitching him up while you have someone standing close, but not actually

holding himjust someone to be right there in casethen you hitch him up as if you are there

all on your own. Keep the lines in your hand; the only time you put them down is when you

must change sides, then you fold them over the horses back, walk around the front (where you still

have hold of one line, then the other one as you change sidespay attention so your horse doesnt

step forward and knock into youonce you are on the other side you

pick up the lines again and then finish fastening the harness on that side.

Thanks Minimor, good advice. I do have fence posts I can use instead although it weights 100 lbs at least
default_smile.png

I agree, and think I will try him untied in my paddock because he's very well behaved but will be sure to have lines. Thanks for instructions about what to do to change sides. This harness and cart are set up for CDEs so easy and fast to hook up (snaps on breeching, quick release tugs, etc)

Should I hook tug up on off side first then near side?

100 lbs will not hold a miniature horse if he decides to take off. I weigh more than that, and I've had one drag me. A yearling dragged my 200 lb husband. It is not something one ever wants to introduce into the driving equation on purpose-- set yourself up to succeed.

Sometimes one has to lead a horse that is hitched. Just be aware that if one loses his hold on the reins for even a split second, one could have a disaster.

Yep, a mini can drag 100+ lbs no problem at all. Not only can they drag 100+ lbs, but they can do it in high gear! LOL

An important point to remember is that horses are creatures of habit. That is, they will continue to do what they are taught to do as long as it is done the same way each time. When you put to, if you consistantly do it the same way each time, you won't have a problem.

We always put to with the horse tied to a post, hitching rail, gate, or something solid in front of them. That way they can't/won't try to move forward during the process. When everything is attached and checked for safety, we untie them from the rail or whatever and enter the vehicle. The horse will stand because it is used to standing for the process, Once we are comfortable on the seat, we ask the horse to back about 3 steps, turn and walk away. This is safe and easy for you and the horse. When returning from the drive, do the process in reverse.

By the way, another safety thing to keep in mind, always take the vehicle away from the horse, not the horse away from the vehicle. if you forgot to undo a holdback or trace you will find out quickly and can stop and finish taking the strap off. Leading the horse from the vehicle can cause a bad wreck if the horse starlles and bolts when it realizes it is still hooked to the vehicle.

Always think SAFETY first! Good Luck and have fun

I am the complete opposite. I do not hitch a horse until it stands without tying up and will never tie a horse in harness. Just something I was always taught and something I always do. Some nasty wrecks have happened that way.

Re leading a harnessed horse- yes it has it's problems but if you are wary (which I think you may be wise to be, although it is one of my [many] bad habits) you can always ground drive.....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoUW4HTwb2Q

Here is how I train and hook mine. This is a green broke (hadn't been shown yet) Shetland pony.

I do tie my horses to harness them up, but then I ground drive them from the tie area to the cart. I like to hook in a big open area. Once the bridle is on, the horse needs to be in "work mode"... No fussing and when I say STAND it means they have to stand still until they hear the cue to go.

I would be nervous hooking while tied... What if the horse pulled back with a halter around its neck or tried to spin?

Ideally, hooking with a header is the way to go.

Whatever works... Judge safety as carefully as you can and do what's best for the situation.

My cart is not stored by my harness. I bring the cart to the harness area. I always tie my horse while harnessing. I think he would stand, but I don't want to take a chance. I buckle the halter around his neck while harnessing. When I am ready to enter the cart, I loosen the halter and we are ready to drive.

When we return, I put the halter around his neck, unhitch, remove the bridle, and rehalter him properly.

I have always had to work alone and this system works for me.

Your well trained horse may have been taught to STAND while harnessing. Ideally, one should be able to harness in the middle of an open field, with nary a fence post, hitching rack, or helper in sight.
That's how I do it.

I would not hesitate to lead him (or ground drive him) while hitched, but I do watch what is going on VERY carefully. I don't want the first time he pulls an empty cart to be a panic situation. Might want to be cautious if your horse is twitchy about it, but so far Legend is the most level headed being I know... LOL. Most days anyway.

Turning in a tight spot is one of the first things we tackled, which makes it MUCH easier. The first time, he just stopped after an expression that said, "WHAT the... ??! MY BUTT WON"T TURN!" Then he figured it out, and though still green he remembers pretty quickly.

Thank you for everyone's advice. Pic has been wonderful about standing for harnessing and hooking up. One of my problems is I can't hook up in the barn because there is a big drop off out of the barn and downhill for about 60 ft so we've been putting the cart on at the bottom of the slope. I'm going to keep my extra help for a while.

A little late responding here - we're all cryin' about spring not coming and wishing we were driving. LOL

Here is our hitching place last year. (Very early in spring, lots of hair in this pic.)

First pic - she is tied to the gate - you can see the halter around her neck - all harnessed up.

2nd pic you can see her waiting by the gate (tied). I'm about to hitch up the cart.

Once the cart is hitched and harness checked, I untie the halter from her neck.

I have a firm grip on her reins while I do this, then step back and get in the cart while picking up the whip.

When we get back, I drive her right into the same spot but facing in - I get out and tie her up, then immediately unhitch the cart. I would rather have a solid wall or gate I could tie to (horse facing the wall) but I don't have this setup here. She knows this is the hitching spot.

I know some people lead the horse while it's hitched, also some people ground drive from behind the cart. I don't do this, because if they spook or bolt, they could rip the reins out of your hands, especially if you are distracted. Only need to see this happen once and you will understand why a loose horse hitched to a cart can be distastrous!

harnessed.jpg

Lacey & cart.jpg

I was taught as Rabbitfizz said. Never tie a horse while being hitched. Even in our driving club it is frowned upon to tie a horse while putting to cart and unhitching. It takes practice and once you have formed a routine your horse will get it. Safety always first.

I agree with the above--I never ground drive from behind the cart (nor even from beside it) because it is all too easy for the horse to get away if he spooks at something. If you think you can hang on and keep your feet and get the horse stopped from your position behind the cart--I suggest that you are in for an unhappy surprise in the event your horse ever does take off while you are in that position. I will lead a horse that is hitched, if it is necessary--I am much ore confident of maintaining control of the horse if I am right there beside him with a firm grip on the reins right by his chin. It's just important to stay out of the way of the cart shaft, which I find easier to do with a Mini than with a big horse!

It is interesting to hear what people have been taught - different "you must never"s!
default_smile.png

I agree, safety first. And calm routine adds to safety, whatever you do.

Lacey was taught to be harnessed and hitched while in the barn aisle, crosstied.

With me, no barn aisle, I tie her up (I tie HIGH, although I see there is a bit more slack than I intended in her tie line).

She knows this is the routine - see her hind foot cocked in the pic.

As I harness alone (or I would have to give up the sport), this is my routine and so far, so good.

I've been shown by a friend a different system - she has a half sheet of plywood mounted on a couple of posts, with hitching ring in center. The horse is hitched while facing this blank wall, and at the end of the ride the horse is driven back into the same position, facing the wall again. I like this, but don't have an easy way or place to set this up. Hills and slopes all over the place.

This has been an interesting thread to read, thanks!

PS, I too if I had to make a choice between leading or ground driving while hitched, it would be leading, as Minimor says above, with a firm grip close to the chin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back