How did you come up with your farm name?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always been fond of the horses that carried the dilute gene in them.

So I decided on Platinum Stables as a farm name, due to it being an intentional factor in my horses.
default_smile.png

At first, when Deb and I were trying to choose a farm name Deb put our initials together which came up with DOLL and that was almost our farm name, but...It just didn't "feel" like the right name...so I went looking on the net for names...Someone (who does not raise horses and not in my area) has a farm name "Thistledew" (it is a play on words..."This'll do") and I thought it was really clever. Deb wasn't so thrilled, but it kind of stuck and now it is our farm name....
default_rolleyes.gif

MiLo Acres, the training part of our name, comes from my husband's name, Mike (and now my daughter's name Mickey), and my name Lori. It is also somewhat descriptive of our farm - my low acres
default_biggrin.png
We get pretty wet here at certain times of year.

Maple Mountain Miniatures is my breeding partnership with my sister. She came up with the name to represent us both. We had a maple sugar farm when we were kids with a huge big hill on it covered in maples - we called it the maple mountain. So, even though there isn't a single hill on my farm here, we, Dale and I, are Maple Mountain Miniatures.

My farm is named after my 1st two minis. I bought a deep bay stallion (maple syrup color) and a silver dapple mare. Lived in the woods at the time surrounded by maple trees...

Silver Maple Miniatures

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband and I have shown terriers for many, many years. I used "Foxfyre Wires" for my wire fox terriers since 1968. I wanted to use "Foxfyre" as our horse name, but AMHA would not allow it as there was already a "Foxfire."

Our beloved dog, "Aristocrat," was #1 Wire Fox terrier in 2007. We decided to name our "farm" after our fantastic show dog, Aristocrat. Tragically, our Aristocrat passed away last summer. We use the name

Aristocratic Miniatures in honor of our much loved wire fox terrier.

I decided to use "Brass Ring" for my farm and prefix, because my first choice "Carousal" was being used by another farm. I am a big fan of the vintage carousals. We were so happy with with our first horses, we felt we had caught the 'brass ring' on the carousal and could still reflect somewhat on the first choice.

I love this thread.
default_smile.png

My husband and I had been looking for a name for our land for a while. There is a very small farm not too far from us named "Almosta Ranch" and I *love* that name. We only have 5 acres, which is not a lot, so we started playing with words that mean small. After a little bit of word play, my husband actually came up with our farm/land name and I created its spelling. Thus, Noddalotta Farm was born.
default_wub.png

I knew of the name "Rhinehart" even before I knew my husband, because there were kids in my 4-H program that were Rhineharts (turns out they are cousins). I always liked that name and secretly wished that it was my name instead of the boring last name that I had. Wouldn't you know, I started dating and marrying a Rhinehart, and I got that name!
default_aktion033.gif

I wanted something that included our name in it so that people knew whose place it was. Also, like has been said, I didn't want "stable" (we are more than just a horse farm), "farm" (we really don't produce crops, which is what a farm is around here), "acres" (not really me), "ranch" (we aren't that big), or minis (we have big horses, too) as an ending.

I saw an Arabian farm advertised that was called Stone Ridge (we have a bit of a hill on our property...
default_rolleyes.gif
), and I liked that, so I added the Rhine but capitalized the Stone so that it didn't look so much like a cheap rock...and my husband agreed to RhineStone Ridge. We add Carriages on the tags of the carriages we build for RhineStone Ridge Carriages.

Circle J is the brand chosen by my great grandfather when he moved to Canada and started raising beef cattle.

O Henrys Minitails

My grandfathers name is Orlando Henry which is where the O Henry came from...Minitails was added on by my grandmother...she said "it just flowed". We use O Henrys at the beginning of our horses names. Sometimes if the name gets long, just OHMT at he end

My great grandmother was Mars because her name is Martha and alot of people call her Marnie-she shortened it to Mars. Never paid for the name so now someone else is using it. She now uses C Mars--added the C because her last name is Crandall.

I wanted our farm name to have something to do with where we lived. We live along the seacoast in Maine. So "Maine Seacoast Miniatures" it is!

Last edited by a moderator:
My have I enjoyed all the fabulous stories - so very interesting! Now we know alittle more about you~

We purchased our farm in 1981 and no one had done any hunting there in years. We were thrilled to see all the deer - literally everywhere!

When we purchased our farm in '81 we were raising 90 acres of tobacco on his grandparents farm and on other farms we rented (all in another county). We wanted a farm name and my husband, the avid hunter thought White Tail Farm would be appropriate because of all the white tail deer there.

The name stayed with us to present day and even though we went through tobacco, hogs, cattle, sheep, horses and now minis - - we just thought White Tail Farm had been around so long - why come up with a different name? So now you know it's not anything to do with the minis - No, our horses do NOT all have white tails! LOL That's a myth LOL

The deer population has remained high on our farm (thanks to biologic food plots and good hunting ethics and management) so the name still makes sense 30 years later - I've posted pics on the forum of our deer here and there. They are out and about in herds of 8- 15 at any one time. I believe they truly think they are minis! LOL

Yes, a freezer full always - of course.

P.S. Good thing we ventured out on our own and bought our own farm because grandparents died and hubby's father had 3 greedy siblings - it wasn't long before that 300 acres became thousands of houses in a cramped development!

My farm name was my husbands idea, it is the same name as his company.

Dimundo is a spanish play on words, mundo means world and the dimundo bit sounds like diamonds to me....so that is how i ended up with loads of little diamonds from around the world ....LOL
default_biggrin.png

I couldn't come up with NOTHING for months when trying to figure out a name. Then one day at work, a coworker had her 2 year old daughter there and she kept telling the yardstick she was riding to Giddy Up and her mom said, there ya go Kim! It was going to be a temporary name as I wanted something sounding more "Professional" BUT the name stuck and here we are, still as Giddy Up Mini Acres years later!

Our farm name Kavelbel came from our last name Kavelman and we live in a village called Belmore so put together is Kavelbel we used this with our Paso Finos too when breeding, been here since 1991.
default_saludando.gif

When we first began in miniatures back in 1994 we named our farm Tiny Treasure Farm because that is definitely what I thought these little darlings were. Tiny Treasures. I didn't realize that there was another farm with the name Tiny Treasures Ranch. I sold all of my miniatures at one time and when I began again I decided to change the farm name to my initials - CLP Miniatures. That wasn't taken and I thought it looked nice. :) I really love some of the farm names that I have seen listed here. Such crafty ideas!
default_smile.png

We are Wee Three Minis. Sort of like the Three Amigos.
default_biggrin.png
We tossed around a bunch of names and there was aways one of us that didn't like a name. Then we managed to come up with Wee Three Minis. We have three minis (Peek, Fleur and Duke and there are three of us my husband Garnet, me (Kim) and my son Nicholas. So it fits us perfectly (for now). Don't know what will happen if we ever expand.
default_rolleyes.gif
(Sh, don't tell my hubby I said that) Though, I wouldn't change our name, it will stay as tribute to our first three and I couldn't have asked for a better first three!
default_wub.png

This has been such a neat thread :)

I am Currently on my 2nd Farm name lol -

it was TNT Dynomite Minis since we have 2 "T's" Running it lol

But it didn't sound Right, We still use this Prefix for our Dachshies

I Spent FOREVER thinking up a new name, I LOVE the Prefixes like "Mountain Meadows"

I wanted something to do with Location, I live in the middle of a Desert and somewhere along the way I found the Wonderful Word "Realm" which actually means Kingdom We live in the "Desert Kingdom" lol
default_rolleyes.gif

so Desert Realms it was

Well I always wanted a horse. When I was about 25 we bought a house with 1 acres. Not enough for a horse. SO I settled for pet chickens. One of those chickens we a silkie rooster named Igor, his wife was Inga. Igor never really realized that he was the poodle of the macho chicken world. The kids always held him and hugged him. He always had such a mad crabby look on his face.

Finally we saw our first mini and knew we wanted one. We got a B sized appy mare that we adored. When the time came to buy a prefix,,, my husband saw Igor and knew were our roots were! The Crabby Chicken Ranch.

We came up with the name Cedar Plains years ago when we were raising & showing Morgans. We lived at Neepawa, 35 miles northeast of here at the time. Just east of town was an area--a big bush pasture--that was known as cedar plains. When my mom was a kid living on the farm at Arden, Neepawa was the nearest "big town" for shopping. The shortest route between the farm and Neepawa was through that pasture every one called cedar plains (so named because of all the creeping cedar that grew there). Many years later when Mom & I moved back to Neepawa we would go riding through cedar plains...grandma & I picked mushrooms there....and I even learned to drive there--prairie track across the pasture/through the trees, not much traffic & no cops so an underage driver was safe. (By the time I found out that wasn't entirely true I was old enough that I had my learner's permit & was driving legally when we met an RCMP cruiser on the prairie track just outside the pasture. When I pulled over to give him room to get past he probably thought I was driving illegally, and he asked to see my license.
default_laugh.png
Fooled him, I was legal! )

So, when we decided to come up with a registered prefix for our Morgans, Cedar Plains seemed like a good choice, and a pretty name besides. Then we moved here, quite a ways from the cedar plains, but the name still works for us because we're out here on the open prairie, and just south of us there is plenty of creeping cedar growing. There's none of it on our property--there were two small patches the first summer we were here, but I soon got rid of it...pulled it all out! I like the name, but don't want the stuff growing here--it just kind of takes over if you let it move in.
default_biggrin.png

So, that is how we came to be Cedar Plains Miniatures.

Back