How did you come up with your farm name?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good stories here.
default_yes.gif

Over 20 years ago, when I was trying to come up with a farm name....I knew I wanted it to be short, and "catchy".

We also live in an area rich in Native American history, so I wanted it to have that sound. (altho, the Kickapoo indians were not from this area). When I was just a girl, there used to be a riding stable near us and it was called "Kickapoo" riding stable. I always liked that name & loved how it rolled off my tongue. That stable has been gone for many years, so I thought I'd take the name. It has everything I was looking for....short, catchy & easy to remember.
default_yes.gif

Our ranch name is Tiny Hooves Miniature Horse Ranch.

I have pretty much always had the bigger horse's. Then several years ago I bought 2 three month old miniature horse's. These girls were so tiny (21" and 22" tall) in comparison to my 16.3 hand quarter horse, and their hooves were sooooo small. I was trying to think of an indian name that would fit, but kept going back to how tiny these girls were and their hooves were so small about the size of a quarter to half a dollar. So this is what I have chosen as my ranch name.

I found out later that there is other places simular to what mine is, but not the same.

I just LOVE my tiny little kids, and the name really does fit. Cheryl

We decided on Willow Roc for a farm name since the Willow tree is strong but can bend with whatever life throws its way and is so graceful (kinda like our little minis) and Roc because you need a good solid foundation for breeding miniatures
default_rolleyes.gif

When I was 27 I bought myself the pony that Santa never brought me...
default_rolleyes.gif
She was a Silver Dapple Black with a spotted blanket. I got her registered as a National Appaloosa Pony, as she was too small to register POA. Later on, POA bought out NAPI, so she ended up with POA papers anyway. Her name was Honeysuckle Rose, but we called her Honey, which later on got "shortened" to HoneyPony. We tried for over 10 years to get her in foal, including her participation in an experimental reproductive therapy that was being tried with racehorse mares... but she never got in foal.

HoneyPony was one of those "perfect" horses - she just did everything we asked her do. I learned to drive by teaching her to drive. She carted kids around at parties and shows, where she would often beat full-sized horses in halter, driving, english and western - all in the same day. We were often asked to bring Santa into various events, she went to Renaissance fairs, parades, costume events... retirement home visits, etc. She was really what every pony should be - fun for kids and decades of wish fulfillment for me!

After we had to put HoneyPony down, we really still had a pony-sized hole in our heart. I didn't want just any pony, I wanted one the same color as HoneyPony... but I wasn't really looking hard, being busy with our Arabians, etc.

When I had surgery to fuse my left wrist so it would never bend again, I was very depressed about my future with horses. The appeal of getting a new pony was compelling, as I figured something small would be easier to manage with one hand. I started looking around online, casually... and was drawn more to the idea of a mini than a pony. Somewhere along the line I came across a picture of Woodstock North's Who's Appy Now, where his color and blanket looked uncannily like HoneyPony! Even though he was in Minnesota and we were in SoCal, I couldn't get him out of my mind. Of course, buting and shipping a stallion who had been a good showhorse wasn't really fitting with my "casual" idea of finding a pony to play with... and I tried to talk myself out of Appy. Meanwhile, his breeder Nancy had decided to take him off her saleslist and keep him. Two of my friends and clients decided that they were going to force the issue.... they wrote to Nancy, they talked her into me as Appy's next owner, and then they kicked me into it by making a down payment on him for me!

Of course... once we knew he was on his way, since I have been an Arabian breeder for many decades, the thought of breeding minis started to trickle into my brain. After all, we had a pretty good stallion on the way... it'd be fun to raise and show these little guys! I thought about all those years of trying to get a little "HoneyPony" from our dear mare - and I began to form a plan. Suddenly we were mare shopping - me and the boarders all got in on the excitement! Appy came and we found out how awesome he really was! I broke him to drive, and wanted to show him, and I decided to send him to a trainer to polish him up. After a few weeks, he called me and said "this is a halter horse!' - so we started showing and winning and went out and got some National Top Tens and finished his HOF in halter! Then he came home and I finished his training in harness and started showing him in Driving! Now he's halfway to his HOF in driving and just got High Point Country Pleasure Driving Stallion in the SoCal AMHA club! We have so much fun in harness in breed shows, Carriage Driving shows, parades, the Equine Affaire, trail rides, etc... he's another of those "perfect" horses and we feel so lucky to have him heading our miniature horse breeding program!

So - even though we were never able to get a little baby "HoneyPony" from our beloved pony - in her memory we are living with and loving a bunch of minis who are "as sweet as Honey"!

Wow - that got a lot longer than I thought it would! Must be feeling sentimental today.
default_rolleyes.gif

My late husband always wanted a mini when I had big horses. Funny because he was a big guy but not very brave around horses. When I could no longer ride and sold my Morgan he still wanted a mini. I bought him a bred mare thinking by the time the foal was weaned he'd lose interest and that would be the end of wanting a mini. I had never been a mini fan. He and my granddaughter were so in love with them he was going to sell his "funny book" collection to buy a couple more,a trailer and start showing. I said selling his "funny book" collection for minis he belonged on the "funny farm". And that became our farm name. By the way, my granddaughters and I own 7 minis that we show and I love as much as they do.

Like Reo, my hubby did not want a "Cutsey" name. I knew also that we were never going to have dozens of horses to sell at any given time, just a few good ones, or a "limited quantity" - hence the name Limited Edition Farm.

My farm name is 'Lazy K Ranch'. . . .my name is "Katie" and I am honestly a very lazy person in nature and it only seemed fitting to name it 'Lazy K' 
default_biggrin.png

Its not my favorite name, but it sorta fits. I was looking to get another bunny as a pet, when I saw these goats I just fell in love with the breed. I ended up purchaseing 1, already named bunny! She wasn't my first pick, but animals tend to just speak to me and she did. We ended up almost loosing her. If we hadn't of gotten her to some people we met by the end of the weekend she would be dead. She was injected with so many shots, so much medication that we joke about her being the bionic bunny. She has since been healthy for the past 5 years. Has never gotten sick a day in her life. While colds have come and gone for everyone of my other goats. She was truely a Miracle! From there we moved on to miniature horses. We bought 3, and then the 4th one came. A very emotionally disturbed mare. She was pretty much just nervous of everything and everyone. But I had to have her! I saw something and felt something. Brought her home and 3 years later she is my little pocket pony. We understand eachother. So now I own, nigerian dwarf goats and miniature horses. Hense the Little part. Bringing it together and we have Little Miracles Farm. I like to heel and I tend to have a way with disturbed animals.

Well, I have raised Ostrich and Emu. Then I went to show rabbits. My farm was SageHills (one word) Farms. Reason being we had some small hills and they were covered with sage brush. At this time I have not decided to use the SageHills Farm Name as I want to move. If this happens I want the option to change the name. So, at this time there is no name we are going by. We will get one soon. We have to. We have babies due.

Our farm name came about in 1994 when we purchased our property

originally we were full size horse people and boarded counting ours about 16 total

We were trail riders.

My husband had a Black Hills Gold ring with an Eagle on it when

I met him I liked it and he bought me one as a gift (we ended up using them as our wedding bands)

So when it came to naming the farm he thought of Eagles Ring Farm.

After the rings which came to mean alot to us.

I have loved horses all of my life. When I was 2, I had 5 ponies. When I was 27 I got married, moved to Kentucky and sold my last horse. It took me 14 years, but I finally convinced my "city boy" husband that we needed to move to a property where I could have horses, again. We bought our first 2 Quarter Horses. My son and I showed them, but my husband wouldn't. So I bought the first 2 minis for him for our anniversary. We now have 3 QH, 19 minis and 1 donkey. When we started showing we decided we needed a name for our farm. We wanted something to honor my mom and dad who had both passed away. They had always been super supportive of us. At both of their funerals we played the song "Go Rest High On That Mountain". That's where we came up with High Mountain Quarter Horses and Miniatures. Our logo represents the QH, minis and the two doves flying represent my mom and dad watching over "our mountain".

HMlogofinal-1.jpg

We live two miles from the Pacific Ocean and "pacific" means peace. That sounded nice to me..

I specialize in Pintos, soooo

Pacific Pintos Miniature Horse Farm was it!
default_biggrin.png

Green Creek runs right behind our main barn / pasture here .... we live in Green Creek township as well. So - Green Creek Stable.

I may add something to the name one day to make it a bit more catchy...we will see
default_smile.png
. All of our horses carry GCF at the end of their name.

Thirty five years ago we purchased our first farm. It needed a good name and we were looking for something simple, slightly elegant and only a single word...no "farm" on the end. At the same time we bought a dalmation dog who became a very special member of our family, a one of a kind dog. His name was Sonny. Our "farm" grew blackberries better than anything else. Those two things put together gave us our farm name, Sonnybrier. The address has changed three times, but the horses and the sheep and the dogs remain...as do we, of course.
default_biggrin.png

my farm name was very easy, we have a little creek and 2 small ponds behind the house that the minis love to play in. it's so clear that you can see straight through to the bottom, so the name Crystal Creek Minis just popped into my head.

We started our miniature horse herd while in partnership with my parents. So when we decided on a farm name it needed to be "S" for their last name and "P" for our last name. My husband threw the "Bar" in the middle......so we are now S Bar P Miniature Horses!

Well, for me... I grew up playing with toy horses and ponies. My Little Pony was my inspiration. But I didn't want that name exactly, so I thought Little Hooves would convey that idea...(and mini hooves were so small, of course!). It's also a great name for a toy horse, if I ever wanted to make one of my own, I thought!

Brenda

We live just a couple miles outside of town. There is a street fairly close to us called Valley View.

So 30 years ago when we were just starting to raise Mini's, thats the name we decided on.

I wanted something that incorporated the rainbow of colors that Minis come in, fun, and also that they are child-friendly/family friendly. I work as a nanny and one day when I was coloring with the kids, the inspiration hit "crayonbox." It is just perfect for what I wanted.
default_smile.png

My husband and I were allready thinking for a name for about six months or so, and we couldn't think of something we both liked. Until I came up with Double U Miniatures. Our lastname begins with a W, the place we live begins with a W and the adres begins with a W, so this was the right name for us.

Latest posts

Back