Horse show ettiquite(sp)?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I HAVE TO AGREE, I DONT LIKE IT WHEN PEOPLE PLACE THERE HORSES TOO CLOSE, AND ALSO WHEN SOMEONE DOESNT LIKE THE RIBBON THEY ARE GIVEN, HECK MY FIRST RIBBON WAS A FITH PLACE AND ITS THE MOST VALUABLE RIBBON TO ME, AS IT WAS MY FIRST SHOW,AND A QUALIFIER!!!!! ...........GREAT THREAD
default_yes.gif
:

this has happened to me several times and i just wont stand for it.
default_smile.png

Its usually a big name trainer that TELLS YOU where you are going to be in the line up. Ummm I dont think so!!! The last show i did this trainer and I went around and around a couple times as he thought he could tell me where my horse should be in the line up. He was very rude about it and the second time I had to get a little more foreceful with him. I will NOT be pushed around by them just because im not a big name trainer. Now if someone asks me politely to stand a specific spot in the lineup and I feel that its a good spot for my horse then I am happy to oblige. (for example seperating a light colored horse with a dark horse, makes both of them stand out more) I have to say I lost all respect for this farm and trainer after meeting him. I used to hold this farm in high esteem.

And as mary lou said if you have a stallion on the end of your lead you need to be aware of where he is at all times. Never go up close to talk to someone holding another stallion. This is especially true of breeding age stallions. I see this happen mostly when people are chatting waiting for their class and they forget they have a stallion on the lead.

I have to say though that 99 percent of the people i have shown with are fun and so helpful and will lend you anything you need

A thing i noticed at this past show was at the entry gate where you walk your horses in, there was a few people standing there talking loud about the horses in the class they were watching. I was showing durring one of these classes and they were talking loudly about my horse and comparing him to the other horses ext ext ext. I thought it was a little rude & distracting ..that was my pet peeve that day because i seen it allot more times lol.

So far that is the only one that has bothered me, i'm sure there will be more as i show more but thats it for the moment.

Leeana H.

there was a few people standing there talking loud about the horses in the class they were watching
I agree with that one. At my very first show ever I was very nervous going into my showmanship class. Me and my riding instrcuter had been going over it with the big horses every week after my lesson. I was tricked when the judge was inspecting my horse I had always delt with my insucter going to her left and around, this judge went to the right. I had watched her do this with the other people but when it came to me I froze I was about to carry on with just a little dealy but I heard some people right behind me saying "she should be on the other side, now that side" I did move to either side but at the wrong times. I ended up geting a thrid in the class and was upset at the people but there was nothing I coulddo about it.

space in line and halter classes was a big issue for me. Esspicaly in youth halter geldings. some kids would park their horses in the wrong spots completly oppisit from what the judge told them or VERY VERY VERY close to my horse I'm talking not even a foot. when asked to move over a bit they would repark their horse a few more inches away
default_wacko.png
:

also in driving classes leave lots of space. And don't make lots of noise. watch out for aggesive drivers, and don't be one please
default_yes.gif
: just like driving a car, don't ride other people buts, don't speed up while being passed, and don't drive someone into the wall. You don't know if they have a green horse or if they are a green driver, never mind the danger with doing those things anyway! Also have a header for driving classes dressed up nice not shorts and sandles :lol:

-Vanessa

there was a few people standing there talking loud about the horses in the class they were watching
space in line and halter classes was a big issue for me. Esspicaly in youth halter geldings. some kids would park their horses in the wrong spots completly oppisit from what the judge told them or VERY VERY VERY close to my horse I'm talking not even a foot. when asked to move over a bit they would repark their horse a few more inches away
default_wacko.png
:

-Vanessa

LOL at nationals there was this little girl showing behind Raven now keep in mind her horses favorite thing to do is stand still
default_rolleyes.gif
: and Raven had her horse set up and this little girl behind her kept moving up closer and closer so sometimes the little girls bottom was actually touching foxys rear end and sometimes the little girl was past foxys flank and her horses nose was in foxys rear..

The whole time foxy never moved a muscle (cause remember his favorite thing is just stand still when in doubt dont move)But you know in the youth classes and even in the ammy classes especially at Nationals I think nerves really set in so I try to not get to bent out of shape and I am sure I have done the same thing myself (creeping up) and if I am really distracted I ask them quietly to please give me more room or if I really need to move my horse out of the line a tad (to the side)

I do agree as well it is very rude to hear others talk about your horse especially when it is less then nice while you are trying to show.

I learned this at the past show. My horse refused the first jump 3 times so i got Dqed, and obstacle she did terrible. What I am embarrased about is I shed a few tears afterwards instead of watching the other horses and gaining tips on how to do better.

Don't be a sore loser if you do not win or place as well as you thought you should have done. Watch the other horses and learn!!!
I defintly have had those moments and even taken it out on my poor horse :no: who was just confused
default_yes.gif
: . always be a good sport and DO NOT het frustrated ( my biggest problem) I am trying really hard this year and i am proud of myself
default_smile.png

I forgot this,

I cannot stand coaching at the rail! If the person you are coaching has to listen to your tips from inside the ring, they are not ready for the showring!!!

Show doofus here!!! But at least I try to be a polite doofus!

Be sure to have a stop at the end of your lead...those suckers can get slippery and -- whoops -- there goes your horse!

Don't allow your horse to nearly break your nose (young stallion + first ever show = the world's greatest singles bar!) I'm sure the blood gushing from my nose was quite offensive to everyone around me...

Remember that the NO you use at home will, when used outside the gate, reverberate throughout the arena, the stands, the stalls...everywhere

Don't give your horse a bath the day of his classes...

And, oh yes... remember to LAUGH at yourself! You'll laugh at it someday, and you might as well start now!

Seriously...have FUN!

Promise yourself that all of your preparation will be done before you head for the gate, and whatever hasn't happened wasn't meant to be.

Make certain that your horse has a good time, too! Talk to him, smile at him, scritch him, reassure him softly if he is nervous. This is your best friend...don't ruin it for him.

Help anyone who needs it when waiting at the gate, even if it just means smiling and saying hi. Tell that youth beside you that their horse is beautiful and that they look great.

Get to your class early, check in, and be aware of what is going on. Smile at the judge, the steward, the gate person...everyone...and mean it.

Come out of the show ring with an even bigger smile!

I gues the easiest way to sum it all up is do not do anything that you would not want done to you. Always be polite and kind and have fun. You will run into people at the show that you may think are rude and snotty but they may be infact very tense and one tracked and are concentrating on just showing their horses, always give them the benefit of the doubt and you will find that showing these little ones can be quite rewarding and fun and you will meet alot of good people. Good Luck and most of all HAVE FUN.

Show doofus here!!! But at least I try to be a polite doofus!

Be sure to have a stop at the end of your lead...those suckers can get slippery and -- whoops -- there goes your horse!

Don't allow your horse to nearly break your nose (young stallion + first ever show = the world's greatest singles bar!) I'm sure the blood gushing from my nose was quite offensive to everyone around me...

Remember that the NO you use at home will, when used outside the gate, reverberate throughout the arena, the stands, the stalls...everywhere

Don't give your horse a bath the day of his classes...

And, oh yes... remember to LAUGH at yourself! You'll laugh at it someday, and you might as well start now!

Seriously...have FUN!

Promise yourself that all of your preparation will be done before you head for the gate, and whatever hasn't happened wasn't meant to be.

Make certain that your horse has a good time, too! Talk to him, smile at him, scritch him, reassure him softly if he is nervous. This is your best friend...don't ruin it for him.

Help anyone who needs it when waiting at the gate, even if it just means smiling and saying hi. Tell that youth beside you that their horse is beautiful and that they look great.

Get to your class early, check in, and be aware of what is going on. Smile at the judge, the steward, the gate person...everyone...and mean it.

Come out of the show ring with an even bigger smile!
[SIZE=12pt]Awsome advise[/SIZE]
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Another one that hates stomping...

Lets see what are some things I have seen....dont feed other peoples horses, Dont talk about someone’s horse on the rail (someone will here you....you dont know who knows who or whos related to who), Always check in with the ring steward so the announcer isnt calling for your number when your already waiting in the holding arena, When doing the practice jumps for hunter and jumper classes pay attention and make sure your going the correct way over the jumps I dont know how many times Ive almost ran over someone or vice versa, stay away from the in gate so people can get in and out and know that if you get a 1st or 2nd in an open halter class that you need to come back for grand and reserve.

Of course its not humanly possible to not make a mistake. I’ve stood in front of the in gate, forgot to check in, forgot my number ect. And if anyone knows what nerves are like (and most horse people do) they'll understand. Hope you have fun showing!

Bre

brilliant advise!! Susanne......I almost fell of the chair laughing.....you poor thing!! Did you win Doofus of the month with that one???
default_smile.png

I forgot this,

I cannot stand coaching at the rail! If the person you are coaching has to listen to your tips from inside the ring, they are not ready for the showring!!!

Actually for the most part I disagree with that.

I know that at my first show ever, my trainer Robert was on the rail on the side right by me. He was just watching what I was doing. Although we had practiced halter at the show, I was still fairly clueless as to what to really do. He would whisper to me only if I was doing something wrong. He was good and quiet about it, didn't distract anyone. He was sitting on the ground next to the rail and was only 5 feet or so away from me. Robert still will coach me in a halter class. I know there was a class at the last show where he had Smokey and I had Dealer and Robert was right next to me. He gave me a few tips in the ring, no one minded then.

My only issue is when there are coaches in the stands yelling commands at a person. Although I know that when they yell stuff like that, I listen in and use it to my advantage.

Lots of good hints here but remember all . . .

SMILE
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

You cannot underestimate what a smile will do for you - from those in the stall area to those in the holding area, to the gate person, to the ring steward and of course to the judges -- a smile is free and effortless - we are here/there to have fun - it is NOT world peace - it is JUST a horse show!

Stacy

(PS - This helpful hint came from a multi-breed NATIONAL judge - so I took his advice pretty seriously!)
default_yes.gif
:

Being a good competitor is so important!! I have actually heard of a grown woman having a crying temper tantrum outside of the ring because her mini wasnt placed!! How embarrassing for everyone!!! That would be a BIG no no!! :lol: :lol:

just wanna say.

i agree with colagirl, susanne, you are very funny, and clever...everything you said was great.

if everyone had your attitude, to lots of things in life... not just showing horses.. we would all be better off.

i havn't done any miniature shows ( yet).bit have competed in other things.. and the best thing is to smile at and get along with your fellow competitors....... after all they probably feel all the same things you are feeling and have put in all the same prep', and love their horse every bit as much as you love yours.

In driving classes please try to keep your commands subdued. My horse is a fairly sensitive horse and when I ask him to do something he knows he better DO it!

When I kiss or cluck to my horse that means SPEED UP. When other competitors drive behind or next to me continually, loudly kissing and clucking my horse gets a little antsy and isn't sure if HE is the one supposed to go faster... you shouldn't need to kiss to every beat of your horses' trots!!! I have been in a class where the other competitor behind me kissed to their horse the ENTIRE class. My green horse was beside himself.

Andrea

hmm...I understand, Andrea, but isn't your clucking to your horse a problem to other people, just as theirs is to you?

This is an interesting dilemma, as I, too, have a horse that is very sensitive to verbal commands and signals, and since I have used clicker training, I use a "smack" of the lips to substitute for the clicker, telling him that he is doing the right thing. Fortunately, he also responds to being told "You're beautiful" as a reward, so I don't have to smack in the show ring!

This is an important issue and a very educational thread, showing the importance of being sensitive to other people and their horses.

While I haven't encountered foot stomping, but I think it would be extremely irritating, and while fine for training, must look very uncouth in the show ring and irritating to the judges.

Back