horse age limits for CDE's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMR

Reaction score
I just joined the ADS and was reading the rulebook to get ready for this year. Boy was I totally bummed to read that a horse must be at least 4 years old to compete in combined driving and a mare can't be more than 4 months pregnant or with foal at side. That just wiped out both my driving horses
default_sad.png
. I stupidly assumed that like AMHA/AMHR you could compete with a 3 yr old and that there would be no limit of prego mares. I am surprised that I hadn't seen this before, but boy did this just blow my year. I was hoping to use my older mare early and then bring my 3 year old out this summer/fall. Is there any ADS competitions that you can compete a 3 year old? Can you go to the CDE's and just not be judged, for training? I supposed its a good rule to protect the horses. Just wish I hadn't wasted the $75 to join this year when I can't compete. Sorry to vent, Just really bummed.

Donna

Aw Donna, I'm sorry! Yes, the rules are to protect the horses we ask to compete in this strenuous sport but it is a bummer when that means you don't have anyone legal to drive.
default_sad.png
Your three year old can compete in any unsanctioned event like an ADT or play day and that's actually a great way to introduce them to the sport. You might be able to use the youngster for formal Pleasure Driving shows at this age, I don't think they have the same age rules as CDE. You might also be able to take your pregnant mare HC at the CDE's (meaning you only do dressage and cones) depending on the show organizer. You wouldn't be formally competing for a ribbon nor stressing her on the marathon so they'd probably let you enter. Most shows are desperate for volunteers on marathon day so they'd love you forever if you helped out on course that day instead of showing!
default_laugh.png
It would also be a good opportunity to learn by watching more experienced drivers.
default_yes.gif

On the plus side you'll be getting a great magazine all year, some nice resource guides, the rulebook, the tests, and some web resources and discounts for your $75. I love The Whip more than any other magazine I get!

Leia

Thanks Leia, I just printed out Volume II of the Rulebook for the combined driving, I am now reading the Volume I for pleasure driving. What is the age for an HDT or ADT ? I get confused with all the different types. Good Luck with Happs tomorrow. I did already order the Best of Whips 1 and 2 with my membership, so if nothing else I can read a ton over the next year. LOL

Oops never mind answered my own question, an HDT and an ADT are still considered combined driving so same age limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
hum i knew the 4 year old restriction but i didn't know about the pregnancy and foal at side. I know eventers (under saddle) that have been evented up until their last month or 2 of pregnancy at training and prelim!! Wonder why you can't show them if they have foal?? I've always worked my mares after foaling and they get worked pretty hard/regularly?

Boinky said:
Wonder why you can't show them if they have foal?? I've always worked my mares after foaling and they get worked pretty hard/regularly?
I don't think it's for the mare's sake as much as the foal's. These are three day events, can you imagine how stressful it would be for that suckling foal to be transported to a strange barn (with all those germs and possible contagious illnesses) and then be separated from Mom for hours at a time three days in a row?
default_unsure.png
My goodness, the poor baby would probably tear the barn down! And you couldn't have it loose and going with Mom either, not on a 13 km marathon or in a dressage warmup area with all those other carriages around. Someone would have to hold the foal by the arena edge and then how is Mom supposed to concentrate on her job with her upset baby out there calling for her and maybe needing to nurse? I know some mare/foal pairs could do it and be fine but I would expect if breeding my mare to lose the competition season with her. If you want to use the mare in competition, then don't breed her that year!
default_wacko.png

I understand that this is different in breed shows; there the mare and foal will only be separated for a few minutes at a time and it can be done fairly easily. But CDE's (at least for minis in my area and for big horses in general all over the country) are tough on a horse and require a lot of conditioning. I don't see how a mare heavy in foal could be asked to stay in that kind of shape and especially after foaling when she's lactating and the baby is pulling her down. Maybe it could be done, but there's too many ways it could be misused and reflect negatively on the sport. Better, to my thinking, to simply say "no mares with foals at side."

As for showing while they're pregnant, I have no experience with that or with the rule involved. No opinion there! *LOL*

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back