Hopefully my mare is close so anxious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like he is coming along well!

Must agree with Anna although Im a bit softer on it as a rule, I leave halters on mares like my Painted Lady who are hard to catch at the best of times and if I have to catch her it's best to have a snugly fitted leather halter (leather is more likely to break). But I never leave synthetics or ropes on and I never leave them on youngsters.

wow your little guy is looking so good! what a lovely little head he has! I have to agree with the others and halters, I didn't realise till I had my foal just how much they LOVE to get into things! after that none of my horses get halters left on them...

congrats again on your litttle fluff ball
default_smile.png
he is way too cute!

Totally agree about the headcollar rule. What we do for our mare that is hard to catch (Toffee) is use a breakaway halter with a leather fuse that will break in an emergency. Actually, the fuse has broken (non-emergency situation) and was replaced with a piece of narrow pink ribbon which now holds the halter together and will surely break just like the fuse did. I think it would be pretty easy to make a breakaway halter like this by removing the piece that holds the buckle (the one anchoring the strap that goes over the poll) and replacing with a ribbon, neatly tied.

Adorable foal - love the photos! Time for me to post updates too.

I understand the issues you all think could happen with halters on mare and foal but as this is how I got mare and she always had halter on I am leaving it on as she is harder to get if it off and I am not going to stress her by cornering her and trying to catch her to put one on she gets stressed enough when I am with foal. Also I am always close by and can see them all the time. I am sorry if this upsets anyone and I imagine it will. I have spoke to friends who also have horses who are ot have foaled and they say it should be fine as I am close and they do this themselves and have more horses to look after than I do... He is so cute and doing great I was even leading him without him playing up today just in barn though but he didnt pull or rear like he normally does so progress is happening well we will see how he is tomorrow and hopefully he remembered.

Latest posts

Back