Hire a trainer or train him yourself?!?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For myself I would hire a trainer. I have been driving for 3 years, but I don't want to get in the cart with a horse that may take off. I would pick a trainer that will explain things and give you lessons as well.

I second minimomNC with getting a horse that has been there and done that in regards to driving. They are worth their weight in gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
trainer. Amazing how much information and help you can get from somebody with experience.

For me, I prefer the trainer that works both me and my mini rather than sending away for training and giving a green horse to an inexperienced driver to figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If possible, start with a trained horse and a trainer that knows how to teach you to drive. If you already have a horse that needs training, find a trainer close enough that you can go there and spend time as the horse progresses so you can also learn.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like a trainer is the way to go, but I live WAY out in the country and the nearest horse trainer is 175 miles away! The nearest miniature horse trainer is 230 miles away! So I guess I'll be doing the training myself.

Best go very slow then. Green on green often equals black and blue my trainer always said. good luck

what area are you in, there are a lot of members here and someone may know of someone in you area that doesn't advertise or that it great with driving that might be able to help you.

Karen

Just wondered if you are checking just for mini horse trainers or any size horse trainer (driving of course)? And I would try to find one who would give you lessons also-getting the horse trained is only half the battle ya' know. Of course, you want to find a trainer that you (and good references) feel will do the right job and will treat your animal and you the way you would want to be treated.

We have used 3 trainers over the last few years (all good, just a different situation for ourselves each time). One worked with pretty much all breeds (hee hee! we had introduced her to minis originally!), one is a professional shetland/mini trainer in the NE Iowa area, and the other is a closer trainer who worked with Haflingers for years (still does) and had discovered the joys of the minis too. We are happy with each of their methods and treatments of our animals and us. We got references on all.

Of course you can do it yourself. But if you have never hitched or driven it is (pardon the cliche) 'the blind leading the blind'. So find some very good books and DVD's on training and driving; and as stated by shorthorsemom; go slow.

I've always done my own. But went through the S of HK as a youngster when my guardians gave me the pony from h*** while they were having their own issues. I became a horse savy child and am still learning something everyday. Like, for example, did you know that a mini donkey is more likely to kick you with a hind hoof when you hit a tender spot in a front hoof? Now you do, and so do I!!!

I agree with getting an experienced driving instructor/trainer for yourself and your mini. Although I was experience as a recreational driver with my trained quarter horse 30 years ago, I never had any lessons. This time around, in my late 50's, I found I needed to learn how to communicate better with my new mini "Bucky", who came to me beautifully trained. I attended a week long driving camp with a wonderful trainer/judge in another state. I drove her horses and was relaxed enough to concentrate on me. I came home and applied what I learned... and it worked! Buck and I became partners. Later I went to another trainer just as far away and spent several days with her. She works mostly with pairs. She helped me learn more about training my younger mini as a single and now he pairs with Bucky. I also live hours and miles away from any drivers. I read books, bought a series on training minis to drive, and I developed a support group of drivers on line. I admit I was scared to train my first mini who is only 30 inches tall. But he and I did it! Then I trained my B size. Training your own is wonderful feeling if it works out. I know we could have had major problems but I went slowly, and got advise along the way. Not every one lives close enough to get help. Going to the driving camp was very expensive for me but has turned out to have been priceless!! As they say, "you can not teach what you do not know." I had to learn to drive better before I could expect my minis to learn from me.

At the very least, find a trainer to coach you and supervise your training. Even if you can only go every few weeks, you will know if your horse is safe to hitch and then if he is ready to take out on the road or trail.

Keep in mind that while a mini may seem small and easy to control, all of that ends the second your feet leave the ground -- you are at the mercy of your horse's training. And remember that a mini can run you in front of a semi just as easily as a full-sized horse.

Here's my opinion, as I'm in the same boat as you. For me, I live in southern Iowa and all of the miniature horse breeders, trainers, and shows are WAY up north for me. Sucks.

For me, I think I've decided to work my minis as home as far as I can, save up the money, send them north to a trainer, and go up a couple weekends. That's what I would do.

I'm in the take it slow use common sense and do it yourself camp.

My husband and I started with a highly trained performance gelding. His previous owner (a youth) trained him and he won championships in everything except halter in both AMHA youth and open. When I gave Rider to Larry for his 40th birthday, along with a cart and harness, Larry began reading up on cart driving. The first time Larry began harnessing Rider, it was RIDER who told him if he was doing something wrong! Rider would swish his tail and whip his head around and glare. So, Larry paid attention and double check and correct things. Rider would refuse to move forward until all was right.

Our wonderful friend was almost 29 years old when he passed away a couple of months ago. And up until just two weeks prior, he was still "teaching" young people about how wonderful cart driving can be. Bless him.

We later purchased a second gelding who wasn't broke to drive. Larry worked with him, but to be competitive in the show ring, we knew we needed a trainer. We lived 180 miles from any national caliber trainer. What we did was wait until off season (winter) and arranged for Gwydion to spend some time with our favorite trainer. After a few weeks Larry went out and spent a weekend so the trainer could teach Larry and Gwyd together. It turned out very well for all...... The trainer liked having the off season business.......and Larry took Gwyd to several AMHA shows over the next few years and did very well. Gwyd also raked in some championships for several youth drivers.

I know this isn't exactly where you are located but I would talk to--

Carrie Rudeen, Cannon Falls, MN

Sanseveres (Enchanted Hollow), Orono, MN

Annasdreamer: Try Robbie Barth, Showtime Training Center. He's very gentle and kind with the horses and is a really really nice person. He is very reasonably priced. He is about an hour west of Dubuque.

Tremor: Check out the All American Miniature Horse Club. They are an Iowa club and they may have members close to you. They are a great group of people and put on a simply FANTASTIC show each year! They are basically SE located.

Latest posts

Back