He's Here!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I name my new stallion?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
...I always say that it takes a year to get to know a stallion and two years to earn his respect enough to form a real partnership.
I really like this saying! Holding true here.

We've had our guy Saber almost 3yrs now and I would say that as of this year he seems more bonded with me than ever before.

Thank you too - I obviously knew about Patch, but could not remember the rest of his pedigree - good luck at the show!

Anna

thanks. if i'm still on here by that time i'll post pics of all 3 and how they did.

Hey Molly's Run Minis,

I just wanted to chime in a post a few comments for you since I am probably pretty close to your age! But before I start, I just want to say that your new boy looks very nice from what I have seen and I hope that you enjoy him and love him as much as you can. My favorite horses are always my stallions because for me I love the challenge of earning their repsect and once you have it, there is an amazing bond between the both of you!

Second of all, I grew up here on the LB forum and I must say that this is BY FAR THE BEST PLACE TO GROW UP LEARNING AND GAINING ADVICE! I started into Miniatures when I was only 14 years old and almost 7 years later I can't tell you how much I have learned here and how many times I have been slapped on the hand BUT I NEEDED IT. From basic nutrition to breeding to driving and other show information my LB friends have ALWAYS been there for me when I asked them to be!

They have always given criticism when needed and I have learned from it. Hun, please don't take it personal as they do not mean it to hurt anyone its just they want to offer their opinions.

I understand how you feel about people "jumping" on you because it can seem that way sometimes but please remember that without them, there is NO WAY I would be where I am now with my miniatures and my knowledge of them.

LB forum members are like a family and we all look out for each other even though we all have different views and opinions. Listen to what they have to say and take what you can from it and turn it into positive criticism.

I hope I helped clear the air a little bit!

Katie

Hey Molly's Run Minis,

I just wanted to chime in a post a few comments for you since I am probably pretty close to your age! But before I start, I just want to say that your new boy looks very nice from what I have seen and I hope that you enjoy him and love him as much as you can. My favorite horses are always my stallions because for me I love the challenge of earning their repsect and once you have it, there is an amazing bond between the both of you!

Second of all, I grew up here on the LB forum and I must say that this is BY FAR THE BEST PLACE TO GROW UP LEARNING AND GAINING ADVICE! I started into Miniatures when I was only 14 years old and almost 7 years later I can't tell you how much I have learned here and how many times I have been slapped on the hand BUT I NEEDED IT. From basic nutrition to breeding to driving and other show information my LB friends have ALWAYS been there for me when I asked them to be!

They have always given criticism when needed and I have learned from it. Hun, please don't take it personal as they do not mean it to hurt anyone its just they want to offer their opinions.

I understand how you feel about people "jumping" on you because it can seem that way sometimes but please remember that without them, there is NO WAY I would be where I am now with my miniatures and my knowledge of them.

LB forum members are like a family and we all look out for each other even though we all have different views and opinions. Listen to what they have to say and take what you can from it and turn it into positive criticism.

I hope I helped clear the air a little bit!

Katie
thanks for that. i just hate when people jump on me without knowing the full situation, like me letting my stud eat hay with my mares. i didnt think it would be such a big thing on here, i know it wasent a very big thing for the horses! they didnt care, they were to busy munchin and i was right there the whole time!

Last edited by a moderator:
First I'll start by saying your little stallion is a cutie....now for the serious stuff....Nobody "jumped" you...If your going to succeed in the horse business, you need to learn all you can, and believe me "You NEVER learn all of it".I'm 61 and been in horses all my life..I still learn something new almost every day about horses..Listen to those that have been there done that...Lots of wisdom in the older breeders that have been down that road..We're trying to warn you of the troubles you can have with a stallion...None of us would like to see you or one of your horses get hurt, and it can happen in an instant, even tho your standing right there..No matter how calm he is, he's still a stallion...never forget that and never turn your back to one..they aren't pets..

You have youthful exuberence, that is wonderful! But it seems you have a lot to learn also...Learn to take advise when given, it will help you get where you want to be in this business...

Good luck at the show and have fun!

I would suggest that if you don't want to be jumped on for doing the wrong thing, you should consider your words as you're posting--I read your post much earlier, and it DID sound like you had put the colt out with the girls to eat. I was going to post & ask if that were truly what you had done, but decided not to because it wasn't worth the effort when I knew you'd just fly off the handle at being asked about it.

It is very easy to leave out info--you know the exact situation so think that a brief wording will be clear to every one else. Instead of getting angry, how about just saying with a laugh, oh no, sorry, I should have been more clear, I didn't turn them out together, I had him on the lead the whole time....that would get you a whole lot more nice replies than your current bad attitude does.

You keep telling us how much experience you have had with stallions, and yet so many things that you say and so many of the questions you ask give away how little you actually know about stallions. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with asking your questions and trying to learn the things you don't know, but it would be better not to try an inflate your own experience--it just doesn't work.

Okay Im first going to say that your stallion is nice looking.

Now to the second...............

The last time you posted you said that your not going to breed your stallion. You are going to show him. I know that is what your plan is.

How is it that "you know your stallion better than anyone on the forum" when he just arrived?????

BUT.................. Its not a good thing to sit there and tease your STALLION!!!! Just because at that moment he was not wanting any, doesnt mean that tomorrow he is still not going to want any. The first chance he gets to get one of those mares he is going to take it. A STALLION IS STILL A STALLION!!!!! When it comes to the females the stallion doesn't want to play. They mean BUSINESS!! GET WHAT IM SAYING................ And you didnt indicate that the mares where on a rope they are there teasing him. Last but not least......... WHEN SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS DONT COME ON HERE CRYING AND BOO HOOING, BECAUSE IM GOING TO TELL YOU NOW.......... WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. ALL THE "OLD HAGS" AS YOU PUT IT, ACCEPTED YOUR APOLOGY IN YOUR LAST POST AND YOUR HERE AGAIN INSULTING THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH STALLIONS!!!!!

I'm sorry I offended. Understand my concern for your situation is genuine. This Old Hag is a mother first, then a very seasoned horsewoman who has owned stallions big and small for more years that you can count. Yes, I still make mistakes but by golly, I do learn from them, and I do not crap on people who have guided me whether I liked their advice or not. I've been hurt badly in my younger years and I've had horses hurt too and I wouldn't wish any of that on anyone ever. I never stood by and allowed my children to be in harms way with a horse of any size or gender either. You keep on teasing and tormenting that colt of yours young lady and I tell you it is going to end up very bad. That is NOT how you train a stallion to be mannered around other horses, in a brand new place of all things where he doesn't even have his bearings yet.

As a mother, I am very concerned for your safety and the safety of all your horses. You are setting all up for an accident that doesn't have to happen if you would only listen and learn. I don't want to see you getting hurt and putting yourself inbetween your stallion and "his" mares and you have already done that foolishly.

Your parents must have some idea of what is going on out there. Where on earth is your mother in this?

Well, at least the topics posted by MRM are entertaining! Ask question...get good (albeit sometimes unsolicited) advice...take advice wrong...fly off handle....spend more time explaining and apologizing...
rolleyes.gif
It's almost like a "reality" TV show! I can see it now...(announcer speaking): "Next time on 'LB Forum'"!
laugh.gif

BTW, "new" horses can be pretty quiet the FIRST time they are introduced, especially young ones. But once they start to establish the "pecking order", all bets are off, especially with breeding animals.
yes.gif

Good Luck.

Well, at least the topics posted by MRM are entertaining! Ask question...get good (albeit sometimes unsolicited) advice...take advice wrong...fly off handle....spend more time explaining and apologizing...
rolleyes.gif
It's almost like a "reality" TV show! I can see it now...(announcer speaking): "Next time on 'LB Forum'"!

LOL
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
That is SO funny! I'm sorry MRM but we all tried to warn you.

My question is: if you just got him, why isn't he in quarantine? He should not be close to your horses at all for at least ten days.

Another "old hag" who is crabby from being on foal watch...

If your right there with them and they are all safe, why do you have pictures of your 23" yearling filly standing directly next to him, nuzzling him, He could hop right on her. Furthermore, she is not tied in any manner in any of your pictures. theres also another picture of her with her ears pinned back, and him apprehensive throwing his head up. Here's a newsflash - the yearling is old enough to breed! There are lunging pictures with horses who have lunge lines tangled between their legs, your two year old filly is tied on a long lunge line, but its QUITE obvious that line is more than long enough for her to get to the stallion. What your going to end up with is a stallion and a two year old filly breeding, both getting hurt from being tangled in your tie out lines, which are far from safe. Your not going to be as fast as you think you are, even standing a foot away. What are you going to do, lead the stallion away, when there's two other horses there, one isn't even on a lead? If they are showing to the stallion, they may like the idea of breeding, and may follow you. A mare can hurt you too you know. Are you going to be the one man show who can miraculously untangle a stallion who's breeding your two year old, while all three of them have ropes cutting into their legs from being in a tangled mess? Ever see a dog tied out tangle it's self around a tree, imagine three horses tangled around each other, and you already said your parents don't help, so what exactly are you going to do?

I dont for a second think your too young and naive to know proper horse care, safety, and management. Im honestly not all that much older than you, and I can tell you that I certainly knew better at age 15 than to be doing half the stuff your doing. I think you have it set in your mind that your going to breed your horses no matter what anyone says, and just tell everyone here that you aren't to keep the heat off your back. Then when you have bred mares (that i'm sure you'll intentionally breed) you will come back and say it was an accident. Also, please don't go on and on about how experienced you are when your later posts show how inexperienced you are. No one is judging you for what you dont know, you are judged because you try to come off that you know more than you do, and if you know so much, why are you doing such dangerous things?

Everyone has given you more than enough advice that you simply don't want to hear. Why bother even asking for advice if your not going to take it? Maybe im simply annoyed that you often get passed off as being young and not knowing better, when I realize that at your age, you do know better, and just act young and naive to gain forgiveness.
default_frusty.gif

MRM I would like to wish you good luck as unfortunately I think you will need it.

You remind of our oldest son who "KNEW" everything as a teenager so he had to learn alot of things the hard way. He has since grown into a lovely young man LOL but boy was he frustrating as a youngster.

Us "Crabby Old Hags" may sound harsh but it truly is just constructive criticism.

I have learnt sooo much from everyone here on this WONDERFUL forum and I firmly believe we all continue to learn until we are gone.

default_please.gif
default_mlala.gif
default_nono.gif

THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING

PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH A NAME

THEN YOU ARE NOT LISTENING

AND THEN IT IS NO NO NO

Ok ,so here we go again. MRM I hate to tell you but your posts are becoming quite amusing. You are showing how LITTLE you know about stallions and horses in general. I have never heard of anyone who would introduce their stallion to the mares to get him used to being around mares at a show STUPID . Your stallion should not be NEAR your mares .What will you do when he pulls the lead out of your hand and jumps on your tiny mare who will probably never be big enough to be bred ? Just go oops . You are asking for so much trouble. Where is your mother?Does she really know how rude you are on this forum and how much help you need. My children are all grown, but if they had ever made the kind of rude comments that you have made to people that were trying to help you and are worried for the safety of both you and your horses. There would have been major consequences. Why don't you show your mother ALL of your posts and name calling and see what she says.

Ok ,so here we go again. MRM I hate to tell you but your posts are becoming quite amusing. You are showing how LITTLE you know about stallions and horses in general. I have never heard of anyone who would introduce their stallion to the mares to get him used to being around mares at a show STUPID . Your stallion should not be NEAR your mares .What will you do when he pulls the lead out of your hand and jumps on your tiny mare who will probably never be big enough to be bred ? Just go oops . You are asking for so much trouble. Where is your mother?Does she really know how rude you are on this forum and how much help you need. My children are all grown, but if they had ever made the kind of rude comments that you have made to people that were trying to help you and are worried for the safety of both you and your horses. There would have been major consequences. Why don't you show your mother ALL of your posts and name calling and see what she says.

my mom has read everything and thinks i handled it fine and doesnt blame me for going off the wall. she hates that i'm on this forum because she knows how forums can be.

If your right there with them and they are all safe, why do you have pictures of your 23" yearling filly standing directly next to him, nuzzling him, He could hop right on her. Furthermore, she is not tied in any manner in any of your pictures. theres also another picture of her with her ears pinned back, and him apprehensive throwing his head up. Here's a newsflash - the yearling is old enough to breed! There are lunging pictures with horses who have lunge lines tangled between their legs, your two year old filly is tied on a long lunge line, but its QUITE obvious that line is more than long enough for her to get to the stallion. What your going to end up with is a stallion and a two year old filly breeding, both getting hurt from being tangled in your tie out lines, which are far from safe. Your not going to be as fast as you think you are, even standing a foot away. What are you going to do, lead the stallion away, when there's two other horses there, one isn't even on a lead? If they are showing to the stallion, they may like the idea of breeding, and may follow you. A mare can hurt you too you know. Are you going to be the one man show who can miraculously untangle a stallion who's breeding your two year old, while all three of them have ropes cutting into their legs from being in a tangled mess? Ever see a dog tied out tangle it's self around a tree, imagine three horses tangled around each other, and you already said your parents don't help, so what exactly are you going to do?

I dont for a second think your too young and naive to know proper horse care, safety, and management. Im honestly not all that much older than you, and I can tell you that I certainly knew better at age 15 than to be doing half the stuff your doing. I think you have it set in your mind that your going to breed your horses no matter what anyone says, and just tell everyone here that you aren't to keep the heat off your back. Then when you have bred mares (that i'm sure you'll intentionally breed) you will come back and say it was an accident. Also, please don't go on and on about how experienced you are when your later posts show how inexperienced you are. No one is judging you for what you dont know, you are judged because you try to come off that you know more than you do, and if you know so much, why are you doing such dangerous things?

Everyone has given you more than enough advice that you simply don't want to hear. Why bother even asking for advice if your not going to take it? Maybe im simply annoyed that you often get passed off as being young and not knowing better, when I realize that at your age, you do know better, and just act young and naive to gain forgiveness.
frusty.gif
that mare has been tied since january and is and knows how to untangle herself. she has never been hurt and has enough smarts to know to not get tangled. the yearling hasnt come in heat yet and she hates him so im not worried about that. i am breeding misty(2yr old) NEXT YEAR!! not this year because shes to young!! and yes, i do lead the stud away and the others dont follow. i'm not asking for sympathy or forgivness i'm asking that everybody on here chill out a little bit!

I am surprised that a mother would think that it was all right for her daughter to call people names on a forum. If she doesn't care about your manners what about your safety? Does she not know that both you and your horses are an accident waiting to happen? You said that you got a concussion when you were five years old caused by a mini. Thart right there should be an eye opener. Minis may be small but they are still horses. A mini stallion does not know he is small he is full of hormones. You need some serious help . There are plenty of teenagers out there that realize they don't know everything. When they get advise they take it. You need to learn from this.

Okay Im first going to say that your stallion is nice looking.

Now to the second...............

The last time you posted you said that your not going to breed your stallion. You are going to show him. I know that is what your plan is.

How is it that "you know your stallion better than anyone on the forum" when he just arrived?????

BUT.................. Its not a good thing to sit there and tease your STALLION!!!! Just because at that moment he was not wanting any, doesnt mean that tomorrow he is still not going to want any. The first chance he gets to get one of those mares he is going to take it. A STALLION IS STILL A STALLION!!!!! When it comes to the females the stallion doesn't want to play. They mean BUSINESS!! GET WHAT IM SAYING................ And you didnt indicate that the mares where on a rope they are there teasing him. Last but not least......... WHEN SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS DONT COME ON HERE CRYING AND BOO HOOING, BECAUSE IM GOING TO TELL YOU NOW.......... WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. ALL THE "OLD HAGS" AS YOU PUT IT, ACCEPTED YOUR APOLOGY IN YOUR LAST POST AND YOUR HERE AGAIN INSULTING THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH STALLIONS!!!!!

you REALLY need to stop reading my posts if your going to be so rude.

I am surprised that a mother would think that it was all right for her daughter to call people names on a forum. If she doesn't care about your manners what about your safety? Does she not know that both you and your horses are an accident waiting to happen? You said that you got a concussion when you were five years old caused by a mini. Thart right there should be an eye opener. Minis may be small but they are still horses. A mini stallion does not know he is small he is full of hormones. You need some serious help . There are plenty of teenagers out there that realize they don't know everything. When they get advise they take it. You need to learn from this.

the concussion was caused by my first stud jumping on me for a second time and i fell and his foot hit me hard in the temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back