Meet my new boy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackandwhite

Reaction score
I found my first miniature!

He thought my dog was a horse when he first saw her. He called out to her and then did a double take. It was adorable. Lacey is a Great Dane. So many people joke about her being a horse, now I have a horse the same size as her...

His new name is Dexter, he was called Lookin, but that's definitely changed, haha. He's a 2 yr old silver bay gelding, 32 inches. He's absolutely amazing. Nothing at all fazes him. I've been doing a bunch of stuff with him, to desensitise him. I took him for a walk and a herd of cattle running up to the fence didn't bother him, a herd of horses didn't, bridges, plastic bags, rags, a roaring ride on lawnmower.... The only thing that bothered him was puddles. He hates getting his feet wet. he's like a cat.

I started clicker training him - it took him about five minutes to learn what the clicker is and to be reliably targeting something with his nose. I've never worked with a horse that catches on so quickly and is so eager to learn new things. He really enjoys learning new things, trying to figure out what I'm telling him. And he's so food motivated. It's going to be really great for teaching him tricks, which I've always wanted to do. I started teaching him to smile, today. He's already halfway there.

He's so very sweet. He was standoffish to catch at the start of the first day he was here, as to be expected, really, and by the end of the day he was following me around, then trotting after me, and then cantering after me, bucking and playing with me. We bonded so quickly. He now walks up the fenceline when I'm on the other side of it. And he only arrived yesterday.

He's going to be broken in to harness over next winter. He's absolutely perfect for what I needed and wanted. I just had to give up my big stallion and it hurt me so badly, and I'll never be able to replace him, but I have room in my heart for the love of another (albeit smaller) horse.

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

67307_841539955879093_9060230041899763118_n.jpg

10388070_841509285882160_7798967478765827080_n.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

Cute boy!

Also, he hooves look like need a decent trim. Looks like its been about 2-3 months since he's been done. Happens with the ground being so wet still.
default_smile.png

He's a darn cute boy. If he was a few inches taller and had spots in his hips I'd take him to he a driving partner for my boy.

Cute boy!

Also, he hooves look like need a decent trim. Looks like its been about 2-3 months since he's been done. Happens with the ground being so wet still.
default_smile.png

He's a darn cute boy. If he was a few inches taller and had spots in his hips I'd take him to he a driving partner for my boy.
Oh yeah, definitely. His breeder didn't have the chance to have him done before he left. That will be on the agenda very soon.
default_smile.png

Congrats, what beautiful boy. Looks like he's enjoying himself
default_smile.png
. And I love the pic with the Dane and Dexter. And as Ryan said you can't stop at one

He is a good looking little guy and I love his color. Sounds like a TON of personality in a very small package -congratulations on your new addition!

I'm learning he's pretty playful!

My mother's horse arrived yesterday and Dexter is really really excited.

He's super interested in every single thing I'm doing, following me around every minute I'm doing something outside. He loves the attention and has really bonded to me, very quickly.

His breeder had a halter on him that was way too small, that he had grown out of, and he'd been wearing it for a long while. He's got marks from it everywhere but his poll. I've tried to wipe it with water to settle the hair, but nothing's working. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Also, is the age for jumping riding horses the same as with minis? What age should i wait until?

He's 2 now, is it okay to start with mouthing and ground driving him soon? No pulling anything, of course. But I want to spend a lot of time getting him reeeeeeeally good on the ground and in traffic during the time I've gotta wait until he can pull something.

He's got some hayfever with all of the spring pollen around which is why his eyes are running. I'm going to find some horseradish, which i hear helps. Although I've got no idea how much I should give him; I don't know what weight he is.

10437021_844187862280969_2681927160637849044_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back