help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytwoladies

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the mini world an purchased a 1-1/2 yr old last year who now seen to have a problem with locking rear knees. if I back her up they come out of it . I know theres a real name but it has slipped my mind right now, but it is bi-lateral! my vet say she needs surgery to correct it but I was wondering is there another way? she just soo young ssssooooo any ideas would be sssooo welcome thanks
default_sad.png

Hello,

I'm new to the mini world an purchased a 1-1/2 yr old last year who now seen to have a problem with locking rear knees. if I back her up they come out of it . I know theres a real name but it has slipped my mind right now, but it is bi-lateral! my vet say she needs surgery to correct it but I was wondering is there another way? she just soo young ssssooooo any ideas would be sssooo welcome thanks
default_sad.png
I am thinking you mean locking stifle and there is some on here that has had this experience, have heard the surgery is best.

Sorry I am not much help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is locking stifles, it is common in mini's, don't be in such a hurry for surgery, give it some time, she may grow out of it as it happens alot during a growth spurt. I have a yearling colt that had his left stifle lock on him for several months, but now it is gone. If you can work her up and down hills or if you don't have any hills walk her over ground poles to strengthen the muscles, it will help. If all else fails then you can opt for surgery.

yeessss! thats it she has little hills in her pasture someone said to me I should have a new farrier look at the angles of her ft to see if this could be adding to her problem sssooo he's coming today! but I will try putting poles in the round pen and walk her over them any more you can offer would be great!! I hope to train her to drive but very slowly for sure. no cart till 2-1/2 yrs or 3 for sure. (not till her legs are good)Thank you
default_yes.gif

Yes it is locking stifles, it is common in mini's, don't be in such a hurry for surgery, give it some time, she may grow out of it as it happens alot during a growth spurt. I have a yearling colt that had his left stifle lock on him for several months, but now it is gone. If you can work her up and down hills or if you don't have any hills walk her over ground poles to strengthen the muscles, it will help. If all else fails then you can opt for surgery.

From what everyone told me when I had an 18 month old with a stifle weakness, not locking, it can be resolved in most cases by building the muscles to support the ligaments involved as stated. It worked for me, but I also used a joint supplement. I had great success with straight walking over poles since its flat here, long walks in the mornings with me, and the supplement. Vets can also give Adequan (sp) injections, but I believe that is for possible injuries to that area.

Please remember straight walking, no matter the size of the roundpen it is still round, at least until you see some improvement. Also snubbing the toes for easier break over. My filly grew so much and so fast this winter and she started *clicking* so I snubbed her toes and it stopped the clicking. Let us know how it goes on her progress.

Latest posts

Back