Help! Trying to find a pasture mate....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerMaeve

Reaction score
We're trying to find a pasture mate for Squirt, and I've been looking for mares, but I'm seeing some geldings that I kinda like but I don't really want get a gelding because I don't want to clean his foreskin😝....how often does that need to be done?

Thanks in advance,
-A squeamish girl

Sheath cleaning is a controversial subject. Horses in the wild never have anyone cleaning them and I've read quite a few articles by vets who don't see a need unless the horse is showing issues.

For my guy, I always have the vet check for beans when he gets his teeth done. Other than that, I don't worry about it unless he shows signs of distress (usually swelling or the penis hanging out more than normal).

I wouldn't let it keep you from finding a great friend!

Ditto Maryann's Ditto.
In 35 years of horse ownership, I've cleaned two sheaths, and I've owned geldings longer. My first horse rarely, if ever, needed his cleaned; I think the equine dentist did it once or twice while he was sedated for dental work (he was 27 years when he passed, I owned him for 24 years). My gelding with Cushings was the first sheath I ever cleaned myself, and I attribute his dirtiness to his metabolic condition. I do have one now that will probably need to have his cleaned more than the previous and other, 7-8 boys, I've owned over the years; he doesn't drop to pee much, so likely to get more dirty than a gelding that drops more to pee.

Dittto again!!
I was taught (when I was your age) you had to clean them regularly and did and got used to it, rubber gloves a must! I haven't cleaned a sheath in years now and mine are all fine. You have to have teeth done with sedation so your vet can do it then if it's needed OR a lot of people I know have the vet sedate them when they get their shots and have it done then if it's needed. Don't let it stop you from getting a great gelding :D

Last edited:
Yes, I’m glad to read this, too.In all my years with horses, I only ever had one gelding and other than hosing his sheath out, I never dealt with sheath cleaning. I wasn’t sure how to deal with it with the minis...they’re so close to the ground and I have a bad knee, so...

Latest posts

Back