Quantcast

Help! Trying to find a pasture mate....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

MerMaeve

Reaction score
We're trying to find a pasture mate for Squirt, and I've been looking for mares, but I'm seeing some geldings that I kinda like but I don't really want get a gelding because I don't want to clean his foreskin😝....how often does that need to be done?

Thanks in advance,
-A squeamish girl

dalvers63

Reaction score
Sheath cleaning is a controversial subject. Horses in the wild never have anyone cleaning them and I've read quite a few articles by vets who don't see a need unless the horse is showing issues.

For my guy, I always have the vet check for beans when he gets his teeth done. Other than that, I don't worry about it unless he shows signs of distress (usually swelling or the penis hanging out more than normal).

I wouldn't let it keep you from finding a great friend!

chandab

Reaction score
Ditto Maryann's Ditto.
In 35 years of horse ownership, I've cleaned two sheaths, and I've owned geldings longer. My first horse rarely, if ever, needed his cleaned; I think the equine dentist did it once or twice while he was sedated for dental work (he was 27 years when he passed, I owned him for 24 years). My gelding with Cushings was the first sheath I ever cleaned myself, and I attribute his dirtiness to his metabolic condition. I do have one now that will probably need to have his cleaned more than the previous and other, 7-8 boys, I've owned over the years; he doesn't drop to pee much, so likely to get more dirty than a gelding that drops more to pee.

Taz

Reaction score
Dittto again!!
I was taught (when I was your age) you had to clean them regularly and did and got used to it, rubber gloves a must! I haven't cleaned a sheath in years now and mine are all fine. You have to have teeth done with sedation so your vet can do it then if it's needed OR a lot of people I know have the vet sedate them when they get their shots and have it done then if it's needed. Don't let it stop you from getting a great gelding :D

Last edited:

Marsha Cassada

Reaction score
It's no big deal. My boys enjoy it. You have to clean udders, so what's the big deal? In the wild there would be no geldings. Stallions would breed and that keeps them clean.

mrichmond

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I’m glad to read this, too.In all my years with horses, I only ever had one gelding and other than hosing his sheath out, I never dealt with sheath cleaning. I wasn’t sure how to deal with it with the minis...they’re so close to the ground and I have a bad knee, so...

Latest posts