Hello

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJS

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif

Hello, I have been a member for some time but usually sit on the fence to read all the interesting topics.

I have been hooked for about 4 years now having purchased a number of BMHS and AMHA/R horses, my newest imports are HCM NAVAJO'S BLACK MAGIC, a black stallion, I cannot take my eyes off him and RISING SUN MINIATURES MOON DANCER a silver pinto mare in foal to STAR SKIPPER, I could not believe my luck when these two beautiful horses unloaded in January.

At this point I would like to add a HUGE note of THANKS to CHARLOTTE LUPTON at REFLECTIONS and JAMIE RUEHLE from american miniature horse.com, both ladies could not have been more helpful and supportive with the purchases. I am extremely grateful, it is very worrying when buying from abroad and not being able to see the horses.

I will buy again from both these ladies if given the chance (hubby permitting
default_wink.png
)

I have one more to come over in two weeks... I am hoping for another pleasant surprize!

Now to my question: I have decided to build my 1st website, can any one offer any advice as to the content?/format?

Many thanks

WJS

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, congrats on the new horses, I love horse shopping dont you!
default_laugh.png

As for your question if I am understanding it correctly:

For content I like to see a little bit of background or a farm story or something like that on the homepage just to kind of learn more about who a person is. Also a stallions page is generally necessary if you are a breeder. Sales pages are also good but put your sale horses on it dont make us navigate to the sales page only to read "look on mare, stallion, or foal pages". Having said that however if you have a few mares or stallions on the sales page but dont want to take and have to put all of your foals you are selling on there, just put a link back to the foals page but really the foals are the only ones with that excuse
default_smile.png
. Also put prices on the horses that are for sale, most people wont inquire on a horse without a price because that generally means the horse is over priced. For a mares page if you have lots of mares then you probably wont want to put them all on or at least not all at once but put the mares that either had a foal or are related to a horse on your sales page. For all of the pages reg. #s are always nice so we can research to see if we are really interested in your horses and to see how honest you are in your descriptions
default_rolleyes.gif
. If you dont want to have a contact page then just put your contact info on your home page at either the very top or very bottom so it is fairly easy to find. That is all I can think of for that right now but will add again later if I think of something.

Now as for format:

The most popular set-ups seem to be having the buttons on the side but fixing them so they scroll with you when you are looking at the rest of the page. I dont honestly like this myself but I know I have seen a lot of comments saying that most people do. I prefer just to put the links at the top of the page under the title and then again at the bottom of the page so that if you dont want to scroll up to the top again you dont have to. Music on webpages is a bad thing for slower connections you end up waiting forever just for the music to load and then forever more just to see the horses. Trailing images that follow a cursor on the screen are highly annoying as well. That is all that I can really advise you on since a lot of the rest is just how you want it to look.

This is just my opinion and some things I have noticed on other forum topics. I am sure many more people will respond as well. Good luck.

Content typically consists of home/introduction page, Stallions page, mares page, foals, for sale page and a contact page, or you can simply list your contact info at the top and/or bottom of each page, with main buttons on the top or side of each page for easy navigation. If a horse has any specific acknowledgements or abilities, you can have a button nest to their info that goes to that horses personal page to list those acknowledgements. You can also do this with a pedigree listing. A fun page is also nice, it allows people to see some more pics, but doesn't clutter up your main pages.

Format, I love crisp solid back grounds, best thing to do, go to the miniature horse breeders conect page on here, and browse the websites, you can pick out what you do and don't like and incorperate that idea into your own site.

Regarding a topic from a week or so ago, people listed what they love and hate in a web site, top of the list, music, LOL.

default_saludando.gif

Hello, Thank you for all the advice, I will start doing my homework.... and see how it goes, I have enrolled in college for a website design course, have to complete my own website by June! great fun.

Many thanks

wjs

Hello from Tennessee!
default_saludando.gif
Congratulations on your new horses, be sure to post pictures of them!

As far as a web site, don't put huge pictures (pixel) on your site. Remember there are still people with dial up and I don't think most will stick around waiting for pictures to load. I, myself, HATE music on web sites. Basically, just keep it simple (simple can mean pretty & creative) and easy to follow.

Hi and welcome! Congrats on the horses - they sound wonderful! Can you post pictures?

As far as websites, I would check the Lil Beginnings list of Breeders and check out those sites. Or the links on the AMHA website. Also check the ones of forum members who post links in their "signatures".

There was a post on here recently with even more hints; check out http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...amp;hl=websites.

Hello from Massachusetts and I love the little one in your avitar, want to ship him to me??? Only joking, but he is gorgeous.

Welcome from SW Mo.... I wanna see, I wanna see your horses.... I ALWAYS wanna see someone horses. LOVE to look at everyones. Your horse in your avatar is beautiful. Congrat's on your new horses.
default_saludando.gif
TJ

Last edited:
Hello from Southern Oregon!
default_saludando.gif
Congratulations on your new additions! I would look at what other people have done with their websites and then decide what you like and don't like. Personally I don't like music or things that hang off the curser.

Hello Everyone,

Really appreciate the warm welcome and advise, will post pics asap.

The Avatar mare is my newbie! Rising sun miniature Moon Dancer, I purchased her from Charlotte at Reflections Ranch.

She is better than her picture! in looks and nature... I would love a yard full just like her!
default_biggrin.png

Moon Dancer is due to foal in July and it will be a keeper no matter what sex!

I have two other mares due to foal, one in April and my other newbie is due to foal in July also.

I hav'nt had much luck with foaling to date, out of a possible 7 foals I have only had 1 live one, so am really hoping all goes well this time round.

Many thanks

wjs
default_biggrin.png

Welcome and congratulations on your new horses - you chose a couple of great farms to shop, nice horses and nice people in both cases.
default_smile.png
Good luck with your webpages......I gave up and turned mine over to Jean Barnhill, best thing I ever did LOL.

Jan

Hello from Happy Valley Ca!!

I think it's wonderful that your taking website design, it is always fun to build your own web site!

Good luck and what a pretty avatar!

default_saludando.gif
WELCOME from MAINE!!!!! That mare in your avatar is absolutely stunning!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked WOW
default_biggrin.png

I hope you have a happy and healthy foaling season!!

Shelly

Back