Heindl show carts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to topic... Heindl Show Carts

Like Keely...I LOVE my training cart (metal cart with a racing sulky seat) It is super nice quality, well built, comfortable for horse and driver.

But...I wouldnt have one of their show carts. They do indeed sit too tall. They look odd in the ring and feel odd to drive. DONT get me wrong...they are a well-built cart, good quality, nice folks doing a nice job on their carts. But they dont have the frame height right.

I've talked to Dave and John Heindl about this couple times and gave up. I've know these guys for years. They worked for Superior Sulky when I used to sell for Superior, then they opened their own shop and started building carts. I own their first training cart they ever built...drove it for them to take pics and start selling them then HAD to buy it cause I loved it and would buy another for sure.

John is an engineer and his Dad works with him. They arent horse people so maybe that is why the frame/seat height is hard for them to value. But they do build good safe carts.

I've mentioned this on other threads, but had to add the same 2 cents worth here...

Diabetic problems in my legs and a chronic bad back have left me somewhere between pathetically klutzy and useless. I am thus extremely cautious in getting into ANY cart.

I have a means of mounting the HyperBike that minimizes any risk and keeps me from falling on my face (or any other body part).

Standing to the left side and facing front, I lift my right leg over the left shaft and almost simultaneously sit down. My rear end is planted in the seat virtually by the time my right leg touches the ground between the shafts. I then put my left foot in the stirrup, then my right foot.

Mingus has a great whoa, but if the worst happened and he spooked, I would either be knocked clear of the cart or would be in the seat.

If I can do this with my worthless legs, a healthy body should have no problem and mounting need not be unsafe.

I feel much more at risk with the time it takes to step in and get seated in our easy entry cart (ours has a lift kit, so climbing in is not as quick as with lower carts).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, you know I love you but please let this go. Lori is not "bullying" you nor is what she's stating relative to the potential mounting issues out of line. We cannot mitigate risks if we haven't evaluated them ourselves and I too have thought about what would happen if I was between the seat and the horse when he lunged forward. It wouldn't be pretty. Now my solution to that is to do as Susanne does and make sure that I'm never standing between those two points during the mounting process, but it is a valid concern. I do not believe she wanted a seat that swiveled, rather she sits on the seat and swivels her body around. I've seen it done and understand what she's talking about, I just can't do it myself.
default_smile.png
If done with agility it does not dramatically affect the balance of the cart as you should sit over the axle and rest all your weight there while turning.

Anyway, I respect your engineering ability and your input on many topics but this one should never have been brought up on this thread. I wish I had something to say regarding the Heindl show carts!
default_laugh.png
If they're the ones Double Diamond sells/sold, I agree that they sit too high behind the horse just as many Houghton's did IMO.

Leia

We had a seat issue with our show cart just because Jessie was so light in the seat. She wasn't heavy enough to compress the springs at all. That made our seat slant forward. The seat was also vinyl. She kept adjusting her seat as she drove. Couldn't go in the show ring like that. Think fast! Oh, got it!! Everyone should carry DUCT TAPE. I took Jessie in the stall and made some roll strips of Duct Tape. I taped her panties to her fanny, her skirt to her panties and the seat to her skirt. Just had to sit in the right spot when you sat down. Never under estimate the resourcefulness of a redneck! I have made adjustments to the seat since including making the seat 1/2 the thickness it was. Don't need to use the duct tape to stay in the cart seat any more.

Bob, you know I love you but please let this go. Lori is not "bullying" you nor is what she's stating relative to the potential mounting issues out of line. We cannot mitigate risks if we haven't evaluated them ourselves and I too have thought about what would happen if I was between the seat and the horse when he lunged forward. It wouldn't be pretty. Now my solution to that is to do as Susanne does and make sure that I'm never standing between those two points during the mounting process, but it is a valid concern. I do not believe she wanted a seat that swiveled, rather she sits on the seat and swivels her body around. I've seen it done and understand what she's talking about, I just can't do it myself.
default_smile.png
If done with agility it does not dramatically affect the balance of the cart as you should sit over the axle and rest all your weight there while turning.

Anyway, I respect your engineering ability and your input on many topics but this one should never have been brought up on this thread. I wish I had something to say regarding the Heindl show carts!
default_laugh.png
If they're the ones Double Diamond sells/sold, I agree that they sit too high behind the horse just as many Houghton's did IMO.

Leia
I fully agree that I should not have responded in that thread as I did.

While I don't agree with your assessment, I still don't need to respond and will work on that. The respect you show me and others causes me to take your council to heart.

Thank you

Bb

Thank you Leia
default_wink.png
Apology accepted Bob.

Katiean I LOVE your redneck attitude!
default_biggrin.png
Duct tape, binder twine and a good knife - 3 things no horseperson should be without!

I picked my cart up yesterday, took it out for a test drive this morning and am quite pleased with it. It is well made and well balanced although I had to move the seat forward a bit to suit me - there was a bit too much lift in the shafts as it was.

I can see why you would have difficulty with the seat of the Heindl as it comes from the manufacturer. It is on quite a slant (I am not heavy enough to compress the springs either) and being vinyl you would tend to slide down it which would put your weight on the floor of the cart and not over the axle as it is meant to be. Fortunately the cart that I bought is second hand (although looks to be new)and the seat has been altered to sit at a better angle - MUCH BETTER! I still don't compress the seat springs at all but it sure is a comfortable ride for the driver! Not quite as comfortable for the horse because the seat springs are the only shock absorbers on it
default_sad.png
but it will only see use in the show ring and my exercise area where I don't expect to hit too many bumps and I will keep my elliptical springs for cross country.

You do sit quite a bit higher on this cart than you do in a Jerald, Houghton, Superior or Graber (those being my experiences with Miniature show carts) but I like it! I am quite short being slightly less than 5 feet tall and for the first time I feel as comfortable in my show cart as I do in my carriage carts which give me a better view
default_biggrin.png
I sit up high but can still reach the floor boards to give me some bracing, can comfortably have a straight line in my reins from the bit to my hands, and, being as short as I am, I don't look silly because I am still not as high up as others in the ring are. There is a cart for everyone out there, you just have to find one that is suitable for you!

I will get some photos driving it when I get a chance and let you know how well I like it once I have a few miles on it.

Revisiting this topic to ask those of you who've said you own/drive one of the Heindl training carts if you'd elaborate on all the reasons why you like yours, and also, do you consider them suitable for different sizes of minis--say, between 32 and 38"?(I am primarily interested in the use for horses right in the 34" range, but do have one each at 32 and 38", and it would be great to be able to use such a vehicle for all the ones I drive!)

I'd be especially interested in specifics of how you use your Heindl training cart...whether you trail drive, on what kind of terrain, how 'secure' is it(because it has a fairly narrow wheelbase), and do you use it for relatively long drives/periods of time in the cart. The stirrups seem to be in more of a 'sitting-in-a-chair" configuration than in a more 'sulky-like'one, where the feet are higher and more 'wrapped-around' the horse, so to speak. This looks more comfortable for someone older like me!..but I would love to hear input from those with actual use experience!

Thanks,

Margo

Hi Margo, I can't put in to much input as I only use my cart on 31 " minis and mostly drive on a levelish driving track and hilly road driving. I do live in a very steep hilly area and I found the cart to be very stable I never felt that way in my Frontier cart. With these little ones I don't over work the hills but what we've done has been comfortable for me and the horses seem very much the same.. I have a lot of health problems that include a lot of chronic pain and joint issues. This training cart is very kind to me physically. In fact the position I drive in with the Heindl actually can decrease my back pain. I've been known to hitch up for a drive as physical therapy and pain reducer for my lower back. Riding horses has given me the same kind of help but I don't ride anymore. I'm glad I have found a very enjoyable replacement.
default_smile.png
I do love this cart! I would buy another in a flash!

Christie from Scenery Hill, Pa

Revisiting this topic to ask those of you who've said you own/drive one of the Heindl training carts if you'd elaborate on all the reasons why you like yours, and also, do you consider them suitable for different sizes of minis--say, between 32 and 38"?(I am primarily interested in the use for horses right in the 34" range, but do have one each at 32 and 38", and it would be great to be able to use such a vehicle for all the ones I drive!)

Thanks for your response, Christie!

Anyone else care to add their comments? It would be appreciated!

Margo

Latest posts

Back