Hauling a mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiterbug

Reaction score
I am only asking this question because I am ignorant of horses thus far. Would it be dangerous for the mini if we put racks on our truck and bring our mini home that way? Will he just sit down or would he fall or get scared? What about the cold wind?

jiterbug

NO RACKS. Too cold, too scary.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

I can tell you I put them in the back of my truck with a topper and a strap
default_smile.png
We gather alot of attention going down the highway. I'm sorry but one little mini in a big 4 horse trailer with living quarters is alittle overkill.

If you don't have a way to transport see if you can find someone for reasonable
default_smile.png
I transport for people all the time. Most people don't have time to do it themselves or want to travel long distances.
default_rolleyes.gif

If at all possible try to find a trailer for rent or haul your mini in a mini van. Open trucks and horses are not the best idea. These little guys can jump much higher than you think especially if they get spooked. Not to mention the cold temps which can cause a seious sickness called shipping cold from riding in cold wind. Our local co-op has trailers you can rent by the day or try to borrow one from a horsey friend or neighbor. Depending on the size of the mini, they can even be hauled in an SUV. Just line the back end of the vehicle with heavy gauge plastic and be careful unloading so the little guy doesn't injure himself trying to jump out.

Where are you located? How long of a trip is it? Maybe someone can pitch in and help. It isn't safe to haul in the back of a truck that way.

I disagree, if you have livestock racks, not some strange contraption, they are made to safely haul livestock in the back of a pickup.

I have a set of livestock racks that I use a lot. We took sheet steel (like the metal on the horse trailers) and went around the front and sides on the outside of the racks to cut the wind. We inset a piece of plexiglass in the front so we could see what the horses are doing. We use a stall mat in the back of the pickup to keep them from sliding. With the sides and front on the racks, we have hauled more than 5000 miles without even losing the hay they had in there to munch on, there is almost no wind in it. We also carry a tarp in case of rain and have had no problem hauling any horse in the rack.

You will have to be sure there is a ditch or bank to load them or a ramp, tie them and they will be fine.

I feel safer hauling them in the pickup where I can keep an eye on them than hauling them in the trailer where I can't see them. I use mine all the time and people are always asking where I got them. The livestock racks that I have were made in the 50's for hauling cattle. I have a set for both the short bed truck and the long bed truck and would lots rather use them than the trailer for long trips.

Mary

Well, I don't have an SUV or a mini van (just sold it this past spring) and I have looked everywhere to find a trailer to rent or borrow and I've had no luck. When you guys do haul one how do you tie him? Should he have enough slack to lay down? Do they lay down or do they just stand?

jiterbug

Jiterbug why don't you ask the people that your buying the mini from to haul him home for you? Will you be keeping this mini by him or her self, most minis don't like to live alone. It sounds like your new to minis, do you know anyone that lives around you that has minis that can help you with your mini?

[SIZE=14pt]I have SAFELY hauled several of my horses in a stock rack in the back of my truck. If I have 1 or 2 I would rather do that then hook of the 16 foot gooseneck. Saying that I dont haul them in cold or rainy weather. As for getting things in their eyes... fly masks. As for them jumping out... if it is a TRUE stock it will be a couple of feet higher then your cab (mine is taller then me by a foot out of the truck.) Mine also has bars at the top. I haul my biggest mares and no one has yet bailed out. You just have to be sure you have a "ramp" or hill so they can get in and out of the back safely. I have used pond banks and ditches.[/SIZE]

April

In emergencies-

If you are really stuck, you can move the front seats of your car up to what you can safely drive with. I have stuck a 32" and under minis in the back seat, front legs in one foot well, back legs in the other foot well. I put chux (what nurses aides put under bed bound patients) under their feet and a tarp under their butt on the floor. I cover the back seats with tarp as well and put a little hay there.

I have had to haul in -40 below weather to the vet in an emergency, who is an hour away. This worked well. You have to have a lot of patience to get them out as it takes a few minutes for them to manuver the hump in the foot well when exiting the car.

Since no one has answered your question about horsie behavior yet, I will.
default_smile.png
Horses generally don't sit like dogs except when getting up from a laying position and will not lay down unless they feel relaxed and comfortable with their environment or they are very sick. In other words it's normal for them to lay down in their pasture or stall, somewhere they feel safe, but if he's laying down in your trailer it may be from some kind of colic or stress shock. You could recognize that by the look of distress in the horse's eyes, possible sweating on their chest and body area, and elevated pulse and respiration. A resting horse will look calm and happy, often have their ears forward or relaxed to the side, and may rest their nose on the ground by their forelegs. They will lay flat out for short periods of time or roll to scratch their backs but usually do not stay in those positions for long.

I'm glad you're asking questions, please feel free to ask away! It's nice to see a new owner researching so diligently.
default_yes.gif

Leia

If you have regular stock racks they would be much higher than a mini can jump. We used to haul big horses like this back in the (OMG) 60's. If it's cold put a blanket on him. Fly mask will keep things out of his eyes. I'd use a heavy rubber mat or bedliner so he has good footing - don't want him sliding around while you're driving. Take the corners slow.

If it's a long haul or bad weather, then you might want to look for a better way to get him home.

I don't think I would take the chance in hauling a mini that way, we use our conversion van which works out great, I want to get an extended panel van and set it up for minis, I'd like to do this next year.

I had a stock rack (it had a solid front over the cab) for the back of my truck when I was barrel racing. I had some carpet down in the bed of the truck so he had good footing. Posh "LOVED" to go for rides in the truck. I had a Ford F-250 I would just tell him to load up and with the tailgate hitting him in the chest he would jump up into the truck. I never had a problem with this but then I read an article where a horse jumped over the cab and landed in the road in front of the truck. I now have a fully enclosed trailer. There is no chance of any horse getting out. As was suggested in another reply I would use a car if nothing better is available. I moved a mini in the 70's that way. But, I took the back seat out of my pinto hatch back and put shavings on the floor. He did poop but it was easy to clean up at the car wash.

default_smile.png
Horses generally don't sit like dogs except when getting up from a laying position and will not lay down unless they feel relaxed and comfortable with their environment or they are very sick. In other words it's normal for them to lay down in their pasture or stall, somewhere they feel safe, but if he's laying down in your trailer it may be from some kind of colic or stress shock. You could recognize that by the look of distress in the horse's eyes, possible sweating on their chest and body area, and elevated pulse and respiration. A resting horse will look calm and happy, often have their ears forward or relaxed to the side, and may rest their nose on the ground by their forelegs. They will lay flat out for short periods of time or roll to scratch their backs but usually do not stay in those positions for long.

I'm glad you're asking questions, please feel free to ask away! It's nice to see a new owner researching so diligently.
default_yes.gif

Leia

Leia gave you some good info and I wanted to second her praise on your asking advice. I also wanted to strongly suggest that you check out some books on general horse care before bringing your little one home. It sounds like you are new to all of this, NOTHING wrong with that, but horses are a lot easier to go wrong with than so many animals. I wish you the best with your new friend!!!!!!!!

You haven't said what part of the country you are from - might be someone on here who could help you out.
default_smile.png

Jan

I live in southern west virginia. I may talk to the seller, it is about an hour and 45 minute trip. My daughter and I found this really neat book from Barnes and NOBLE that included a small plastic horse and it had a piece of leather with it and a piece of felt and some leather strips. We cut out the design for the saddle and bridle and blanket and each piece we had to glue together like a model and that's how we learned the different parts of the saddle, bridle, stirrups and such. The book walked us through the different parts of a horse, communicating with a horse and all sorts of neat stuff! It talked about colors, what a gelding, stallion mare, filly and such are. What a great book! Just wanted to share that.

default_smile.png

default_yes.gif

Leia

Leia gave you some good info and I wanted to second her praise on your asking advice. I also wanted to strongly suggest that you check out some books on general horse care before bringing your little one home. It sounds like you are new to all of this, NOTHING wrong with that, but horses are a lot easier to go wrong with than so many animals. I wish you the best with your new friend!!!!!!!!

I live in southern west virginia. I may talk to the seller, it is about an hour and 45 minute trip. My daughter and I found this really neat book from Barnes and NOBLE that included a small plastic horse and it had a piece of leather with it and a piece of felt and some leather strips. We cut out the design for the saddle and bridle and blanket and each piece we had to glue together like a model and that's how we learned the different parts of the saddle, bridle, stirrups and such. The book walked us through the different parts of a horse, communicating with a horse and all sorts of neat stuff! It talked about colors, what a gelding, stallion mare, filly and such are. What a great book! Just wanted to share that.

Did the book include things such as feeding, supplements, proper fencing, shelter, vaccines, hoof care, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since no one has answered your question about horsie behavior yet, I will. Horses generally don't sit like dogs except when getting up from a laying position and will not lay down unless they feel relaxed and comfortable with their environment or they are very sick. In other words it's normal for them to lay down in their pasture or stall, somewhere they feel safe, but if he's laying down in your trailer it may be from some kind of colic or stress shock. You could recognize that by the look of distress in the horse's eyes, possible sweating on their chest and body area, and elevated pulse and respiration. A resting horse will look calm and happy, often have their ears forward or relaxed to the side, and may rest their nose on the ground by their forelegs. They will lay flat out for short periods of time or roll to scratch their backs but usually do not stay in those positions for long.

Leia
For once I have to disagree with Leia. Laying down in the trailer does always mean a horse is stressing or sick. I brought my four months old home in a two horse bumper pull from South Carolina to VA. I had two hay bales in the trailer blocking off a section toward the back so they wouldn't have the whole run of the trailer. When I stopped to check on them in NC they were happily laying down and muching on the hay bales. When we stopped they got up, stretched, and asked for some pets. They traveled like this (laying down) until they were two.

Courtney

no time to read all of the replies here so don't know if this has been addressed but if you haul with your horses tied, tie them short enough so they can't get a foot over the lead rope. not so tight that they can't move their head/neck for balance though.

when i hauled horses, i only tied if there was more than one in the trailer. if i hauled one horse, i always hauled it loose. many times, horses hauled loose will actually ride backwards. used to have people pass me and laugh and point at my paint mare, she loved riding backwards.
default_smile.png

mondak said:
...but if he's laying down in your trailer it may be from some kind of colic or stress shock.
Leia
For once I have to disagree with Leia. Laying down in the trailer does always mean a horse is stressing or sick. I brought my four months old home in a two horse bumper pull from South Carolina to VA. I had two hay bales in the trailer blocking off a section toward the back so they wouldn't have the whole run of the trailer. When I stopped to check on them in NC they were happily laying down and muching on the hay bales. When we stopped they got up, stretched, and asked for some pets. They traveled like this (laying down) until they were two.

Courtney
I don't think we're disagreeing now, Courtney!
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png
I said "may be" to allow for just the kind of travelers you're describing and I think perhaps you left out a "not" in the "does always" above, given the example you then cited. So at the end of the grammarical wrangling we're saying the same thing.
default_cheekkiss.gif

Leia

Latest posts

Back