Hauling a mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree, if you have livestock racks, not some strange contraption, they are made to safely haul livestock in the back of a pickup.

I have a set of livestock racks that I use a lot. We took sheet steel (like the metal on the horse trailers) and went around the front and sides on the outside of the racks to cut the wind. We inset a piece of plexiglass in the front so we could see what the horses are doing. We use a stall mat in the back of the pickup to keep them from sliding. With the sides and front on the racks, we have hauled more than 5000 miles without even losing the hay they had in there to munch on, there is almost no wind in it. We also carry a tarp in case of rain and have had no problem hauling any horse in the rack.

You will have to be sure there is a ditch or bank to load them or a ramp, tie them and they will be fine.

I feel safer hauling them in the pickup where I can keep an eye on them than hauling them in the trailer where I can't see them. I use mine all the time and people are always asking where I got them. The livestock racks that I have were made in the 50's for hauling cattle. I have a set for both the short bed truck and the long bed truck and would lots rather use them than the trailer for long trips.

Mary
[SIZE=12pt]I agree completely. I also feel that for someone NOT used to pulling a trailer, a stock rack, safely set up, sheltered and anchored is the safest way to go. I also feel that hauling a horse (except a very small foal, can be extremely dangerous for the horse AND for the people in the car. Horses can panic in scary situations and hooves are hard and will injure.[/SIZE]

I would also recommend that you read as much about horse care, housing, proper feeding and handling. It's a great idea to learn as much as possible about caring for your new friend
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
my husband is going to make a "box" for hauling just one or two mini in the back of the pick up as there's no point to wasting gas hauling our 13' trailer for just one or two. he hasn't got the plans finished yet but it will be fairly weather proof, but have air circulation too. he's planning on a top that will open to put the horses in and out and also a ramp of sorts. i know other people have these in fact i've seen ads for a company that makes them. If anyone has made their own I'd love to hear details.

Thanks Danielle

We have a sm. stock trailer that we use but have gone to the World show and brought a filly back in the back of our crew cab truck. Hubby took out the seat and lined the back with a tarp and straw and we live in Kansas. She rested her head on the center console and watched the world go by and we have had a yearling in the back of a van with the seats out. She just gazed out the window and was very calm. In the stock trailer we let them be loose as i am afraid someone will get hung up and we would not know it. Never tried in the back with stocks but if it was kinda enclosed to protect from eye injury and to much wind also need something non-slippery for the floor.

Leia I apoligize. I did not read your post correctly and to boot I didn't even answer in proper english...bad english major! Bad english major! Riding two upper level dressage horses, a jumper, and driving a hackey everyday day in between classes is taking its toll.
default_footinmouth.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif

Courtney

Latest posts

Back