Hardshipping "sale"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suec-yes you can then late register her past foals with AMHR if you hardship her. That is what I am doing with my mares. To hardship and pay the late registration fee for a 3+ yr old mare is $160, but to late register her foals after she is hardshipped is $60 so it does save you quite a bit.

This is just simply awesome! Really wasn't looking forward to having to pay $400 + age appropriate registration fee for my newest addition, Love It. This means that I can get him hardshipped first thing next year instead of having to wait forever and save up! Woohoo!!!

oh i wish AMHA would do this!! One of my colts i am planning to use as a stallion is already R and WC. Id love to have him in A.....

Did they drop it for the ponies too?

What a joke. I have been living in such a Fairytale world for thirty years thinking that I was breeding something. Enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
It helps me out because I have a little filly that is only AMHA registered but in a reality............I so wish there was just one registry. It is such a pain in the butt doing paperwork and photos for multiple registries. It cost so much money to belong to both and keep up with all the paperwork fees but I know not many of you feel this way.

It helps me out because I have a little filly that is only AMHA registered but in a reality............I so wish there was just one registry. It is such a pain in the butt doing paperwork and photos for multiple registries. It cost so much money to belong to both and keep up with all the paperwork fees but I know not many of you feel this way.
I totally understand. I dropped AMHA because I just can't afford to do both. I only have one A gelding who just doesn't show very much especially not in AMHA, but if AMHA decided to cut their hardship fees in half it may actually get me more involved but if not I I'll stick with AMHR.

Lavern I see your point, I don't see the problem with ASPC as they are already part of the registry and only 3 years olds and older can benefit from this, but I think this will make a market from AMHA horses and maybe people will become more involved with AMHR. I really honestly don't see the point in accepting Fabella's and I thought they stopped accepthing hardship from them but guess not. At least they aren't taking unregistered minis.

I think it is an amazing idea. They have not opened their doors to outside hardshipping, but have lowered their fees for a year to bring in more AMHA horses and shetlands. I think it is very smart, especially with so many more farms changing to primarily AMHR/ASPC.

I see the whole problem with the ASPC, they aren't part of the association, they are the association. They make the rules and they run the show and things are not going to change. To them the AMHR is nothing but a way to make some more money to support the Shetland Pony Club. Let any horse be a registered miniature for a buck. But don't let anyone hardship into the Shetland,because they are special. This was a decision by the board and who are they?

Like Kenny said, "You have to know when to hold em and know when to fold em." I'm folding. I'm done supporting the ASPC . I will take all I can from the AMHR stud books and go my own way.

I will send the stud reports in and my membership fee and reg. when it is necessary. But, no more money and no more sponsorships for stuff, to be sure the Congress has a nice home from me.

And I will advise other straight miniature people to do the same. These papers aren't worth the paper they are written on. Enough.

Lavern I totally get that you are upset. And a part of me understands. But if you feel that strongly then try to make a change. Get the AMHR studbook closed. Then the AMHR horses will also be "special" Because right now they are a height only registry not a breed.

I never agreed with Falabellas being able to hardship in and I never agreed that Shetlands should have to hardship to the very registry they created. But its out of my hands.

Heck it wasn't that many years ago any miniature horse could register AMHR. I still remember how upset people were when they closed it with only about 30 days notice.

For all any of us know they could close it a year from now. Who knows?

In this economy it was imo a smart decision to drop the fee. Its not like they weren't being hardshipped before the fee reduction. But for sure more will take advantage and hardship now and maybe they will get some members back.

And yes the assoc name as always been the American Shetland Pony Club. Why so many act like they didn't know this is astounding to me.

to be sure the Congress has a nice home from me.
I know you are surely joking. This was the first year that Congress had real center ring decorations since I started ten plus years ago. And it only got those because they upped the fees to match Nationals.

Now I voted against Tulsa for Congress and I think going to Tulsa the expenses will explode. But that is how the member vote went so for at least a year we will be at Tulsa.

Before anyone yells about the money Congress loses; it was never meant to make money. If they wanted it to it would. Nationals even with 1500 horses lost money just a couple years ago. Havent seen the numbers from this year. But I have always been told the National shows were the payback to the members whether they made money or not.

I agree with Kay for the most part. I don't see why Fabellas should be allowed to be hardshipped in, but I'm sorry I think ASPC should still be hardshipped in. I think there will be a time soon AMHR will close its doors to AMHA and hopefully Fabella, but I think the doors will always remain open to ASPC. Do I see that as negative, no I don't. Ask me that 2 years ago or even last year I would have said heck yeah. This year I've really opened my eyes and accepted the miniature shetlands. They have really made the miniatures better and is more competitive. I still would love to see AMHR add some type of halter class for the I guess "foundation" built minis. I certaintly don't want to see the miniature horse to go away.

I see this sale benfiting more the AMHA horses than I do the shetlands. AMHA is closing its doors next year. People have been talking about switching over because of this. People are tired of having to pay for 2 registeres. By offering this sale we are opening the door to new people, even from the AMHA side, bringing in more revenue. That means more "straight" miniatures into the registry, and hopefully more will be showing.

I should not have used Congress as my example. It certainly is not the only thing that the miniatures have paid for for years.

I had a call from a director, I think to calm me down (I am calm, I don't give a hoot anymore). He asked what I wanted. I said it was easy. Recognition. I want it to say Certified AMHR Miniature Horse on the papers of all the Miniature Horses A and B that have a full pedigree of AMHR miniature breeding, on their papers starting in 2012.

That means for the foal to be Certified - the sire and dam must be AMHR - the grand parents must be AMHR - the great grandparents must be AMHR.

Example - my new stallion was hard shipped from AMHA, as his mother was not AMHR. So his kids and grand kids could never be Certified. His Great Grands kids could be. Four generations AMHR must be on the papers.

I don't know if I even want the Registry to close, as so many don't and who am I to tell others what to do. But I do feel that we who have stuck with this for so long and have tried to breed a type and done it within our registry at least deserve to have our horses recognized as something worthwhile and hopefully good.

So basiclly like foundation with the shetlands only with minis? I would be cool for that, I've been wanting that for some time now.

I agree w/ JMS. I see the sale as bringing in more "outside" business. I think there will be more AMHA animals hardshipped than Shetlands and hopefully we'll pull in some new members or get some members to return with the offer. If you know anything about the drop in numbers over the last three years, you'll understand why it was time to make some pretty large incentive type offer. Do I think some Shetlands will benefit from this sale? Absolutely. However, all of us Shetland people aren't sitting on dozens & dozens of ponies that we are now going to rush out to hardship just because the fee is lower. Sure, it may speed up some hardshipping of a some ponies but I bet it won't be rash. Shoot, even if I know of someone who will hardship several ponies during the sale, it's not like the person is going to be scrounging up ponies to hardship... rather, the person already had the ponies measured & the paperwork done and was just planning to hardship as they could.

Of course, ponies still have to be 3 to hardship. So, this sale doesn't help anyone who might be starting to bring in some ponies to their "miniature" program but who went w/ young stock that won't be eligible for hardship for another 3 years.

I say ... better to legitimately hardship ... than just "throw away" some pony paperwork as some "miniature" programs did before.

One more thought, I guess I feel that the registry should be saying to all these people that want an AMHR horse - go to an established AMHR breeder and buy one, instead of letting them get one for 300 bucks. Instead of backing the breeders, they are stabbing us in the back. They are basically selling papers and establishing the value of our horses.

LaVern... I also see this business move as a positive one for ASPC/AMHR. It already has allowed hard shipping for a long while, although no longer grade animals. The price is just lower, mostly to take advantage of AMhA... And hopefully win business from there down the road. Obviously it's cheaper and easier to register foals from registered parents than go through the wait, hassle, and added expense of hard shipping.

I understand you'd like a "foundation seal" for the minis like the ponies have... That is a great idea. But don't attack the Shetlands because of it. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

LaVern... I also see this business move as a positive one for ASPC/AMHR. It already has allowed hard shipping for a long while, although no longer grade animals. The price is just lower, mostly to take advantage of AMhA... And hopefully win business from there down the road. Obviously it's cheaper and easier to register foals from registered parents than go through the wait, hassle, and added expense of hard shipping.

I understand you'd like a "foundation seal" for the minis like the ponies have... That is a great idea. But don't attack the Shetlands because of it. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I am not attacking the ASPC as much as they have attacked me. Man this was a sucker punch.

And I too see this as a VERY VERY VERY positive business move for the ASPC/AMHR, but not for me, an AMHR breeder. But hey what's new?

And not the word foundation seal for the miniatures. Straight -Certified- whatever, but our own word at least.

But it is never going to happen anyway, so who cares.

I don't honey coat anything.

I have been watching this thread from the beginning, and must say I have very mixed emotions about it.

First of all, let me say that I have NEVER had a complaint against AMHR as an organization or any of the business I have done with them. All of my horses are registered AMHA and AMHR except one exceptional mare that I bought this year that is AMHA only. My problem has been with Shetland breeders who get on this forum and promote the attitude that Shetlands are so superior to Minis and that if you want your horses to be able to compete that you just MUST introduce Shetland into your breeding program. Well, that is NOT what I want. I don't want Morgans, I don't want Walking Horses, I don't want Quarter Horses, and I don't want Shetlands. I want MINIATURES! So, with my need to cut expenses and with this prevailing attitude that you just must have Shetland in your program in order to be competitive, I dropped my AMHR membership in 2011. Why should I waste that money when so many of the R breeders have adopted the attitude that if it isn't Shetland, it just isn't any good? Why should AMHA MINIATURE breeders spend money hardshipping into AMHR to promote Shetlands? Seems to me like money down the drain.
default_no.gif

I've not totally made up my mind yet, but before I pay a membership fee, the $100 hardship fee, plus the $60 registration fee in order to hardship a mare, someone is going to have to convince me why it is worth it to spend so much money on a horse that so many ASPC/AMHR breeders are going to look down on.

Latest posts

Back