Hardshipping "sale"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think someone doesn't understand the European situation too well. At least your version of the AMHR situation in Europe is very different from the one I've heard from different people!

I don't believe that this is going to really do much over there - from what I have been told most of those horses already have AMHR papers and our BOD needs to find a way to entice them to TRANSFER the darn things and then register the then eligible foals. If this sale was all about helping people out in Europe it would be a half price transfer, perm, and late stallion report sale because that's what would help them in Europe!

The people this sale will help the most are AMHR members who have a couple AMHA individuals and who want to make their herd completely AMHR registered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a lot of dealing with European clients? I must admit I have never sold to one. A lot of people contact me, but I always say that my good ones are AMHR 36 inchers. Someone is not very smart.

No, I don't have dealings with European clients, but I know people in Europe & talk to people in Europe and I know people who have sold to Europe. I don't have to have dealings with anyone there to be interested in learning things about the horses they buy and the paperwork issues they have--when one pays attention and listens with an open mind and a genuine interest in learning about things, one learns a lot.

How does it affect me as breeder? Guess a Big Sign Should go up. Lucky Hart Sale. $100.00 ahead for AMHR registered horses because that is all the registry says it takes to get one.
Let me know when you start that sale, at that price I might be able to convince my husband I need a few more minis.
default_wink.png
Love my George daughter and my Robby daughter.
default_wub.png

As far as adding AMHA horses to AMHR through the "Hardship sale" I don't see how, as someone mentioned, it's going to ruin AMHR or make AMHR paperwork worthless. People have and are going to continue to hardship AMHA registered horses into AMHR as long as the registry is open to hardshipping, making it a bit more affordable for a year,isn't going to make much difference in the long run.
Exactly...and I think it a little melodramatic to go on about how this will make the AMHR horses only worth $100 bucks.
default_rolleyes.gif
Seriously, if you think about it, the AMHA and AMHR are really the same horses anyways...good grief...where do you think the base of the AMHA horses came from to begin with? Personally, I think it wasn't such a smart thing to do...starting another organization for the "same" horses, but it was done...and I am not about to get my knickers in a knot because someone prefers one over the other. I belonged to both, bred both...prefer the big "A"s to mid "B's" myself, but don't knock someone for breeding the horses they want to unless they are conformationally unsuited for breeding; something that happens far-far too much with the miniature breed, IMO.

I just don't really get this whole argument saying now AMHR only horses are worthless and can't sell them. AMHR is not accepting unregistered horses into the registry. If they were I would be throwing a screaming fit. I thought we wanted AMHR to have new members, I bet this sale will help do that. It will still be cheaper in the long run to buy a already registered AMHR horse.

The only way to stop hardshipping is by closing the registry, it will also limit the shetlands coming in as well. So get a petition going, get member signatures and give it to the BOD.

When those papers finally became VERY VERY VERY Valuable for us, they dropped the price on them. It is as simple as that. I give up.

I know lots of smart people too, guess it just doesn't rub off on me.

I think you are probably right about becoming more knowledgeable of all the rules within all the different areas, if I were to stay with it, but the unfairness has gotten to be more than I can stand. I wish I could meet a young smart person that I could give the whole works to if they would start a new registry and new breed that was pedigree and look. One simple rule. Honest paper work.

How does it affect me as breeder? Guess a Big Sign Should go up. Lucky Hart Sale. $100.00 ahead for AMHR registered horses because that is all the registry says it takes to get one.
No need to be rude. I was honestly asking you to explain your point of view. I was not being snotty I was trying to understand. Never mind, I guess it's not that important.
default_no.gif

Joy

Oh, I am so sorry for using those big letters. I just hate that. It does seem so rude. I just get crazy, Again, I apologize.

Lavern

Like I said on my first post, I totally get your frustration and understand it. And I think Jacki made good points too. It is frustrating to spend years building an AMHR herd and then watch people hardship in at any price

The ultimate solution is to close the AMHR studbook completely. I was hoping maybe that is the ultimate goal with this "sale" but I could be dead wrong.

I cant imagine that if AMHA closes theirs we would still accept AMHA hardships. But again I could be wrong.

The Foundations are the only ones who have to pay to get the "Foundation Seal" on the papers, it is $10. However, to SHOW as a Foundation, the ponies ALSO have to be Foundation "type" (slightly heavier bone) AND measure 42" or under instead of 46" which is the maximum for all the other Shetland divisions.
Just to be clear--- a pony born to two foundation parents that already have a seal -- automatically get the foundation seal and there is no fee. If people are sitting on ones that qualify and dont have the seal I highly recommend getting it soon as like I said they will probably stop issuing new seals soon.

When those papers finally became VERY VERY VERY Valuable for us, they dropped the price on them. It is as simple as that. I give up.
I have to ask....how did those papers become VERY VERY VERY valuable all of a sudden?
Since you are complaining that AMHR is now telling "us" that AMHR horses are worth only $100 since that is what it costs to get one (your words)--and actually I guess that would be mares and geldings, because stallions cost $200 to get papers on in 2012 then it would seem to me that currently AMHR horses must be worth $200 (or $400 in the case of stallions), because that is what it costs to get one.

So....you are saying that $200/$400 makes a horse very valuable, but $100/$200 makes them worthless?

I kept my mouth closed when I seen this the first time around as I know it's not the popular thought here.

The hardship "sale" is a AMHR stimulus, not per say a AMHR breeder stimulus. Comparatively AMHR is cheap to hardship into, I have hardshipped into AMHR as I felt it added value to the horse and resulting foals. Now to offer a deal to those that didn't deem it worth while enough to do it at $200 seems a bit of a slap in the face to those that have supported AMHR all along. Granted that statement will ruffle feathers but this incentive wasn't geared towards those that were going to do it but more towards those that now say, "what the heck, it's cheap enough". I have no idea how many horses are hardshipped a year in to AMHR but lets pick 500 so now AMHR has to get 1000 just to maintain the same income. Nothing has changed to increase demand but we've increased the supply. Next year there will be foal registrations off of these hardships so that will be an added perk for the registry and 500 or so more foals on the market.

Personally I don't see this as a drawing card for AMHA breeders. Sure there will be some but most of the AMHA breeders that wanted AMHR horses already have them and with the push for ASPC/AMHR horses in the ring I don't see many spending the $100, but that's just my opinion.

I believe that in the last year of "hardshipping" before the fees were raised to the current levels of $200 and $400--that is, when you paid only $50 to hardship an AMHR horse in--there were 2500 horses hardshipped in.

I haven't heard numbers for years since then, but I would imagine they dropped significantly once the fees took a big jump.

The BOD is no doubt hoping that this "sale" will once again bring some bigger numbers into AMHR--bigger numbers mean more money, not just on the hardshipping fees themselves....more AMHR registered horses mean more foal registrations, more transfers, more temp to perm fees. It's good business for AMHR.

All along people scream that ASPC/AMHR should be run like a business, and then as soon as it does get run like a business some people get their panties in a bunch because of it.

Any business that runs a sale on anything knows that they make less money on individual sales and that they must therefore sell more of the sale items--and generally sales do bring in more people and cause those people to buy more items....and guess what? Many of those people are REGULAR CUSTOMERS and yes, they may very well come into the store and buy something that they wouldn't ordinarily have bought just because it is now on sale. They go away saying I really like that store, it's my favorite store and now with this sale I feel they have given something back to me, one of their regular customers.

Yes, I know there are regular AMHR supporters who will be taking advantage of this hardshipping sale. They are regular AMHR members who spend a lot of money on registrations, transfers and temp to perm applications each and every year. They have even hardshipped in some AMHA horses here & there. But, they currently have some AMHA horses that they haven't hardshpped, and weren't planning to hardship just because the money just wasn't available for hardship fees...in some cases they were going to leave the horses AMHA only and in other cases they were going to sell those horses as AMHA only just so that they would then be "all AMHR". Now with the lower fees they are planning to get the AMHR papers on those horses after all--so how is that not a win-win situation? The registry gets some money it wouldn't otherwise have gotten and the AMHR member gets the AMHR papers he wouldn't have had otherwise.

Me Again, I think if they had said, "Do it now, as next year it is going to go up 100.00", would have been better business move. The papers are Very Valuable because so many have seen the light, and love showing and being with other AMHR people, Oh it is fun. If you don't have the papers you can't do it. I am not saying that one is better than the other, but AMHR is where the action is, at least up here.

AMHR, just like AMHA and other Mini registries, are a height breed only. I have seen some really nice horses over the years with no pedigrees on the papers- didnt make them any less of a nice horse. I dont see that Mini breeders/owners need to have Shetland to compete. If I wanted a Shetland, I would buy one.

I've had horses over the years of other breeds that had no pedigree to trace really, that out performed and out worked horses with papers any day, so I guess it is not that important to me. I judge a horse as an individual and if a registry is willing to give that horse some type of paper work because they meet the qualifications of the breed (height in this case) then I think that is nice and a plus for the owner of that horse in the future.
default_smile.png

The way I see this sale for me personally is -- every horse on my place is registered AMHR, so since I bought an AMHA-only mare (couldn't resist this one) this helps me in registering her AMHR as all the rest of my horses are. I have AMHA horses too, but a lot of my horses are the "B size", I love leggy horses and I love to drive, and so the B's are a love of mine.

The way I see this sale as a benefit to AMHR is -- there are surely plenty of people out there who, as someone else mentioned, have AMHA-only registered horses and weren't planning on registering them with AMHR, but now with the sale, hey, why not? There are a lot of people like me who show only AMHR for the most part and the AMHR registration is a big draw, or a must-have. And, those people who may not currently be AMHR members will have to sign up in order to get that paperwork done. Maybe they've got other AMHR paperwork that also could be done while they're members (again, or for the first time). And maybe they'll remain as members. Additional income for the registry. Times are tough right now as we all know, and this sale should help out both members and the registry.

I personally don't see this as a "cheapening" of my AMHR registered horses, I see it as bringing in more horses to my preferred registry, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
default_smile.png

Realized I was learning a lot as I read back through this thread. I'm going to summarize what I've been learning. However, first, perhaps some might find some quick numbers interesting.

From this thread ....

1) Not a single "Shetland" person has come on here promoting you need a Shetland to win in AMHR

2) Not a single "Shetland" person has come on here noting they have dozens of critters to hardship into AMHR now.

3) Nearly 20 "miniature" people have noted they are glad to see this is as they have numerous "straight" miniatures to hardship. I stopped counting the exact number of animals when it it neared 3 dozen ... and that was well before I stopped counting the number of breeders.

4) Exactly ONE person who does Miniatures and is interested in double-registered ASPC/AMHR has specifically referred to going out to find some ASPC ponies to hardship. (To that I say, good luck. Personally, from experience, I am not as convinced they are as plentiful as some say.)

5) Although nearly 20 miniature people noted that they had "A" horses to hardship, only one person here has noted they plan to use the sale on an ASPC pony. Of course, that one example can't possible hurt a breeding program as the pony noted was a gelding.

I hadn't really kept up with this thread, but I am glad I read back through it quickly. I learned some amazing things!

From this discussion, I have learned a few things...

First, some papers are apparently valuable. I guess that explains why a "miniature horse" breeder might lose/burn/disregard Shetland papers on ponies that were added to their "miniature" program over the years. Apparently the miniature papers (whether the horse was double registered and had two sets of papers OR in instances where the Shetland papers were "burned" and miniature papers were just magically given to a once-papered pony), are all that matters.

Second, only some programs/preferences should be given consideration. What might be a benefit to others isn't as important. Only some people deserve to have rights or their ideas of what the business should be should be catered to.

Third, there are millions of ponies out there waiting to be hardshipped and doing so is going to impact some breeders. Wow, didn't know there were so many little ponies out there. I get calls all the time from "miniature horse" breeders looking, looking, looking, looking for my kind of pony in Miniature size. Funny thing, those folks can't find them as easily as they like. Obviously, I don't have a bunch to hardship. With the exception of one person, none of my "pony" friends are sitting on great big bunches of ponies to hardship ... and even that person with a few only has a few ... not outlandish numbers. Wish I had more... or, any at all! First, so I could take advantage of the sale. But, more importantly, so I could actually help all of the miniature horse folks who contact me ... contact me ... NOT that I go looking for. So, I hope all of those folks with so very, very, very, very many ponies to hardship will get it done and start marketing. Then, I will have some place to point those miniature breeders when they call me. I sure don't know where to tell them to go now.

Fourth, although the majority of the people here who have posted about being being thankful for this sale have AMHA horses and are more "miniature" focused, this is all still some sort of dastardly plot by the evil pony-owning board members. The fact that business is down is of no concern. The fact that some portions of registry business has been dropping steadily for several years is of no concern. Thankfully, at least some portions of the business have been holding beautifully steady for dozens & dozens of years. I don't see any incentives being given to those long-termers.

Fifth, our rulebook is clearly too complicated. Many people clearly don't have a good concept of the ASPC/AMHR/ASPR/NSPR's entire business.

Oh ... and a helpful point of history...

Interested in a foundation or heritage division for Miniatures? GREAT! I hope you actually get up and do something about it. If no one does, then I guess the talk was just lip service and no one was really serious. Several have referenced the ASPC's Foundation division in this thread. The pony Foundation division is not that old; it was passed early in the 2000s. Therefore, I would HOPE that some of you might actually remember how it came to be, but I doubt it. The board didn't just magically put it into place and say "poof, hear ya go." An individual worked diligently to lay the ground work. Then, a committee oversaw its creation. It was a LOT of work and it happened over months and months. It was more than just talk. A plan was made, it was worked on over time and detailed rules/regulations were agreed upon in committee. Then ... and ONLY then ... was the ASPC's Foundation option presented.

If you want something like that for Miniatures, then get busy. No one is going to magically do it for you. It takes the work of committed individuals.

Are you committed?

Time will tell.

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Amy!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

We have one pony to hardship, an ASPC gelding. We intended on hardshipping him when we had the extra $$ anyway.

Latest posts

Back