Hardshipping "sale"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great posts Amy!

Actually, I never got around to saying it earlier, but I do have one ASPC pony, a coming 3 year old stallion, that will be hardshipped in 2012 assuming he still measures in when the time comes. I was going to do his hardship measurement anyway, but wasn't sure I'd be able to justify paying $400 to get his R papers....of course that was before I knew how valuable those R papers are...
default_laugh.png
...so now if he does measure in I will hardship him in right away. At $200 it is worth it to me. And if it turns out that he measures a 1/2" over, oh well, I did buy him to be a pony and his ASPC papers are what I value the most.

Was just thinking while I was cleaning the barn tonight--didn't a few people comment earlier on that they wish AMHA would reduce their hardship fees as well, because that would be good business for AMHA? I'll have to go back and check that. In any case, I guess everyone has their own idea of what makes good business.

default_aktion033.gif
Amy, and if you find a way to shrink any of your ponies like your mare that won Liberty......oooo, let me know! Love those high steppers.

I have never really tried for AMHR/ASPC ponies - as most all except for a few of my ponies are ASPC and 42+ ponies. But I do have two that I intend to hardship into AMHR this Spring, but the sale makes do difference - I planned to hardship them R anyway, sure can find something nice to do with the extra cash I will save now
default_smile.png

LaVerne, I can almost relate with you (almost)....it really does sting when I hear someone say they are "just" ASPC.....as the only "just" is that they are "just" a bit bigger. Which I like, and that is fine by me. But I guess it doesnt matter what you call them, they are what they are no matter the national title, no matter if its a HOF Superior Sire or HOF Superior Dam or AMHR or AMHA or ASPC or AMHR/ASPC or AMHA/AMHR or AMHA/AMHR/ASPC or ASPR/AHHS...if its a good horse and bred right, its still a darn good horse..(pony)...Titles and Papers don't change the horse, just the value.

I think this can bring nothing but good in the long run - now those extra ponies with two sets up papers will have foals with two sets of papers (when bred right) and that down the road will continue to bring in more $$$$ to AMHR/ASPC as time goes on when it comes to registering the DBL reg foals from this cross, transfers, updates ext times TWO for the double reg animals. Financial security is never a bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary Lou I have to agree with you. In the past I disliked the way AMHR was going towards the Shetland look. I had also thought oh this is just another selling point to make Shetlands more popular. Has it worked I’m sure it has. Everyone can say breed for what you want but now I strictly show, I no longer breed, my horses do not have the Shetland look but the style of miniatures back when I first started showing, which was in 2003. Now my horses aren’t the look, I have stopped breeding, sold all my broodmares, and just have my 3 geldings and I enjoy and show. I was really considering switching to AMHA. I got my membership, I was going to plan on hardshipping my 2 geldings to AMHA this year when my one turned 3. But then I took a step back and opened my eyes.

I enjoy my horses, I enjoy showing with the people in the club, and AMHR is membership friendly. Some may disagree, but that’s JMO. AMHR created the Western class, which we needed because the driving classes were all over the place, because of the Shetlands huge movement that has been brought into the registry. If it wasn’t for Western I probably would have thrown in the towel. This class is huge and I think really has brought people back into the show ring with their horses. Now why we can’t do the same in halter? The AR State Fair had draft type which was the biggest halter class of that show, if not the biggest class period. The smallest horse won the class, he was the correct type, but it was awesome due to the fact that usually the biggest horse wins in a height halter class. Like someone mentioned perhaps we are too focus on height and should focus on type. Or offer a draft type halter class at Nationals I would love to see. There was a lot of interest for this class on this forum, many may not have agreed on the name but that could change. AMHR did something right when they added western I think they can do it again.

Lavern I like you idea, I really do, I just want a reason to have that seal. I did not realize the foundation division for the Shetlands wasn’t created but just 10 years ago. I didn’t get into showing minis til mid 2000s. If they can do that with the Shetlands I don’t see why the minis can’t create their own foundation division, I really think its something that needs to be created. People that don’t want to see the AMHR miniature to go needs to get together and come up with it. I honestly think base it on the foundation division for the Shetlands. I will be more then willing to help with it as I have stated in the past I have always wanted some type of division but had no ways of figuring out how to start it or no help was offered.

Has the Shetland influence helped the miniatures? Yes and no. I think the minis have certainly have come along way and I think the Shetlands have something to do with it. I personally have nothing against Shetlands, I think they are very beautiful, but I also see how many on here don’t want to see the AMHR miniatures go away. I was definitely one of them, I have lightened up on it but I know where they are coming from, I thinking adding AMHR Foundation Miniature division would help keep breeders involved. I see so many ads people selling AMHR, AMHR/AMHA horses because they are changing their programs to AMHR/ASPC, everyone is free to choose what they want but at the same time it’s kind of sad.

This topic has certainly got off topic I think this sale was a great idea for AMHR, hope it brings in new members.

I have to respecfully disagree with your use of the word 'trend' towards the AMHR/ASPC ML. While they are more prevalent now, they have been winning quite a lot in AMHR shows since the early 90's. Michigans, Town and Country, JCs are just a few I can think of that have been breeding National Grand Champion AMHR/ASPC horses for a long time. I don't think the AMHR/ASPC horses are going anywhere and I don't see the 'trend' going anywhere for a long time. I did notice that this year there more in the 'A' division at nationals which I love. Some breeders are still utilizing the best horses they can while still trying to breed them smaller. The best part is that the majority still had the love proportions I like about the shetlands. I think once AMHA closes its books we are going to see a lot more separation of the registries. If AMHR closes its books its going to be bad for those that have only AMHA registered horses. We all know how unpredictable the mini's heights are. I've got a 28.75" mare that produces 33"-34" foals consistently no matter what stallion bred to, including my 29" boy. Foals that will mature taller will be very hard to sell and anything that goes over will have no chance at papers at all. Rough stuff.

In the many years involved in Miniature Horses, the style what a Miniature Horse is has changed.. From the well built/squared Quarter horse style winning in the ring to the now ultra refined with action style.. Many people have given up on following the latest trend of what a Miniature horse is.. and today it is the ASPC/AMHR registered ones.. I wonder what it will be in a few years from now as the popular trend in winning Miniature horses??

I also wonder if people that like the "straight" Miniatures should get more involved in AMHA.. as I think it would be difficult to have a TOTAL under 34" breeding program TODAY with ASPC horses added to the bloodlines..

Just my thoughts..
I've shown my under 34" horses in AMHA and done well.

Question is: What about the over, say 35" straight minis without any recent ASPC blood, how do we market them, or show them? They may do well locally at shows but can't compete in halter at the National Level against the ASPC/AMHR horses. It would be nice if those of us that enjoy showing could afford to add ASPC to our breeding program, but many of us are struggling just to keep our guys feed and vetted. I asked at the National Show in 2005 if there was someway we could add a class or two for the straight up mini and was told AMHR was a pony registry first. Now of course I was asking other exhibitors so maybe I didn't follow protacol. Any advice you can offer is highly appreciated. I know this is off topic, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diane,

I understand what you are saying for sure.

I have ALWAYS supported both AMHA and AMHR also! And I have hardshipped into both also!

I'm always happy to hear they are making something mroe affordable for us in EITHER registry!

Susan O.

LaVern - write that proposal, book your tickets for the convention....and go rub elbows with lots of others who share your passion, as well as those who need some convincing. That's the only way to make change.

My mare is only WCMHR but her sire was AMHR as well. She is only 2 next year but IF she were 3 would I be able to hardship her AMHR?

Your mare is not eligible for AMHR hardshipping--WCMHR papers do not qualify a horse for hardshipping.

Her sire is AMHR--if her mother were also AMHR registered then she could be registered the normal way, without hardshipping, if you could get the correct paperwork completed.

Thats kind of what I thought. Thanks. I knew WCHMR didn't mean much when I bought her but I was just looking for a pet to pull a cart so doesn't really matter to me
default_smile.png
not planning on breeding her or anything. I was just curious. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back