Halter Training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jandy

Reaction score
Hi All

I think I need to turn back the clock? I have just read an article that suggests best halter training time is at just a couple of months old. Abbey, our first foal, is now 4 months old. I have been into the paddock daily for a couple of weeks with the halter. She is ever so friendly and runs up to great you before you even get through the gate, playing with the humans is her best game of the day. So I have been letting her play with the halter a bit and rubbing it over her back and neck so she isn't frightened of it, and she has let me put it over her nose - but try and buckle it up and she backs out real fast. There have even been a few nips and the occasion rearing just to make sure I know this isn't fun anymore.

SO... words of wisdom and tips on training please. (and maybe the best way to stop the nips)

2nd question of the day is, at what age does a foal need a first hoof trim? I am guessing success in haltering need to probably come first.

First foal trim is when they need it... some need them within days of birth, some can be on a typical adult schedule. Mini foals often need them sooner as they are so lightweight they don't readily wear them down themself.

I plan to halter my foal as soon as possible. I know it's only wee but I can't be bothered with fighting so if it's used to it asap it can only be a good thing. I will be doing a show with it so it needs to be halter trained and walking pretty sharp.

As for trim, just whenever you think it's needed. Each one is an individual. Don't let them get too long cause it can effect their tendons and growth.

I always haltered when they were in the stall with momma within a few days of birth, and made it a routine, that a halter was put on while I was working with them. Just a few minutes at a time, but it became the "norm" when I was feeding, or grooming, etc. But remember, you can't leave a foal unattended while wearing a halter. They can get hurt in a split second -- hung up, or a leg caught when they try to figure out what it is by pawing at it. So just the routine of having you work with them and place the halter for only a few minutes, on and off, on and off, is good training. Then comes the practice with leading them short distances -- made much easier if you're having baby follow momma as momma is being led somewhere. Like leading from a stall to a pasture area. On goes the halter until you get to the pasture, then the halter comes off and baby scampers away. Then I also do "standing" training with baby tied while I walk away, to learn to stand quietly when tied. That can sometimes be a challenge at first, but they are usually quick to learn.

But I think Anna is one who waits, and has no problems. I hope she'll see this and remind us of how she handles it. She has marvelous training with her little ones.

Thanks all, she really is fighting this halter thing - she is happy to play with it, put it over her nose but any attempt to fasten it she nips and / or rears.

I think we have let her have her own way for too long......... being our first foal I am sure it is the humans fault for spoiling her,
default_nono.gif
rather than her being exceptionally naughty

Guess we are learning the hard way - but watch out #2, we will be experts then (yea! right!)

ANNA are you out there for expert older foal advice
default_saludando.gif

My next fun task is that this little one has decided to nip is the next fun game

You can halter train at any time. It's a little easier if you do it as a routine from day one, but then again I've gone much longer before some of ours have worn one.

Training them with the halter is the same as any other horse training. There are lots of articles, books & DVDs on raising/handling/training a foal - they all apply to minis as easily as to a big horse.

For nipping - lots of ways to discourage it. At this age, bringing up a knee or elbow so that she "runs into it" on her own would be best. Pulling her muzzle hair - take hold as she "zeros in" to nip and pull. HARD. let go when she jerks back. Just plain giving her something else to do works as well.

Are her dam and her little self your only horses? If not, is her dam the "alpha mare" or "alpha" horse in the pasture during turn out with others? IF so, her foal will be as well and that can also determine how you work with her. You need to become the "boss mare" or the "alpha" and she needs to understand that. Pinned ears and nipping can/do happen during the stage while she's not accepting/following your leadership.

Halter training and taking her out for "walk-abouts" can get her interested in her environment and end a lot of the nipping as well. Also known as "school" or "a job"...
default_smile.png

Thanks Paula

Yes, Crystal (Dam) and Abbey are our only 2 horses. Crystal is a totally laid back, easy going mare and has allowed both my husband and I to interact with her foal from birth. In fact when we noticed Crystal was birthing I went to the paddock gate and Crystal ran right over and lay at my feet. On day 2 we would take them from barn to paddock and Crystal would leave us to "babysit" while she went about grazing. This constant interaction I think has led to Abbey believing she is boss of us. (no spoilt foals here) So, good advice, time to take back the reigns.

I have been walking away and not interacting when she nips. She doesn't like the loss of attention, but come back and she pulls on your clothing. Today I gave a tug on her muzzle hair. Boy did I get an evil glare! then a butt pointed my way. I walked around front - she just stood and stared, in a state of shock I think.

Latest posts

Back