Halter Class help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandi

Reaction score
When you set up your horse where is the "right" foot placement. On the AMHA website it stated that streched horses will be severely penilized. All of the mini's I have seen in halter look streched to me with the back legs far back, fronts under the shoulder and neck streched out. Is this correct or are they suppose to be more square without a streched neck? Or square with a streched neck? I want to show my girl in halter and was starting to work with her on parking out, but I think I might be doing it wrong now. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Mandi

Don't Park out! That is bad!

AMHA shows square.

AMHR shows a little more stretched.

Here is my mare showing AMHR halter - She is stretched not parked.

n583241100_2223771_6541.jpg

n583241100_2223770_6172.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion only. Front legs should be perpendicular to the ground. For the hind legs, the back of the hock should be perpendicular to the ground. The neck should be stretched to show off it's length and thinness of the throat latch. Ears should be pricked. Make sure your horse isn't stretched so far forward with the neck that the front legs rock under the body. Most trainers stretch the neck forward and up and periodically 'rock' the horse back to keep those front legs correct. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the clarification and the pictures. The would be shown in AMHR so I guess she would be more streched out than square. From what the AMHA stated I thought it was going to be more quarter horse looking as the end product. Is there a place that states the rules for halther with the AMHR. As you can probably tell, I am more used to saddlbreds parking out.
default_smile.png

From page 251 of the AMHR rulebook, available online at www.shetlandminiature.com:

"The Miniature Horse is to be shown to its best advantage. It is preferred that the horse stand square.

The Judge at his or her discretion may ask to have the horse stand square, which means all four feet are flat

on the ground and at least one front and one rear cannon bone perpendicular to the ground."

So "square" in AMHR does not actually mean "all four legs set evenly like a QH," but rather that the horse is not standing with one hind toe pointed and not parked out like a Saddlebred either. And it isn't even required, but only "preferred!"
default_unsure.png
So I guess it really is up to the exhibitor.

Leia

Here's an exceptable pose for AMHR as well as AMHA. I'd like him to use his neck muscles just a bit more but other than that this is good.

2006Awesome-cropped2aAw.jpg

Latest posts

Back