Help?! Is he greying or will he turn darker??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The head is giving me a very strong palomino going grey vibe. It can be really hard to tell with paler colors that are going grey. Doesn't seem quite the right tone for silver buckskin, but that could change with better nutrition on board, might look a whole new color come spring and new summer coat.

Very pretty guy! He actually gives me a strong silver buckskin vibe. The dark legs and dark ear rims aren’t things you’ll find a on a palomino. It’ll be interesting to see how he looks after being in your care longer.

Thank you! Really?! That’s interesting! Is that more rare?

The head is giving me a very strong palomino going grey vibe. It can be really hard to tell with paler colors that are going grey. Doesn't seem quite the right tone for silver buckskin, but that could change with better nutrition on board, might look a whole new color come spring and new summer coat.

Interesting, I looked up silver buckskin too and he seems more gold than anything. I’m new to the supplemental feeding thing for minis, as I’m more used to big horses, but I never really had to give them anything besides a salt block and their grass or hay so what would you suggest feeding him?

Last edited:
Congratulations on your little mare, too. Blue eye looks so pretty with black ....can't wait for pictures :D

It's nice she's older so you can do more with her...and you get to raise a baby too!

Thank you! I’m super excited to get them! You mean I get to raise the 2 year old when you say baby? Lol sorry 😂

I agree with Chanda on the darker lower legs and face. Maybe a dunalino, with possible grey? I can't see his back from the pictures, does he have a stripe along his topline?

As to the supplements question, they're horses. I'd start him on what worked with your biggie. Just do the math to scale it down to the right amount for the minis. If you haven't already got one, a digital kitchen scale is a mini owner's best friend! 😁

How exciting on your two new friends. I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of your mare.

Oh, p.s....your rescue may require you to sign a "no breeding" contract with your adoption contract. Most reputable rescues highly discourage breeding. Overpopulation and contributing to why horses (or any animals) need rescues.

Edited to correct spelling.

I agree with Chanda on the darker lower legs and face. Maybe a dunalino, with possible grey? I can't see his back from the pictures, does he have a stripe along his topline?

As to the supplements question, they're horses. I'd start him on what worked with your biggie. Just do the math to scale it down to the right amount for the minis. If you haven't already got one, a digital kitchen scale is a mini owner's best friend! 😁

How exciting on your two new friends. I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of your mare.

Oh, p.s....your rescue may require you to sign a "no breeding" contract with your adoption contract. Most reputable rescues highly discourage breeding. Overpopulation and contributing to why horses (or any animals) need rescues.

Edited to correct spelling.

He doesn’t have a dorsal stripe no. I didn’t do much for the big horses except the grass and hay. Yeah I’m thinking so, I was hoping to breed once but it’s fine if I can’t cause in the future I probably will with a non rescue mare :)

No forage is complete and balanced, and mineral blocks at 95% or more salt, so provide little minerals other than salt. For easy keepers I use either a ration balancer or a vitamin mineral supplement daily (I've been using vit/min supplement, as I have two young mares with soy-sensitivity, and most ration balancers are soy-based, so just easier to put them all on the vit/min supplement with little or no soy in it). Manna Pro Sho-Glo is a decent vitamin/mineral supplement to compliment most grass hays, and it's pelleted so fairly easy to get them to eat compared to powder or granular supplements. Growing youngsters usually need more nutrients than adults, so I've been using Triple Crown Senior as my carrier for the vit/min supplement, don't let the name fool you, it's a quality, easy to digest, fiber based complete feed with low carb level. (It does have soy, so I did take those two young mares off of it; but my other yearling, and 3 mares that need to gain weight are doing just fine on it). [My two mares are witchy while on soy, and much calmer when not on it; although, the older of the two is a bit crankier regardless. They are full-sisters.]

No forage is complete and balanced, and mineral blocks at 95% or more salt, so provide little minerals other than salt. For easy keepers I use either a ration balancer or a vitamin mineral supplement daily (I've been using vit/min supplement, as I have two young mares with soy-sensitivity, and most ration balancers are soy-based, so just easier to put them all on the vit/min supplement with little or no soy in it). Manna Pro Sho-Glo is a decent vitamin/mineral supplement to compliment most grass hays, and it's pelleted so fairly easy to get them to eat compared to powder or granular supplements. Growing youngsters usually need more nutrients than adults, so I've been using Triple Crown Senior as my carrier for the vit/min supplement, don't let the name fool you, it's a quality, easy to digest, fiber based complete feed with low carb level. (It does have soy, so I did take those two young mares off of it; but my other yearling, and 3 mares that need to gain weight are doing just fine on it). [My two mares are witchy while on soy, and much calmer when not on it; although, the older of the two is a bit crankier regardless. They are full-sisters.]

Interesting, I’ll keep that in mind! I was feeding my senior horse Step 4 Complete pellet, as he needed to build up muscle and topline as well so I was considering starting Arrow on that.

I have a farm full of rescues and a couple babies they brought along with them. They get some hay, 1/4-1/2 cup hay extender pellets and a 1/4 scoop of equine diet(vit/min). The pregnant ones get purina maternity instead of the hay extender pellets until the foal is about 6 months. They all come around and do great on that. These little guys need much less than the big horses unless they are in really hard work. Each is different but I start there and change only if needed. You could put him on a feed with more protein but try to keep the NSC low, most senior feeds are good for that.

Last edited:
I have a farm full of rescues and a couple babies they brought along with them. They get some hay, 1/4-1/2 cup hay extender pellets and a 1/4 scoop of equine diet(vit/min). The pregnant ones get purina maternity instead of the hay extender pellets until the foal is about 6 months. They all come around and do great on that. These little guys need much less than the big horses unless they are in really hard work. Each is different but I start there and change only if needed. You could put him on a feed with more protein but try to keep the NSC low, most senior feeds are good for that.

Gotcha. I had my big horse on Complete Pellet from StepRight (he was a senior at 22 but it worked for him, so that’s where I was thinking of starting as it really improved his topline, in conjunction with the exercises I did with him :) do you think that’s a good place to start?

Gotcha. I had my big horse on Complete Pellet from StepRight (he was a senior at 22 but it worked for him, so that’s where I was thinking of starting as it really improved his topline, in conjunction with the exercises I did with him :) do you think that’s a good place to start?
I'd give it a try. Start with only a 1/4 cup for at least a month, you can always increase after that if you need to but that will give you time to see what it does for him.

I'd give it a try. Start with only a 1/4 cup for at least a month, you can always increase after that if you need to but that will give you time to see what it does for him.

Yeah I think that’s a good idea. The other mini is needing some muscle too, and actually my two current minis need to build some muscle, I’m thinking of maybe using it for all of them?

Thank you so much! I love his little head too, sort of looks like an Arab a little bit. I fell in love with his personality, as the other ones were more nervous and this guy was super friendly and was following me everywhere! 🥺 Secret…I did actually adopt two, the other one is a 5 year old black mare that was more shy, but after spending more time with them she got more curious and came up for pets. She‘s solid black with one blue eye 😉 super cute. I’ll post a photo later on when they get dropped off.

I tried to edit the original post but for some reason I can’t. Anyway I found a decent photo of the black mare, I know y’all have really wanted to see her so here she is!! They haven’t been dropped off yet, hopefully next week though!11E3E082-0F4F-4D48-BEF6-E9F7D2AE2D27.jpeg

Latest posts

Back