Had a great time at the KMHC Fun Show!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoeboxstables

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Last weekend we attened the Keystone Miniature Horse Club annual Fall Fun Show. It was cold as heck, but we had a ton of fun!!! It's cool- because the spring and fall fun shows are like 'bookends' for the show season- and the improvemets we've made between them have been AWESOME!!

For this show I even convinced my mom to show Diva!!! This was a big deal- because my mom's been to almost every horse show for the last 5 or so years- and this is the first time she's shown! I spent the entire night before verbally coaching her on the classes, and she picked it up very well! Even without any real practice, they looked GREAT in their classes.

mandiv.jpg

She was nervous going into the first class of the day, which was open showmanship (can you tell in the pic :DOH! ). But despite mom's nerves, Diva was great! She fell asleep in the line up, set up herself automatically, and looked awake when the judge walked by (we all knew otherwise though- my Diva is NOT a morning mare!!!!). Mom remembered everything, and Diva even pivoted for her! They looked great, but boy was my mom shocked when they announced her name.... for first place..... out of ten!!!!! And she was up against both kids and adults that show ALL the time- one girl even had a jacket from QH Congress showmanship!! So mom was THRILLED!

Then came youth showmanship, and I was determined to win. It was a class of thirteen, and some of the other horses were a lot less chubby than my girl :DOH! . But again, Diva was fantastic. When the results were announced.... Diva and I had won!
default_biggrin.png
We did what we had hoped for.

And the day just kept getting better!

Mom and Div got the gate in open mares, but that was to be expected in a class of 14- my Diva isn't a halter horse, and we know it
default_wink.png
Plus my mom really wasn't sure what to do, and Diva didn't give her anything to work with
default_wacko.png

But then in Youth Halter Mares, Diva actually perked up for me. She has NEVER shown that well in halter! She didn't give me her ears...
default_no.gif
but you can't have everything, right
default_biggrin.png
? But she showed well enough- because for the first time EVER- we walked out with FIRST OUT OF SIX in a HALTER class!!! And we actually deserved it!!!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Then we got the gate in solid color mares, but no big deal. There were about 12, and with grays- ya either love 'em or hate 'em!

Then came driving. Mom has never really driven, so she didn't do any of those classes. While we were worrming up, Diva was explosive!! She really loves driving there- the arena is PERFECT (besides the temperature!), it's not deep, it's springy, soft, and firm. When we got in the class, first direction was great. She had a good, solid trot, and extended beautifully! It took a bit of urging to get her trot started second direction, but again extended perfectly! We came in first again out of four
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

In youth driving barrels, Diva was strong and consistant, but just not quite fast enough. So we got second out of three. Not bad though! Nice, even turns almost instantly when I asked, and great spacing with regards to the 'barrels'. I really couldn't ask for anything more from her.

But in youth pole bending, she gave me even more. It really was the physical representation of how incrediably far we've come as a team this year. Trotting up to the line, she gave me a snappy little jog, and didn't even come close to falling out. When we got to the starting line, she kicked it up, and stayed solid, and was up in the bridle for the approach. She NEVER wavered, and didn't wiggle between the shafts as we approched the poles. Her turns were AMAZING. She was so quick to respond, and kept up her pace. At one point, I overshot a turn, but she was perfect; she knew her job. She slammed on the breaks, and did a BEAUTIFUL pivot, and made it right in between the poles that I almost made her miss. At the end of the line, she pulled an awesome turn, and we headed home. The extension- was out of this world. I have NEVER felt that mare move like that before. And I knew she wouldn't break. We were flying. It was teamwork like nothing else. And yes- we won. What a feeling.

Then came youth driving obstacle. She was just about perfect- and we won. This class is probably her favorite- and boy how far she's come. When I got her two years ago- she was afraid of EVERYTHING! And would bolt too. Now, she'll canter over tarps, be attacked by shopping bags, back through zig zags, and pivot on a dime. The only thing that has ever gotten to her in the past year was my uncle's little jack russel, that chased her barking while we were driving. But she didn't bolt- she just got bouncy
default_biggrin.png
!

After that, was adult and youth halter obstacle. The classes were HUGE, and mom came out 5th out of 20+!!!! And I got 2nd out of 20+!! (Silly horse was great for me- but for some reason balked at the ground poles we had to trot over :DOH! duhhh! Don't know why.. but what ever
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Mom went on to win a crazy open egg and spoon (out of 23), and I got fourth in musical sacks (out of 23).

All in all- it was a great show. Looking back on the spring fun show- we've come so far. The results weren't shabby in the spring, almost all top 3, but our performance has changed so much. This show season has been a real journey for us, and we've improved SO much. We had a blast at the show- and kicked butt.

My Diva and I have come so far as a team. I finally have my 'push button' 'do-all' horse. The mare that falls asleep in my lap between classes. The mare that never falters, never has to be told twice, and never stops trying. And the coolest thing is that I shaped her to be this way. She's come from a horse that couldn't walk on a halter to a horse that wins in just about everything. She's my best horsey friend, and fantastic to work with.

The sence of accomplishment is just amazing; this show just cemented it. So thanks for taking the time to read all this- it means a ton to us
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

div-1.jpg

Congratulations!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I loved reading every bit of it. You should be so proud of your accomplishments!

I love your attitude and glad you had fun doing it.
default_aktion033.gif

default_thumbup.gif
That was some pretty nice reading congradulations on all your work and the results you racked up with your girl...and your mom l bet your pretty proud of her to huh...
default_biggrin.png

Congrats!! Sounds like you and your mom and of course Diva should be very proud
default_smile.png

Oh, how wonderful! I loved reading the play-by-play of your pole-bending class, it made me feel like I was in the driver's seat. I still haven't posted the writeup of my last event yet and I'm going to sound like an echo coming after some of these posts like yours.
default_biggrin.png
All of us have come so far this year and are so proud of our horses! Ain't it great?!
default_aktion033.gif

I sure wish I had a show with a class list like that. Most of those sound like FAR more fun than your typical rail classes! I wanna try barrel racing in my Hyperbike....
default_wink.png

Again, great job.

Leia

What a wonderful replay of your wonderful day!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I just felt your joyfulness as I read your story.Congratualtions to both you and your mom and of course your little gray Diva. Mary

Congrats!!! You did awesome and it sounds like a lot of fun!!! Wish we had time at shows for some of the classes you described.

I know exactly how you feel...about having a horse comeing so far (from being scared of everything to being scared of nothing) and becoming such a great team. Thats exactly how my gelding was and what we became. Thats just another reason I enjoyed reading your post so much.

And kodos to your mom for getting out there and kickin' hiney!

Thank you so much everyone
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
I am so proud of that little mare, and mom too! I really appreciate all the kind words
default_wub.png
. And Diva does too! (Or maybe it was just the extra carrot....
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Again,

THANKS everyone
default_yes.gif

Oh how good it was to read this story...What a great way to end the show season
default_smile.png
CONGRATS to both of you :D Its always nice to see how far you have come. I do that all the time and I have to say WOW my mare I know for fact isnt the same horse...

CONGRATS once again to you both and Diva too!!!

Oh how wonderful! Sounds like it was a great day. KMHC is a nice group of people( I belong to the club but haven';t been real active for about 2 years.) I bet they had great food for lunch! I used to be in charge of the lunch buffet and we had a great one.

Its a nice family club and not cut throat. Everyone cheers for every one else.

Robin

Hi there, I was the lady next to you with the little palomino stud and the bald face filly. I NEED YOUR MOM"S RECIPE FOR THAT CINNOMIN CAKE BREAD!!!!!!! It was so GOOD!!!

It was lots of fun, such a shame it ran over, I was lookining forward to the jumping classes, I was actually ready to have my guy go over the jumps by himself this time (unlike the spring show LOL).

It was nice meeting you, Hope to see you in the spring,

Carolyn

Thanks guys!!!
default_biggrin.png

Carolyn- It was great meeting you too!! And I will DEFINATLY have my mom get the recipe together for you! It was good!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back