Greencastle?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
Anyone going? I hear they have 200 minis and @30 donkeys
default_smile.png
My hubby decided not to go hunting so I am hoping to sneak out in the morning before our soccer game at 3...

Have you ever been? This would be my first and I was wondering how it is run etc....

This usually a very long sale and in the past they have sold the donkeys first. As with any sale it is buyer beware as there will be some perfectly fine horses and than others that are breeding problems, non-breeders, etc. Good luck !

I try to go to each sale. Yes, buyer absolutely beware at any auction. But.....they do have some very nice horses from reputable breeders there too. I love going!! I bought both my stallions from past Greencastle sales....Heritage Buckeroo Spirit (33" silver buckskin) who is double bred Buckeroo and Poes Petite Pretender (31" black pinto) who's first foals will be arriving in 2007. I have seen some lovely horses go through this sale. The only complaint I have about the sale is that there is never enough seating. Folks who take their for sale horses to the sale on Friday end up reserving a majority of the seats. Lots of people end up standing at the rails or sitting on the concrete steps. It can make for a very long day if you don't have a seat!!
default_yes.gif
: It's worth going to the sale just to see so many minis in one place. It's fun!!

Joe e-mailed today. There are 202 horses consigned and 23 donkeys.

Yes, I agree, there are many things to look out for at any auction. If you do buy, be sure to keep the horse(s) away from all others for a month or so. We`ve been there several times. One year, we looked around and left within an hour, just nothing there worth seeing. At another auction, there were horses there with strangles!! YIKES. but some years, you can find some nice healthy horses at auctions. Just be careful, especially if buying an adult. I am going this year. I will look around and then decide if it is worth staying. I DO enjoy seeing & meeting other breeders. I also like to pick up some new halters etc.
default_yes.gif
:

If you are there, look for me. I`m short, have greying, curly hair and will be with a lady with redish hair, in a braid! I think I will be wearing a light pink sweatshirt. Maybe a coat too, with this cold weather.

I have heard that there will be a real nice Buckeroo bred stallion at this sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going for my first time, but I will have the pleasure of helping Honeysuckle Knoll with their group of horses, nice babies too. But to tell you the truth, Buckeroo breeding doesn't get you much at these kinds of sales, just look at Mt Airy where you could have gotten a Buckeroo son, not just the breeding but a son, for $1400. And I had to geld my Buckeroo grandson and got a very small fraction of what we paid for him when I sold him. So don't expect a "name" to bring you a high price, they just don't in the real world.

minimom ~ That will be a long trip. Will you come up Friday night? Have a safe trip. I will look for you there.

The prices are rather low at Joe`s ~ There is a lot of junk horses there though too. He has SO many horses but I have seen horses with better pedigrees and better quality, bring, higher prices.

I hope people only clip heads and necks (if anything) It is too cold here this time of year to buy a clipped horse. I saw a horse a few years ago that I would have bid on but --- she was clipped down, shivering & I knew I didn`t want to deal with a freezing horse all winter. Many of mine already have 3+" of winter coat. It gets pretty cold in PA.
default_yes.gif
:

I'm thinking about going to look for a used cart, but can't find anything on the web with a specific address or directions. Can somebody please post what you do after taking Exit 5 off of I-81 North? Thanks so much.

The sale is just off the exit, (5) on Rt 16 East. You will see the building as soon as you turn, with many trucks & trailers. You won`t miss it! Building is on the right.

Hi,

Sale barn is next to Arby's. But do not park at Arby's. Couple years ago they were chasing cars out of the parking lot.

We are planning to go. No trailer. Have just enough room in the barn for winter. There are a few really nice horses there and also some real junk. Several dealers will have a bunch.They will not look like much as they have been picked up from the weekly sale barns. Couple years ago we saw a real nice Sids Rebel son sell for about $1500. That year there were a few buyers that went nuts over Appy's. They were not very correct, but they brought good money from people who had no clue what they were doing.

We are hoping to pick up a bunch of tack.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy all!!

I plan on going to. I bought my first mini there in 2001. Sometimes you can find some good ones there but you really have to look and know who some of the breeders are that are there selling. I'd like to buy but not enough room or money right now to do so. Good luck to all those who are buying and are selling.

Becky McMath

We are heading down to the sale Friday am. Picking up our oldest son from college on the way. I think he will get bored quickly there but we asked if he wanted to go for the weekend and he said yes. I think he is going for the free meals on us during the trip? So if you see a bored to death college student following his parents then you found us.

Mark

Back