Great News! Horses are on Sale!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now, about the only things NOT on sale are gas, food, and precious metals
default_laugh.png
It's a great time to buy many things, including a nice new horse (or two)
default_biggrin.png

Is there money to be made right now? Probably not, but there is FUN to be had!!

Dr Taylor
Agreed! I went into this with the intent to have fun, and eight years later, I'm still having fun.
default_smile.png
I've tried a little of this (showing) and a little of that (breeding and foaling) and am continuing with what I'm comfortable with (community service).
default_yes.gif

I do agree that it’s a great time to buy some really good horses for very reasonable prices.

Unfortunately with gas prices climbing steadily, shipping can often cost much more than some people can afford to pay on top of the horse’s purchase price.

These days if you are shopping in the $2000+ price range, you have a lot of horses to choose from—many of them of excellent quality. For that matter you can find excellent quality for less than $2000—so the higher the price the harder you may have to work to sell your horse for that price. Buyers can be selective without paying big prices. Trends change; lines that were very popular 10 years ago may be less in demand now—some people still want those lines, but many others have moved on to something different. As well, some people get hung up on keeping their prices up to the level of what they paid for their stock—but prices have overall dropped in the past few years. Sure, a good horse will always sell, but that good horse today may look rather different than the good horse of 10 or even 5 or 3 years ago, the price of that good horse today is likely to be somewhat lower than the price of that good horse 3 or 5 or 10 years ago. Some breeders can continue to ride on the coattails of their own past success, but newer breeders may not have the same standing as those they try to emulate.

Buyers do need to remember—if they are now able to buy horses that they would never have been able to afford 5 or 10 years ago, that should tell them something about the market. They shouldn’t count on buying at bargain prices and then selling foals for higher prices. Nice concept, but that’s not usually how it works. Sometimes—and I’ve seen this happen more than once—an established breeder sells to a newcomer, and newcomer pays top dollar thinking that they will be able to sell their foals for a similar price. When that newcomer tries to market his foals, he is disappointed because people won’t pay him those kinds of prices. He doesn’t have the established reputation, he may not have the salesmanship skills, he doesn’t have the contacts, he may not have the quality he thought he saw when he was buying his horses. Sometimes he lives in an out of the way location where shipping arrangements are difficult or costly to make. Buyers pass him over to buy from a more easily accessible breeder. Newcomer is soon very discouraged and eventually gives up.

As well, I have to say that trying to compare horse prices to dog prices seems rather pointless. As we all know, Miniature horses are not dogs, nor are they really anything like dogs. Dogs can be kept without any special facilities. You can often keep a dog even if you live in an apartment. Horses, even little ones, require something different. People who live in city/town houses or apartments cannot keep a horse unless they board it somewhere. Boarding = additional expenses. Keeping the horse at home requires special facilities since most horse owners do not keep their horse in the house! Nearly everyone on this board will tell a newbie that they must treat their little horse like a horse, not a dog, because treating your Mini like a dog generally results in a bad mannered Mini—so it’s not realistic to complain about people in general being willing to pay a lot more for their dog than for a horse (personally I will never pay much for a dog, but I know that I can’t expect everyone else to feel the same way I do about dogs and horses.)

If you’re buying for yourself, for the fun of it, this is a really great time to buy. If you’re looking to buy because you can buy low and figure you can make a nice profit by selling higher, you might want to give that a second thought.

Minis are starting to catch on as performance horses and gaining popularity in many new areas. The bonus is that they eat less, take up less space and there are so many things you can do with your minis above the "pocket pet" that so many people think they are only used for. I have so many people ask me "you have minis, so what do you do with them?" The more we do with our minis the better all around.

I now have three geldings, love my boys. I will probably never breed, I don't have the guts for it, especially after reading some of these most recent foal and mare tragedys on this forum this spring.
default_new_shocked.gif

Hats off to you breeders for sticking with it and for dedication and for all you do to bring us these sweet horses. Goodness knows there can't be many in it for the money.

Yep, horses are on sale and that can be a good thing for people like me that are looking for something already trained but are limited on funds. My driving boy came free with his harness when I purchased a cart thanks to a sweet person that wanted to get him a good home more than she wanted to make money. He and I are a team and it is great learning to drive with a "been there done that" horse.

Also for those that are cutting back in numbers due to the economy, I see that as opportunity for more training time for the ones you have. I know there are people out there that would pay more for a trained and finished horse.

Best wishes.

I definitely follow what Holly / Minimor is saying, but I do think the market will come back in time... Honestly, that's PART of the reason I've not offered our fillies the past several years. I just feel like they are worth more to me than what I think the market now will allow. Plus the little part about falling in love! For sure, horses will never be a "business" to me even though I'm very much a business woman in other regards
default_biggrin.png
So, who knows. Maybe I'm overly optimistic or maybe I'm just looking for a dollars and cents justification to do what I want to do anyway (plus, I've got some of my own plans for them)
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Taylor, Yep right on the money picked up 3 mares at the Double Diamond Sale last year that are really nice for a song, one mare gave us a black colt in Feb. This is the time to get good stock CHEAP.

I have heard many times lately about how horse prices are down and that is bad for the industry.

I think it is quite the opposite! I think it is an opportunity to have some fun!

Gas prices are too high to go to a show? Great news save the money on the purchase of the horse.

Grain prices too high? Ponies/minis don't eat much.

Running out of space? Ponies/minis don't take up much room.

Whether or not some one wants to breed I will leave to them as I know that's fun too, but consider; you could go to most sales/shows and buy the best one there that is exactly what you want pretty cheaply.

What you will spend to show ALL summer will be a fraction of what others will spend on a week on a cruise. Who had more fun?

Dr Taylor
Thats what I'm screamin
default_aktion033.gif

It's a difficult time to sell horses, no doubt about it. I recently advertised a stallion that a couple of years ago I had a dozen people wanting to buy...I just wasn't ready to sell him. Now I am ready. Advertised him, add gets over 100 hits, and not one single email. I was rather suprised. I have horses that I have advertised for sale as "Make me an offer", again, get a ton of hits...and not one single email. Offer me $100.00, I might take it.

I have professional pictures...doesn't make a difference, they don't sell first. Infact I don't sell any of my horses with professional photos anymore. Now, people hold it against you if you have professional photos...they think they are altered, misleading. Most of that is bogus. But that is a whole other topic that I won't get on my soap box about. Take my own photos and if you do a nice job, then they are just as bad as having pro photos, and they aren't good enough. I clip, groom, present beautifully and people want me to go take a picture of them standing in the mud puddles. If I sent them pictures of horses in mud puddles, they would want clipped photos. If you take baby pictures, a month later they want brand new photos. If you live in a climate where I do when you only get 2-3 nice months a year to do photos, it's hard. Now everyone wants videos. If you don't foal until June like I do, everyone has picked out their new purchases usually before my foals hit the ground.

I have come to the conclusion it just isn't worth it anymore. I am not enjoying it, I am going bankrupt trying to give away my horses. I spent thousands of dollars on some of the best, and now can't sell offspring for hundreds. Just doesn't make much business sense anymore. I am foaling out my last foal crop this year, and will be dispersing (or giving away) my horses. When I tell people this they say, no, you can't quite, your horses are beautiful, but yet those people never inquire about buying a horse. I know of breeders who are euthanizing their stud colts when they are born. But yet they keep breeding more and more mares. Maybe if everyone would take a year off we would all be in a better position in the long run. We are destroying ourselves. Supply and demand...but when I see farms that have 100 foals for sale, I just don't know why it suprises me that I don't any inquiries on my foals. Just my two cents, but this is America and people can do as they wish. For those that are still selling great horses for great prices, I commend you and I wish I knew your secret!!!

It's a difficult time to sell horses, no doubt about it. I recently advertised a stallion that a couple of years ago I had a dozen people wanting to buy...I just wasn't ready to sell him. Now I am ready. Advertised him, add gets over 100 hits, and not one single email. I was rather suprised. I have horses that I have advertised for sale as "Make me an offer", again, get a ton of hits...and not one single email. Offer me $100.00, I might take it.

I have professional pictures...doesn't make a difference, they don't sell first. Infact I don't sell any of my horses with professional photos anymore. Now, people hold it against you if you have professional photos...they think they are altered, misleading. Most of that is bogus. But that is a whole other topic that I won't get on my soap box about. Take my own photos and if you do a nice job, then they are just as bad as having pro photos, and they aren't good enough. I clip, groom, present beautifully and people want me to go take a picture of them standing in the mud puddles. If I sent them pictures of horses in mud puddles, they would want clipped photos. If you take baby pictures, a month later they want brand new photos. If you live in a climate where I do when you only get 2-3 nice months a year to do photos, it's hard. Now everyone wants videos. If you don't foal until June like I do, everyone has picked out their new purchases usually before my foals hit the ground.

I have come to the conclusion it just isn't worth it anymore. I am not enjoying it, I am going bankrupt trying to give away my horses. I spent thousands of dollars on some of the best, and now can't sell offspring for hundreds. Just doesn't make much business sense anymore. I am foaling out my last foal crop this year, and will be dispersing (or giving away) my horses. When I tell people this they say, no, you can't quite, your horses are beautiful, but yet those people never inquire about buying a horse. I know of breeders who are euthanizing their stud colts when they are born. But yet they keep breeding more and more mares. Maybe if everyone would take a year off we would all be in a better position in the long run. We are destroying ourselves. Supply and demand...but when I see farms that have 100 foals for sale, I just don't know why it suprises me that I don't any inquiries on my foals. Just my two cents, but this is America and people can do as they wish. For those that are still selling great horses for great prices, I commend you and I wish I knew your secret!!!
Your post makes me so sad. I am sorry that you are going through this but I must say that many others are in the same boat. Over the weekend, I took two calls from breeders who were almost giving away their mares and then today got another email that another farm in my state was dispersing.
default_sad.png
There is either too many minis or not enough money out there.

Low prices bother me A LOT. I have 4 and can not buy more. But that is not why low prices bother me. There is a man at the end of my street that is buying minis. He is buying all he can get. He has no care for breeding, registration, conformation or training. He bundles them all up and sends them to Mexico. He will pay up to $700 for a mini. I warn any person that is selling cheap to ask lots of questions. Ask to see where they are going to keep the horses. When I discovered he even had minis, he had 3 of them tied up short so they could not drop their heads at all. Not even to rest. When I mentioned to him that tying short was not a good idea, he said that they were OK they would be leaving for Mexico soon. He also asked me if I knew where he could buy any more minis.

Lots of very good points here and I do agree with everyone. I have kept up with the post but not had opportunity to reply before now so unable to go back through to reply individually to certain folks by name (so when I mention a few, I'm not leaving anyone out intentionally). But I will try to remember the thoughts that came to mind upon reading responses.

Minimor (yours was long like mine so I remember the name to address LOL) I hear what you're saying and not disagreeing. Perhaps my "dog" example didn't come across correctly. What I meant - outside of the additional costs and situation of owning a mini (compared to a dog) in my mind (such that it is during foaling season without sleep) minis are an exotic type pet - unlike a dog - not everyone can have a mini. I would myself expect to pay more for a miniature horse than I would a dog. My reference was that its the other way around in our local area. They think they can purchase a horse less than what they pay for dogs and to me, that's silly. I can't tell you how many times our entire family here has stopped all chores for hours to entertain and tour and educate those "lookers" and "petting zoo" people that have no intention to buy, they just want to see a mini. I try to tell my family that even so, they'll go to church and school and work and softball games and talk about their experience and maybe - just maybe - word of mouth brings a serious buyer. Nope, hasn't happend but my family obliges by being courteous and friendly to all visitors. What do we really want to do? Ask them up front when they call if they are "in the market to purchase" because if not "we're going to charge a fee per hour to come to our petting zoo". LOL

There were a few that mentioned auction purchases. Everyone expects (yes admit it) auctions to be cheaper than farm purchases. I had not even thought of auctions in my statement of selling as that's a given that auctions are low. I often feel sorry for the consignees to have to swallow their pride and let their horses go for some of what we see. That too hurts the market for the rest of us. Yes, I have purchased a couple excellent mares from auctions - reputable auctions from farms I know personally. On ocassion, we've been "no saled" only to go privately afterwards and negotiate on a price. I didn't have auctions in mind when I made my statement about how low must one go for "cheap sale" as I thought we were at a good starting point. I was referring to farm sales.

RiverRose (I know you personally and you're in my county so I remember your name) - I hear you and I completely understand and can identify with so much of what you are relaying. ASPC comes to mind from your post and couple others mentioned as well. We do have AMHR horses here also. Not singular AMHR over 34" but double registered AMHA/AMHR. I speak for everyone here (on my farm) that the "bandwagon" or "followers" will not come into play on this farm in this business. I don't foresee "being left behind" as I see that when everyone else jumps on that bandwagon ... to follow a fad .... those of us that aren't ASPC will have the corner market for those that do still want AMHA/AMHR. Nothing against ASPC mind you - not at all - but that's not what we got into registered miniatures for. And honestly, here we like 'em smaller the better. A very wise person in this business 30 years once said to me "you better like what you see when you look out into your pastures or all the work isn't worth it". Meaning don't buy the fads, buy what you like. There are lots of people out there that like different things - some even like the stocky thicker draft types that don't resemble so much arabian. Maybe not everyone wants to change over to ASPC - so they can continue to shop here for their AMHA or AMHR prospects. I may eat my words years down the road, but for the next few years we will not incorporate ASPC here. Is AMHA going away? What will happen to all the horses that are AMHA registered? They become grade horses because they are not ASPC? I don't know enough about all that to know the answers so hopefully someone will chime in and educate me.

Jill said it best when she said she purposely hasn't offered her fillies because of the market. We also hear things will come back around. Maybe not this summer with gas projected to $6/gallon but at some point. I know many folks cut back on things when the economy plunges but those that have a passion for boating and golf and vacations and harleys (gosh I miss that) and such will find a way just like the miniature owners that continue to travel cross country to show regardless of the economy. I haven't seen a bunch of ads from trainers saying they're slashing thier fees due to the economy yet people are still sending horses to trainers. I'll be interested to see if the shows suffer from participation due to the economy. If there's still monies available to pay trainers and travel cross country to spend huge amounts on showing - then why should the prices of the horses be expected to bring 500 to 1000 dollars to purchase? While our sales are not where I'd like them to be - we've got plenty of land and funds to wait it out.

Like a recent poster mentioned all they've tried to do in order to make a sale - we offer interest free payments and discounts and everything in between. We work with those that are seriously considering our stock. The one thing I cannot do for people is TRADE A MINI FOR A BIG HORSE and I get those all the time. And I just got another one of those last night.

Katiean yours just popped through on my blackberry so I'll add something in response to your post before I hit "submit". What you are describing is horrible but I'm afraid when people have their prices that low, anything is possible. So many people say a good home is the most important but at those prices how hard can you push for a good home? There are flippers and people like you mention out there that'll talk a good game to convince the seller but once they have your horse - they can do whatever they want with it unfortunately. Would someone really sell a horse for 500 bucks and then spend thousands to pursue legal action over someone flipping that horse? just a thought.....that's why we start our prices where we do.

Again Dr Taylor has a great post and he's right about it all. I just had the question of how cheap is cheap to entice someone.

Low prices bother me A LOT. I have 4 and can not buy more. But that is not why low prices bother me. There is a man at the end of my street that is buying minis. He is buying all he can get. He has no care for breeding, registration, conformation or training. He bundles them all up and sends them to Mexico. He will pay up to $700 for a mini. I warn any person that is selling cheap to ask lots of questions. Ask to see where they are going to keep the horses. When I discovered he even had minis, he had 3 of them tied up short so they could not drop their heads at all. Not even to rest. When I mentioned to him that tying short was not a good idea, he said that they were OK they would be leaving for Mexico soon. He also asked me if I knew where he could buy any more minis.
This breaks my heart! I can only speculate as to why he is sending them to Mexico. business wise there are large horse owners that will give horses away and even put them in your horse trailer without your knowlege at some of the auctions if it's not locked. Big horses would bring more money. Your advice is right on reasearch your buyers.

Back to the original post, we are going to just have some fun next weekend. We are taking two one arab type, one quarter type to an animal fair. We are also taking brochures about the different registries and hoping to promote our breed and have a good time to boot!

Ok, I may get in trouble for this, but something my dad told me long ago that I've kept at top of my mind ever since, that I think needs brought out. The amount of money you put into something - be it car, horse, home, etc. - DOES NOT DETERMINE ITS VALUE. Its value is completely determined by what someone is willing to pay. Sure, someone may be willing to pay more because of what you put into it, but I there is not a linear correlation in any way.

I continually hear "I have x dollars in this horse, but can't sell him for what he's worth." Or "the breeding fee alone was more than that". Ok, but maybe you just didn't get a great combination from that breeding. It happens. What you paid to buy, train, breed, keep, etc., doesn't make a bit of difference to a buyer. They are generally interested in what the horse is AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME. When I was breeding, I planned to sell some horses at a loss to get them off the feed bill, have that broke even, and have some that really were exceptional individuals that made up for the low ones. I guess I see so many people who think they should profit on every horse - that's just not reality, I don't believe.

Long and short - Value is completely determined by the purchaser and the market, and has (in most cases) almost no relation to the amount of money you have put into the horse.

I will say, my dad had another adage that in this economy has (for the first time) proven false. He used to say there is one sure way to sell a horse, sell it for less than you paid for it. I think that's not even a sure way to sell anymore.

Ok, I may get in trouble for this, but something my dad told me long ago that I've kept at top of my mind ever since, that I think needs brought out. The amount of money you put into something - be it car, horse, home, etc. - DOES NOT DETERMINE ITS VALUE. Its value is completely determined by what someone is willing to pay. Sure, someone may be willing to pay more because of what you put into it, but I there is not a linear correlation in any way.

I continually hear "I have x dollars in this horse, but can't sell him for what he's worth." Or "the breeding fee alone was more than that". Ok, but maybe you just didn't get a great combination from that breeding. It happens. What you paid to buy, train, breed, keep, etc., doesn't make a bit of difference to a buyer. They are generally interested in what the horse is AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME. When I was breeding, I planned to sell some horses at a loss to get them off the feed bill, have that broke even, and have some that really were exceptional individuals that made up for the low ones. I guess I see so many people who think they should profit on every horse - that's just not reality, I don't believe.

Long and short - Value is completely determined by the purchaser and the market, and has (in most cases) almost no relation to the amount of money you have put into the horse.

I will say, my dad had another adage that in this economy has (for the first time) proven false. He used to say there is one sure way to sell a horse, sell it for less than you paid for it. I think that's not even a sure way to sell anymore.
Your Father was wise. When I talk to clients about this I add, 'Would you sell a stock for $50 that you paid $100 for? They say, NO. I then add, how about $25 or $15 or $10, You know there are people who still own Enron.'

This is also why I say it should be FUN. The people that profit from the horse business are those that supply goods/services to it (Vet, farrier, feed guy, truck/trailer dealers), not the group that participates in it. If I don't like a movie, I walk out. If I'm unhappy with a meal, I don't leave a tip. If you are having an experience with a horse you aren't enjoying, then get rid of them at any price and go on hopefully to a better experience with another horse.

Dr. Taylor -- I so hope I can meet you some day! Your humor delights me, and just lifts my spirits! Thank you for your humor AND ALL THE HELP AND INFORMATION YOU SHARE WITH US! YOU'RE PRICELESS ON THIS BOARD!

Kind of you to say.

Dr Taylor

Dr. Taylor, I so love your humor, and I so respect your opinions, having worked for a vet for over twenty years and lost him due to a stroke you are my new mentor. But I do disagree with one thing you said in your last post. I talked to my feed supplier this past Monday and he says he is about to go under, high fuel, costs, etc. Of course my Vet is making money hand over fist. Maybe the problem here is the feed supplier offers credit and the vet doesn't. I'm not sure, but these are rough times as far as money goes and I'm sure you are right about it being a buyers market and having fun. I'll try to take advantage.

Dr. Taylor -- I so hope I can meet you some day! Your humor delights me, and just lifts my spirits! Thank you for your humor AND ALL THE HELP AND INFORMATION YOU SHARE WITH US! YOU'RE PRICELESS ON THIS BOARD!
I agree! Thank you, Dr. Taylor, for your posts! I love reading them and they are always insightful.

BTW, I pass by your farm whenever I travel the I-80 corridor on my way to and from Cleveland for work and always look for your ponies... it's usually the highlight of my trip! Heaven help the drivers behind me, since I slow down to under the speed limit trying to catch a glimpse of them!
default_biggrin.png

IMO, those who are euthanizing stud colts when they are born SHOULD NOT BE BREEDING. Period. WTH?? This sickens me. If there are so many horses that colts can't sell, then why are they breeding at all??? (preaching to the choir here I know, but OMG!)

I also take issue with shredding a horse's papers and sending it to auction. I may be in the minority, but I won't sell a horse at an auction; you can't control where that horse will be going or have any idea if it will be a good home or not. I've had a few horses that were for sale for a year or more, but it was well-worth the wait because the perfect home always comes along who really loves and appreciates that horse. IMO, a breeder should be able to care for the animals that they produce, regardless of whether those animals sell or not. If they aren't selling and the numbers are building up too much, STOP BREEDING! Don't just shove last year's animals out the door to make room for the next year's. It doesn't make sense financially and IMO is just plain wrong. These are living, breathing, feeling creatures.

I'm going out now to kiss the noses of my horses, especially the colts (who are almost all geldings now, and treasured for what they are).

Latest posts

Back