Great News! Horses are on Sale!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own two geldings and I board them out. Every single person in my barn comes and marvels over the minis. They are so popular with the big horse owners, it's insane. I could sell Eli tomorrow, if I wanted to. There are two different women in my barn who have asked a price on him. I really do wish we had our own place and weren't forking out a boatload of cash every month for board, even though they are small, we pay the same as everyone else does. That said, I am fortunate that I am able to give lessons and help owners work with their horses on my nights off from work and during the days when I'm out working my guys. It sure helps to offset the costs of boarding.

I get no break in fees because I have small horses. My vet bills are the same with the minis are they were with the big guys, and my farrier doesn't cut me any slack either. I purchase my own hay, grain, and supplements (because I'm picky). There is a bit of a price break with that, in that they don't consume as much as one of the bigs, so I don't have to fork out for the feed/supps as often.

Why, then, do I have small horses as opposed to the big ones? I LOVE them! They are so much more fun to do just about everything with. I've worked with many breeds, including those said to be 'the most intelligent breed' and I beg to differ. I have never had two horses catch on to things more quickly or be more willing to learn than Shake and Eli. They have HUGE hearts, great work ethics, and they are just so much fun to be around.

Thank goodness the economy isn't better! If it were, I'd be making more money and I'd own a dozen of them!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree! Thank you, Dr. Taylor, for your posts! I love reading them and they are always insightful.

BTW, I pass by your farm whenever I travel the I-80 corridor on my way to and from Cleveland for work and always look for your ponies... it's usually the highlight of my trip! Heaven help the drivers behind me, since I slow down to under the speed limit trying to catch a glimpse of them!
default_biggrin.png
I am glad folks have enjoyed my posts and thought they were helpful.

But, Mother would kill me if I didn't specify that the farm you can see from 80 isn't where Mom & Dad live. Their farm is much better kept and just around the corner. That farm is just where Dad keeps the broodmares.

If you were to call Dad in advance he would pick you up at the rest stop just east of the farm and show you ponies then return you to the rest stop and on your way.

Dr Taylor

Lots of very good points here and I do agree with everyone. I have kept up with the post but not had opportunity to reply before now so unable to go back through to reply individually to certain folks by name (so when I mention a few, I'm not leaving anyone out intentionally). But I will try to remember the thoughts that came to mind upon reading responses.

Katiean yours just popped through on my blackberry so I'll add something in response to your post before I hit "submit". What you are describing is horrible but I'm afraid when people have their prices that low, anything is possible. So many people say a good home is the most important but at those prices how hard can you push for a good home? There are flippers and people like you mention out there that'll talk a good game to convince the seller but once they have your horse - they can do whatever they want with it unfortunately. Would someone really sell a horse for 500 bucks and then spend thousands to pursue legal action over someone flipping that horse? just a thought.....that's why we start our prices where we do.

Again Dr Taylor has a great post and he's right about it all. I just had the question of how cheap is cheap to entice someone.
Unfortunately I was not talking about "flipping" a horse. I was referring to the "BIG GAME FARMS" minis get taken to. I know as long as I am alive none of my horses will knowingly be sold to someone putting together a load for Mexico.

BIG GAME FARMS? Seriously? I hadn't thought about that! Poor little horses. I wondered why so many little horses were being sold to Mexico...I just never knew. I'm sorry, that is even worse than someone euthanizing their stud colts.

As for shredding papers & sending the horse to auction instead of selling it cheap to someone who would quite possibly give that horse a good home--that practice has never impressed me. I've seen it happen a number of times in various breeds--in many cases what it amounts to is condemning the horse to slaughter or goodness knows what just to spite a buyer who cannot afford or doesn't wish to pay out big money to buy that horse.

Perhaps my "dog" example didn't come across correctly. What I meant - outside of the additional costs and situation of owning a mini (compared to a dog) in my mind (such that it is during foaling season without sleep) minis are an exotic type pet - unlike a dog - not everyone can have a mini. I would myself expect to pay more for a miniature horse than I would a dog. My reference was that its the other way around in our local area. They think they can purchase a horse less than what they pay for dogs and to me, that's silly.
I agree that's silly--in my mind a horse is generally worth more than a dog--but I also know that I am not among the majority with that thought!

However, I strongly disagree that a Mini is an exotic type pet. At one time, yes, they were viewed as such, and were priced accordingly. That's why people were able to get thousands of dollars for a dwarf. Since Minis lost their "exotic" status prices did drop--for the most part people do not buy Minis as exotic pets, they buy them as horses. Some still have them just as pets but they get them as pets because they can buy them cheap--if they were still priced as exotics many of those people would never buy a Mini. The people that buy them as horses want to buy at horse prices, not exotic pet prices.

I agree that's silly--in my mind a horse is generally worth more than a dog--but I also know that I am not among the majority with that thought!
Me, too! I can't believe what some people will pay for a dog, especially the little foofy lap dogs, that are only pets. [some other breeds are working animals, so I can almost understand.]

Latest posts

Back