Great News! Horses are on Sale!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmatthewtaylor

Reaction score
I have heard many times lately about how horse prices are down and that is bad for the industry.

I think it is quite the opposite! I think it is an opportunity to have some fun!

Gas prices are too high to go to a show? Great news save the money on the purchase of the horse.

Grain prices too high? Ponies/minis don't eat much.

Running out of space? Ponies/minis don't take up much room.

Whether or not some one wants to breed I will leave to them as I know that's fun too, but consider; you could go to most sales/shows and buy the best one there that is exactly what you want pretty cheaply.

What you will spend to show ALL summer will be a fraction of what others will spend on a week on a cruise. Who had more fun?

Is there money to be made right now? Probably not, but there is FUN to be had!!

Dr Taylor

As someone who only has two minis (and one more on the way) and don't have them as a money-making venture at all, I totally agree. It's those big breeding farms that are hurt the most by this lax market...(and that may not be a bad thing).

As someone who only has two minis (and one more on the way) and don't have them as a money-making venture at all, I totally agree. It's those big breeding farms that are hurt the most by this lax market...(and that may not be a bad thing).

totally agree!

I agree, and we as mini breeders should be marketing more to "big" horse owners. Look at the fun they can have for a lot LESS money than they spend on their big horses.

AGREE just so much fun and yes, we have the upper hand with our little mini horses
default_saludando.gif

I dont breed but love my minis. Right now im only at three but would love to get a mare in foal tthis yr to have a baby next yr just for me and my kids to raise and take care of forever! My 5 yr old is deaf and also has down syndrome and she loves the minis. They have really brought her out. She was scared of all animals until we got the minis it took alittle while but now she cant wait to run to the barn to see them everyday. Tweety is her favorite and Tweety follows Alexis around the yard. There so cute together so i wouldnt sale my minis for a million dollars!

I have heard many times lately about how horse prices are down and that is bad for the industry.

I think it is quite the opposite! I think it is an opportunity to have some fun!

Gas prices are too high to go to a show? Great news save the money on the purchase of the horse.

Whether or not some one wants to breed I will leave to them as I know that's fun too, but consider; you could go to most sales/shows and buy the best one there that is exactly what you want pretty cheaply.

What you will spend to show ALL summer will be a fraction of what others will spend on a week on a cruise. Who had more fun?

Dr Taylor

default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif
you are so right !

Dr Taylor
Dr Taylor, I hope to get a chance to meet you someday, because I never cease to be either informed, amused, or inspired by your posts!

I agree though that this is a huge opportunity for minis - I tell all my "big horse" friends I show my minis because they are easy to keep, fun to play with, and far less expensive to show than any big horse! Plus the people are absolutely the best (and I've showed nearly every "major" breed there is). I have 2 minis, both happen to be mares, but I never plan to breed - I will buy what I want from people who know far more than I do and have been breeding for years to improve the breed, rather than me trying to do so with my 1 or 2 horses!

Dr Taylor I think this is an excellent post and you're so right on - all your points are well heard. I too enjoy (and learn from) your posts.

However, as good as your points are - it ceases to amaze me HOW LOW someone must go to entice the potential mini horse shoppers.

We have beautiful Buckeroo grandsons and BTU grandsons (both yearlings and new foals) advertised as low as 2K and while the ad gets 100s of views, there's not one inquiry. Those in this business know the expense of caring for the parents the entire year, let alone their purchase prices - and then add the care of the foal up until weaning or sale date.

I certainly don't buy any that cheap - - so its confusing why we can't sell that cheap. So one may say "not everybody likes Buckeroo" ........ maybe true but these horses are crossed with other excellent well known bloodlines also. I've seen so many times people on forum say they'd die to have a great grandson of Buckeroo .... these are one step closer than that LOL

As for non-mini owners looking for their first mini - we've tried all your points several times - but there's no point in dealing with our locals here, as they have no clue whatsoever about pedigrees or potential of shows etc. They will fork out $1,500 for a great dane or labrador or other such dog but think they can come pick the best of my available horses and then say "gee, we were looking somewhere around $300). You can have a dozen available horses to choose from and of course they gravitate to the prettiest, or the smallest, or the one that stands out from the rest and then gasp when you say that is why its priced higher. LOL

I'm not into raising grade minis for the locals BECAUSE grade or pedigree - the care is the same cost so no point trying to market the grade pet backyard folks who only want to spend 300-500 bucks. (that's not to say we won't ever have a mini that is not suitable for breeding or showing and would be sold as pet, but that is not what we're breeding for and not what we've purchased to be our breeding stock).

Okay - that's my 2 cents from the peanut gallery......
default_wink.png

Added after the fact : while we have had some great sales and many repeat clients - I'm referring to the current market today and our current ad running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post Dr. Taylor! I bought my dream stallion last year with my tax return money and I am a college student. He is a reserve national grand champion in halter and national top ten in driving plus he sires great foals and has a few overseas. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think i'd be able to afford a stallion with his credentials. Now's the best time to get the horse of your dreams without breaking bank
default_smile.png

Dr. Taylor, I agree that right now it is a buyers market for sure. In fact I'm looking for some one special mare and will try hard to get one.

Marlene, I too have spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on well pedigreed breeding stock. Then turned around and spend tens of thousands on professional training to promote some of them. In years past I could recoup some of the money, but with the high cost of vets, dystocia, etc. it seemed to just balance out. Now in todays economy I have reduced my prices to rock bottom in the hopes of not having to feed, vet or pay a helper. It is hard. I can understand that you have people looking at you ads, and web page, but most don't have that kind of money to spend. I once sold a black and white colt that was Eastern Reserv Champion weanling stallion, and part of Reserv Champion mare and Foal class for a messly 950. I wanted to cry, but another notable breeder told me well at least you know he went to a good show home and you no longer have to pay his bills. Right now we are fine tuning some yearlings in halter and my arthritis in my hands is killing me, I didn't breed any mares for this year, too hard to sell.

I have a friend in your area that breeds yorkie puppies she has two or three litters a year and sells them for $1500 a piece. she asked me to sell her one of my show quality fillies, black with white socks and blaze, would make a good driving, halter horse, (sold to someone else) when I told her I would reduce the price for her if she showed her to $1500 she said No way that is too much money. She also has quarter horses. I talked to hubby last night about reducing our herd and to be serious if I need to sell low to save money in the future I will do it. The hay farmer we use passed, his wife is selling the farm, the other suppliers I know in the area are booked with nothing to spare. I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Also the face of the breed is changing! I just came back from a show and the horse placing in the top three were ASPC/AMHR and rumor has it that these breeders are hardshipping into AMHA. If I don't get on the wagon now I'll be left behind.

Dr. Taylor I'm with you and looking for my special mare to breed to my special stallion, for that special foal and hope to get her for a fair price.

I only wish that I could buy some of the beautiful horses I see advertised!
default_yes.gif
I imagine that many are in the same position that we are in, with more than enough horses at the moment and not able to justify buying more right now, though we would really like to (ok, *I* would like to, hubby not-so-much, lol).

I've held off doing much advertising, though we're still selling horses here and there through word of mouth and repeat customers. People have been thrilled to get wonderful horses for a great price.
default_smile.png
We're also cutting back on breeding to help the saturated market recover, and planning on doing LOTS more showing.
default_aktion033.gif

Adapting to change is the only way to survive, and we might as well look at the bright side while we're changing, huh Dr Taylor?
default_aktion033.gif

Your absolutely right, this is the time to buy. In a good economy, we would have never been able to afford D. Hes a proven show horse on the national level in both halter and performance, and I got him for the price that a decent weanling used to sell for. He has awesome bloodlines, and is trained as an all around horse. He shows halter, roadster, country pleasure, hunter, jumper, showmanship, and obstacle.

Whitetails, you have nice horses, the market just sucks for sellers. With everyone selling cheap, you can get a proven show horse thats professionally trained for $2000 or sometimes less, which might be why some people are reluctant to buy an unproven weanling at the same price, or even higher. The big name farms are even having trouble getting decent prices for their unproven horses, so your not alone Im sure.

I am studying right now to try and get certified to be an equine appraiser. Something I have been doing for friends for a while but nothing professional. As someone that constantly looks at the horse market and studies bloodlines (Mini, QH, Paint, App, TB) I will definatly agree that it is a buyers market right now but the price has to be right. A large problem that I see over and over are owners that want to sell their horse for it's actual value, not the market value. Then you have a horse that you have to market for say...another year, feed for another year, vet, shoe, etc or however long it's takes to finally sell. I go on consultations all the time with people that really want to buy a horse but the owner will not budge on the price. While that horse may be worth what your asking, you have to ask yourself if you really want to sell that animal. If you do you have to put it on the market at a reasonable price that will actually sell. I have been keeping my eye on a mini stallion that has been for sale for almost a year now. He is gorgeous and well bred and everything I want in my next show horse, but the owner will not budge on his price. I'm hoping that because he has been on the market for so long that she will realize that my offer wasn't so bad after all!!! The housing market is the same way right now. There are people out there that want to buy. But the price has to be right to sell!!! I know I have a friend of mine that I show with at the open shows, she shows hunters while I do minis. She has been watching the minis very closely the last few shows and we have finally convinced her that she had to have one. She bought two! We have another who has caught the bug. I love nothing more than "converting" people to minis or at least convincing them that they should have both!

I only wish that I could buy some of the beautiful horses I see advertised!
default_yes.gif
I imagine that many are in the same position that we are in, with more than enough horses at the moment and not able to justify buying more right now, though we would really like to (ok, *I* would like to, hubby not-so-much, lol).
Me, too. Especially the part about me wanting more than hubby, he says I have plenty. Doesn't stop me from looking.

I agree with everyone - truly I do. I've gotten some great deals compared to years past but I've still spent 6,500 to 18,000 on them (as recent as this past January) whereas 3 or 4 years ago, those prices started at 15K and up So yes, I've gotten deals thanks to the economy but not the deals everyone speaks of. Maybe folks see me coming .... LOL If anyone out there has Scout, Buckeroo, Patton, Sids Rebel, and others that we have here for under 2K - - - email me and I'll come with cash in a heartbeat. So far, I haven't seen any of them advertised that cheap or I'd scoop them up.

Everyone says great deal but leaves what that deal is up to others imagination. I agree this is a buyers market and I've gotten excellent deals no doubt - but still paid a pretty penny for what I bought.

I know too that negotiations happen behind closed doors to help the economy and the breed. Problem is that people are afraid to knock on the closed door to start the negotiations. Who knows how low one might go??? hmmmmmmmmmm At this point, theres nothing to loose by taking the chance. I for one ALWAYS inquiry on Private Treaty deals and twice have purchased from them.

At any rate - there has to be a starting point - doesn't there? I feel 2K is a good starting point no matter the age when the successful parents/grandparents and siblings back them up with their records. I also know for certain that in todays market EVERYONE WANTS TO NEGOTIATE and think they got a deal - so while I am expecting everyone to want a discount or want to offer less or "what is the bottom price" ........... I have to start somewhere in my comfort zone that I still recoup some expenses in the final number agreed upon. If I start at 1,200 there is no room to give the prospective buyer a break to offset shipping or gelding or showing. Add to that the registration fees, coggins and health certs for transport need to be deducted from the price - so I'm in the hole. Now, if I have 50 to sell at 1,000 bucks - that's a whole new ballgame but I don't have 50 to sell. LOL

We realize we don't get professional photos immediately, too cold here to clip newborn heads yet - so we have to wait on those things - meanwhile all the fancy pretty pictures are selling first. So i have to advertise with what I have now for folks to start looking because if I wait till May and June to clip and photograph, everyone will have chosen their foals elsewhere by then. So I advertise and hope that with todays market I am in a reasonable starting point that others if interested, will knock on the door and make a reasonable offer. I would think that's how most do it from a business prospective.

I do think in the long run the market shift could really benefit the breed. Yes, we are having to work harder to sell our horses now that the novelty is gone, but hopefully that will eliminate some of the breeding for breeding's sake. The quality is improving by leaps and bounds, and as a result I've gotten some really good feedback from full-sized breeders that hadn't taken our horses seriously before. People of every level and interest are finally getting to close the gap when it comes to the quality of their show, breeding and even companion horses. I sold everything I wanted to sell last year and now have nothing to sell this spring, and while I didn't make a fortune doing it, I had my pick of good homes. That said, there's definitely still a market for minis of a certain quality and type - I am STILL searching for a couple specific additions and get beat every time (the latest time I emailed a half hour after the horse was posted to the website only to find out someone else had called moments before).

As for non-mini owners looking for their first mini - we've tried all your points several times - but there's no point in dealing with our locals here, as they have no clue whatsoever about pedigrees or potential of shows etc. They will fork out $1,500 for a great dane or labrador or other such dog but think they can come pick the best of my available horses and then say "gee, we were looking somewhere around $300). You can have a dozen available horses to choose from and of course they gravitate to the prettiest, or the smallest, or the one that stands out from the rest and then gasp when you say that is why its priced higher. LOL
I feel your pain. We have been here 30 years now and every year the same people come and admire the horses, tell us we have the nicest minis they've seen, and then scoff at our prices all over again. Someone else in the area breeds grade minis and sells them at GARAGE SALES for $50 each, so the uneducated public naturally assumes that is the going rate. Still, in the last year I've met more passionate beginners than ever before. I've been giving away our Journals and Worlds to help them see the difference/value and have also been keeping track of both the local show schedule and online show webcasts so I can tell them when and where they can watch a show. A lot of people just want to have a mini to love on, but several of the people I talked to in the last couple years have actually looked at the magazines and gone to or watched the shows and made the decision to buy better horses.

OK, this is why I didn't breed any mares to foal out this year, cost to have a foal on the ground, I figured around 900. that doesn't include the cost of the stallion, mare, or showing to promote such. It only included well foal and mare vet check, extra shots, supplimental feed, paying someone to watch mares while I bought feed or groceries, my time spent on mare watch after bagging, registration, transfers, pictures, shots, worming, farrier, etc. dystocias are up to $2000 per vet care for mare and foal. I have yet in 20 years made a decent paycheck. My bigger mares are a blessing, but the small ones not so much. Our herd atallion is out of NFC Sugar Boy, his pedigree includes three crosses to Gold Melody Boy, Boones Buck a Roo, Little Kings Black Velvet,(in my opinion the most beautiful mini in the world) and Roan Ranger he carries a double dilute gene for palamino and cremello, He has only thrown palomino, no cremes, and black and dilute black. his first foal crop are all Champions. He was promoted by Peas Hill and is AMHA Reserv Champion stallion 32" and AMHR Champion STallion and Champion of Champions, WE love him, but for two years he has not been bred. Our blood lines include Dell Tera, Little King, Egypgian King, Lucky Four, RFM, Blue Boy, we have marketable horses, yet I need to realize the market is down, and it is a buyers market. Plus add to that the changes in the breed, believe me, since we show I saw it coming for several years, there is no escaping it, if you don't have a ASPC/AMHR/AMHA breeding program you are going to be left behind as I have. Go to some shows and see the horses that are placing in the top five. Not that I agree with some of the judges choses, (some of them toe out in front) but either roll with the punches, give up or change with the times. Dr. Taylor is right, buy low, sell low and hope for better times in the future and have fun while doing it.

Riverrose-i totally agree with you. One of the main reasons I bought my new stallion last year was because he will add more of the shetland look that is winning now. Minis have changed dramatically the past few years. I won't complain because most of our old mares are big pushing 34" shetland bred mares. I love them.

I also want to say that all of my best purchases have been made when I knew absolutely nothing of the horses pedigree. I rarely even ask for pedigree-i want a well put together horse, not names on a piece of paper. I bought a buckskin stallion for $500 because I loved his foals. Got him and his papers and then saw he was an Iowas Little Kernel son. Another mare we bought without knowing pedigree and when we got them later saw she was out of one of our mares we had sold years before
default_smile.png
Another one is the stallion I just bought. His dam is a sister to the dam of Good Deed. I had no idea before hand.

Latest posts

Back