**GRAPHIC** sad end to our foaling season :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry for your loss! Hugs to you ladies.

Here is a mare with wry nose that my great grandparents bred and my grandparents raised. She passed away last winter at the age of 20 and pictured at age 18.

Precious-body.jpg

Hers was very mild and she still had breathing problems.
Thank you for posting a picture of your mare with wry mouth, again a wonderful learning tool.

Linda and Deb,

I just saw this and I'm so heartbroken for you. I know how much you wanted this foal, as you would any, but since he was a full sibling to your beautiful filly from last year. I wish there was some way for all the answers to be known, but hopefully you can find comfort in knowing the little one passed without knowing pain. I hope Kiss recovers completely from her loss. Hugs to all of you.

Can someone restate this for me in words I understand?

So sorry.

Just a little information;

When a foal is born within 6 hours of dieing en-utero it will exhibit no signs,

between 6-12 hours the corneas will become edematous and turn blue/gray,

from 12-24 hours the hair is easily epilated,

after 24 hours there will be sub q emphysema.

Dr Taylor
Edematous?

Epilated?

I know what subcutaneous means and I know what emphysema is, but what is subcutaneous emphysema???

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. I know it is always heartbreaking to loose a foal, but sometimes it's better for them to go to greener pastures then to suffer her on earth. God Bless you and your family.

So sorry for your loss. I know it is always heartbreaking to loose a foal, but sometimes it's better for them to go to greener pastures then to suffer her on earth. God Bless you and your family.
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. And this is what makes it a little easier knowing for sure that this little guy would not of had an easy life here on earth IF he would've even survived.

Linda and Deb, I'm so sorry. These type of things sure are tough. Thinking of you both.....

I am so sorry for the loss of your foal. It's just heartbreaking! I'm glad your mare is doing well. HUGS to you both!

Linda and Deb,

I just saw this and I'm so heartbroken for you. I know how much you wanted this foal, as you would any, but since he was a full sibling to your beautiful filly from last year. I wish there was some way for all the answers to be known, but hopefully you can find comfort in knowing the little one passed without knowing pain. I hope Kiss recovers completely from her loss. Hugs to all of you.

Can someone restate this for me in words I understand?

Edematous?

Epilated?

I know what subcutaneous means and I know what emphysema is, but what is subcutaneous emphysema???
Sorry I wasn't clearer, if this is still confusing don't hesitate to ask again.

Edema is essentially swelling. When the cornea swells it loses its transparency and becomes a grey/blue.

Epilated describes easily removing hair from the skin by pulling it.

Emphysema is air, so sub q emphysema describes air under the skin. It will feel like plastic under the skin.

Hope this clears things up.

Dr Taylor

Dr Taylor, you are so cool. Thanks for explaining, just after I was reading your post and saying huh? ... in comes the explanation, clear and interesting. So much to learn from this forum.

Thanks Dr Taylor...

Pretty sure our foal was born within 6 hrs (thinking more like within 2-3) of finding him.

Sorry I wasn't clearer, if this is still confusing don't hesitate to ask again.

Edema is essentially swelling. When the cornea swells it loses its transparency and becomes a grey/blue.

Epilated describes easily removing hair from the skin by pulling it.

Emphysema is air, so sub q emphysema describes air under the skin. It will feel like plastic under the skin.

Hope this clears things up.

Dr Taylor
Thank you SO much! Those are terms I understand and I found it to be very helpful information!!!

Latest posts

Back