**GRAPHIC** sad end to our foaling season :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
Foaling season has come to a very sad end for us...We went out to feed this morning and Deb found Kiss's foal still in its sack in the pasture. It was a full-term foal, but we think it died in utero, because he had a deformed head and the side that was deformed, it looks like he never developed an eye since the socket felt empty (lid was "glued shut"). Otherwise, it was a gorgeous dark palomino with a blaze and four high white socks....DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_sad.png
We buried him this morning near the side gate to the field under a tree. Run and play free my sweet angel baby and we'll see you on the other side of the rainbow bridge!!
default_sad.png
:(
default_sad.png

I posted this on FB too, but did not post any pics there. I am only posting them here for a learning tool...I have never seen a deformity like this. The colt was not a dwarf as he was "normal" in every sense other than his facial deformities. Things happen for a reason and even if he had died in the sack after birth, he would never have had a chance and we would have had to make the hard decision ourselves. Both Kiss and we never had a chance to bond with a live foal. No, it doesn't make things easier on the heart for us humans, but Kiss is doing fine (thankfully!)

Wanted to add, too, that yesterday Deb noticed that Kiss was starting to get a small bag, but I didn't think she was close yet, so we didn't put a beeper on her. While I am sad for Kiss that we were not "there" for her when she foaled...again things happened the way they were supposed to...

Either way...I am heartbroken....
default_crybaby.gif

(ETA: This was a full sibling to the filly in my avatar.)

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_6955.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt...I had never heard of a "wry nose" before and had to look it up! Thanks for that information as I learned something new today!

I am so sorry Kiss, Linda and Debs for your loss. I pray your hearts mend. There was someone on here last year with a foal born with a wry nose but I don't remember now who.

RIP little one, run free.

I am sorry for your loss. Matt is right, looks like wry nose, Which is believed to be congenital, not genetic. I have also heard of foals being born with one or no eyes, If you research it it is in many cases believed to be congenital also. Whether malpositioning of the fetus, introduction to the wrong thing at the right time during gestation, the cause may never be fully known. I am truly sorry for your loss, sometimes nature does it's own culling, and sometimes as much as we resent it, what is meant to be is out of our hands.

Godspeed little one.

Extremely SAD!!! thank you for taking time to post the pics, they are informative.

Hope things are OK with your mare,

Julie

I am so sorry for you and Deb. That is very sad but somehow that foal was not meant to live.

So sorry for your loss! Hugs to you ladies.

Here is a mare with wry nose that my great grandparents bred and my grandparents raised. She passed away last winter at the age of 20 and pictured at age 18.

Precious-body.jpg

Hers was very mild and she still had breathing problems.

Oh Linda & Deb, I'm so sorry!!!!!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to both of you and to Kiss.

So sorry.

Just a little information;

When a foal is born within 6 hours of dieing en-utero it will exhibit no signs,

between 6-12 hours the corneas will become edematous and turn blue/gray,

from 12-24 hours the hair is easily epilated,

after 24 hours there will be sub q emphysema.

Dr Taylor

Thanks everyone...Knowing what our little angel colt was born with, nature has a way of taking care of what we can not and I believe that things happened the way they were supposed to with this little guy. Of course, I am still sad, but I am OK.

Diane, yes this was our last foal we were expecting this year. We had the pony filly born alive and healthy, another mare we thought was pregnant has apparently come up open (we never tested her, so it was never confirmed) and then Kiss's angel colt. Of course you anticipate all your babies, but this was our sweepstakes foal and also Bella's full sibling.

So sorry. That is heart breaking. Thanks for sharing the information as it helps us all.

So so sorry for your loss, but as you said sometimes even the hard things happen for a reason, and at least your mare is ok.

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing as it is a great learning tool for the rest of us.

So sorry.

Just a little information;

When a foal is born within 6 hours of dieing en-utero it will exhibit no signs,

between 6-12 hours the corneas will become edematous and turn blue/gray,

from 12-24 hours the hair is easily epilated,

after 24 hours there will be sub q emphysema.

Dr Taylor
Dr. Taylor Thank you again for sharing your wealth of knowledge. That sheds light on my foaling nightmare a few years ago.

Back