Goodbye To Ruthie 1983-2006

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckonranch

Reaction score
Today I said good Bye to Jandts Right Ruthie.. None of you probably have ever heard her name, but if you have ever owned a Jandts bred horse, her name probably appears somewhere back in the pedigree. She never won any National champions, but may have been the genetic force behind many of today and tomorrows champions.. The phrase you have all heard head hunters dream.. well that was first said the day Ruthie was born.. 23 years ago... and was last said by the vet techs who met her today..

I wanted to share our relationship so I too can now put it to rest.. Ruthie was what we would have called in the 60's a Woman of Free Spirit.... I bought her at 17 years old when she had developed choke.. Joe asked me if I would like to buy her.. at her age and with her condition she was too much for him to care for.. I have always loved that beauty and thought.. sure.. why not.. I would love to buy a 17 year old mare that chokes..!!! I took her home.. the choke disappeared and she became the fastest, cleverest, spin on a dime, all time uncatchable mare I owned.. She would stand out in the middle of the field if she thought I had glanced at her out of the corner of my eye.. We have been putting on this Rodeo with Ruthie everytime she is wormed, trimmed, bred, foaled, but somehow she just seemed worth the trouble..She produced two pretty fillies for me which are her legacy on the Ranch today.. Last night she was laying down when I did chores.. my first thought was... oh this dont look good.... I had to run her through the gate and after some fancy foot work on both are parts I managed to get her into a stall.. I did the usual procedure for colic symptoms, but when she wasnt responding I began to load her for the hospital trip.. when I returned into the barn she was down in the stall and not moving.. I attempted to get her up.. but she was unreponsive. I walked away to call my husband to help me with her and just left her laying with the stall and barn door open. As I returned I saw a red flash streak across the yard.. when I looked again I could not believe my eyes.. there was Ruthie trotting throught the leaves heading toward the long driveway AND ME ON FOOT RUNNING HOT ON HER TAIL.... by the time I got towards the catch gate she had took off at a dead run down the runway.. I HAD TO STOPand just watch her go I thought of running for the camera, but watching her I had to smile and thought.. "Run Like the Wind Ol Woman!" I was hoping if this was her last hurrah, it would have ended at the top of the hill, but she just loved the challange of the CATCH and watching me RUN>>. I finally cornered her and caught her for the last time.. I cant think of how many times I would cuss that ol mare out.. vowing she was going down the road(literally) when she would out smart me. Cantankerous ol Woman I use to call her.. Amazing now, how I would love the chance to do that run just one more time.. The news was from the vet was.. lets let her go.... and I kissed that Cantankerous ol Girl Goodbye.. but in my mind as I walked away I could only remember the vision of her running up over the hill.. by herself this time without me in pursuit. I have only one last thought as we send her across.. Love ya Ruthie, ya kept me in shape!

Angie Sauer/buckonranch

Angie, That was a beautiful tribute to your precious mare.....may she run over the rainbow bridge without any pain or suffering. Seems there is always that "special character" to grab our heart and makes them so special. Mary

default_sad.png
I am so sorry Ruthie is gone, and at the same time happy she lived with you til she couldn't anymore.

My thoughts are with you. I've got a similar girl here, she's 30 this year and hoping she has many more left. She does some similar things as Ruthie, but it's mostly whenever she doesn't want to, which is if there's too much hoopla made about it. If you're calm and quiet, "Gramma" will do anything. Our old girl is Dell Tera's Betty.

Congrats, Ruthie, on your wings! Noone will ever catch you again! (I have a feeling she'll be waiting for you with a gleam in her eye, though, Angie...)

Liz M.

What a wonderful way to say goodbye to an old friend. The old girl couldn't have asked for better in the end - one last free run and no suffering.

I have several "older gals" and I know the day is coming when one of mine joins Ruthie. I couldn't think of a better mentor to have waiting for them other than your cantankerous old girl!

You were a good mommy! I hope you find peace in knowing she had a good life.

Angie, what a fitting tribute to a great mare. That was beautiful, but I am so sorry to hear of her passing. Corinne

Sorry for your loss she sounded like a wonderful old mare l'm sure she has left a large hole in your heart.

Angie,

What a wonderful tribute to a much loved mare.

So sad to hear that you had to let her go

but I just know that she will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge

so that you can chase her over it.
default_yes.gif
:

Beautiful Tribute...beautiful story Angie!! I am sure you will miss her greatly...some just grab hold of our ole hearts and hold on tightly...your memory of her that day will be a treasure to be cherished when ever you like...that is the greatest gift of all!! God Bless Ruthie!!

lisa

What a beautiful tribute to your mare. Sorry for your loss, but happy for the fillies that she left you in her place.

Your tribute to her has left me in tears. She sounds like one fine old lady and I know she was loved. I'm so sorry.

Oh Angie, I am so sorry about Ruthie. And such a beautiful story, it brought both a smile and tears.

default_wub.png
: Ruthie you go girl!!!!!!

Sorry for your loss and thank you for not shipping her off to the auctions like so many others are after they can no longer make someone money.

Bonnie

angie I am very sorry for the loss of your mare

How awesome that you two spirits got to share the "ride" together (((HUGS)))

She sounds like the kind of mare i could have loved too. What a free spirit. Now i need to wipe the tears. Think how lucky you are to have had her with you while you did.

What a great tribute to your wonderful friend. I am also awaiting the sad day when I have to say good bye to Mulita(Falabella) that is her AMHA/AMHR registered name who is a year older than your grand ole girl and from what I understand I am the only one that has ever been able to really handle her. She just two days ago led the entire herd on a beautiful run. Thank you for you fror sharing your story and I am so sorry for your loss but so glad you had the joy of "owning" her.

So very sorry for the loss of your Ruthie. What a lucky girl she was to have such a wonderful mom. May God bless you and comfort you now in your time of grief. God speed Ruthie! You will be missed.

Tammie~

[SIZE=14pt] WOW that is a nice relationship. You appreciated her and did not have to bend her to your will to become yours. I really admire that, and you know she did too. She sure sounded like she was worth the effort!!! Sorry you lost her. Would love to see her or her daughters that she gave to you.[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back