going rate$$ for companions at home

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I am going to look for a part time companion for my Dad, one to 2 days a week aprrox 5-6 hours a day. Making him breakfast and lunch, helping him dress, perhaps emptying a urinal or two. He is with it, oriented and pleasant. He does his own bathroom stuff. He walks with a walker and wears oxygen.

Does anyone know how much to pay someone like that? Approx 830am to 2pm.

Thanks!

Robin

Robin, begin at your dad's doctor's office for referrals. They know everything you need to know and who to help you out

When my mom needed home health care, her medical put up 100%

Don't know if your dad is at this point or not, but my mom had hospice workers come in. Very, very nice folks!!

Robin, begin at your dad's doctor's office for referrals. They know everything you need to know and who to help you out

When my mom needed home health care, her medical put up 100%
You might also consider contacting your local Senior Center and ask for recommendations. Some centers also run an elderly day care center. I know years a go a friend of mine took her mother to a center every weekday while she worked at home. Her mother required constant watching and it was impossible for lou to run her kennel and grooming work and keep a constant eye on her mother.

I also know that the Senior Center in Reno, Nv has a elderly day care center. No, I have never stayed there but it is just down the street from the Reno horse show grounds and I have gone there for lunch. Where else can you get a full lunch for less than $2. :bgrin Sorry you have to be atleast 62 and the nice lady always checked my ID.

Another possibility, although it only covers one of your needs, is to check into Meals On Wheels and see if they are active in your/his area.

I know that in North Carolina, they have a listing of people that do this sort of stuff. I have a friend as well and she charges anywhere from $14.00 on up. Your state may have a website with nursing homes, assisted living, In-home nursing with ratings and any complaints as they are state ruled. Our division is under department of social services don't know what your state would call it but might be worth a shot. Also as the previous post says, ask your doctor. The Alzheimers Association also might have a list as well. Good luck and hope your dad is doing better now that he's home with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in California they have something called "In Home Support Service" if someone is low income and does not have lots of assets and in need of help so that they came live at home they can get help from that program.

The state or county pays someone to come in and do things like cooking and help with other things too.

Every case is different; it just depends on what the person needs. Your social service office can tell you more.

I found some one... she used to work in our hospital as a housekeeper and she is a lovely person. Joan is 70 and healthy, retired and bored to tears. A friend told her I was looking for someone for my Dad.

I called several companies and they charge $22.50/hour minimum 6 hours 2 days a week. Found out the companions get $10.00 working on the side, so I offered $10.00/hour and she accepted. She is sweet and honest.

I think this will work out great!

Thanks all!!

Robin

Latest posts

Back