Hello My Friends -- Some Sad News / Some Happy News

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone --

Last week, we lost my shih-tzu golden child / best friend, Winston. He was only 10yo, which for the breed is not old. However, Winston had some health issues all his life so I think he was older than his years. I also think he is / was an old soul on the inside.

Tuesday afternoon, he was fine. That evening, he only ate half his dinner but that is not remarkable really. He had been on prescription food for years due to kidney stones (had had two prior surgeries) and he really didn't like the food.

That night, he was just progressively uncomfortable so to the vets on Wednesday morning. They radio graphed and saw some inflammation in his intestines. We left him there for pain meds, IV fluid, other meds, etc. Talked to them that evening and he had had a seizure. Blood had been drawn that morning but results not available until Thursday morning.

He passed away Wednesday night. I am sure it was at 11:35pm. I woke up then and was up the rest of the night. I'd been up watching him nearly all of the prior night. I knew. He came to me to let me know, I have no doubt. Vet called around 7:30 confirming he had passed away.

The blood work showed his liver was shot. It's a blur but a level of something should have been under 180 and was over 5,000. The vet feels he had a tumor in his liver and it ruptured.

I just have not been up to posting...

To some of you, it probably will sound like I've just had an easy life, but loosing Winston hurts so much. Nothing in my life has ever been more painful.

On Friday, though, I just would start to feel a little more composed and then right away, I'd make myself think of things that would make me cry hysterically for a LONG time (I mean, sobbing so much my back ached). Then feeling composed to do it again. Over and over. I did this same thing the first time I had a miscarriage. It's like this compulsion to do NOTHING but wallow and wallow in it. It makes it completely impossible for me to function or even watch a stupid tv show and follow it. It's just a bad way to let yourself be. When I had my subsequent miscarriages, my OBGYN gave me low dose Xanax and it stopped me from that behavior. Doesn't make me "not sad" but keeps me from that wallowing for hours and hours on end, only to stop and then start it right back up again. God bless my regular doctor. He understood what I was saying and gave me a prescription, which I have only used maybe 8 pills from but I needed them and keeping them in my purse in case it comes on when I'm at the office. It's not like something to get me over being sad, but something that helps me to not wallow and wallow and wallow... (I do not know if any of you have ever had this kind of problem but if you do, maybe some short term medicine could also help you get past the behavior like it does for me.)

Winston was so special. He'd be very cranky when he was sleepy in the evening but any other time, he was just "so good of heart". Always happy and when we would come home from work or when it was before dinner or breakfast, the food he didn't even really enjoy (prescription), he would always get a stuffed animal and run around the house very visibly celebrating. He was eternally optimistic that we'd put something he liked better in his bowl. All he wanted out of life was he love of his mom and dad, and some good food (oh and his 100 or so stuffed animals).

We bought him in 1998. An ad in the paper and when we showed up at a house, they asked "what puppies did you want to see?" It turned out, it was like a puppy mill / puppy broker. But we were there to get a puppy and we obviously picked Winston. He was THE ONE OMG big time. However, we live in VA, he was born in OK and he was 6wks old the day he came into our lives. He was taken from his fur mother WAY too young. As a result, though, he had a nursing behavior all his life. When he would be happy or if he was (so rarely) scolded, he would grab a stuffed animal and lay with it in his mouth and kneed the animal with his eyes closed mimicking nursing. It was just adorable and I have not ever seen a dog do that kind of thing.

On days when both Harvey and I would be staying home, he'd realize we were not going out or to work, and he'd be so happy. He was just so loving, and so smart. Knew so many words and when I would hold him on my lap or on my stomach, he would gaze into my eyes for time on end.

We have other dogs, and we love them, but it was just so deep and so special with Winston. Nothing else compares. I had told him for years don't ever leave me because I can't be without you. This past year, I started telling him when he has to go, please find a way back. I probably sound crazy, but I do think that certain close relationships are bound forever, and that can include special pets. I think my parents' dog did come back in a dog they now have, etc. My parents and I even think we know the moment Ollie came into / joined Murphy (@ 6wks old during a visit with him before he was old enough to come home, he fell asleep in my dad's arms and then when he woke up, his fur mom was checking him out intensely).

This weekend, we are going to get a new puppy. It's soon but I just feel this is right and specifically, this is the right puppy. On Friday of last week, on the sales board here, I saw an ad that included Shih-Tzu puppies. I have not ever seen shih-tzu puppies for sale there before. I thought "okay, maybe this is important."

Looked at the details of the ad and it's from a lady I know through here and also talked to her some at a show years ago. Our own "4mymirage"! Years ago after Winston's first surgery, Cheryl (4mymirage) reached out to me privately with advice on how to get him to eat. The surgeon stressed I had to, and I couldn't get him to. I was syringing baby food and he kept spitting it out. She is a small animal vet and I was so touched and so helped by her advice, I never forgot it and always felt grateful. So, this too, I feel is a "sign" that a puppy from her is right.

Cheryl sent me photos and there is one puppy that has a Winston expression all over his face. He also has a partial black mask on the opposite side as did Winston. In a picture of him and other puppies in the grass, I found a four leaf clover pointing at him. His mother's face is like a girl version of Winston in the features. Over the past few days, I just feel so at peace that this is the puppy and it will help so much. I honestly feel Winston got into him or at least will be in his ear.

He will be known as Watson. He is in North Carolina about 180 miles from us. Harvey and I are leaving early (5am? 6am?) Saturday morning to go get our fur son. I can't wait. Thinking about meeting him in person chokes me up. I just can't wait and cannot say how much I need a puppy to raise and spoil to the point of charmingly obnoxious like we did with Winston who was my constant companion and someone I was always talking to, singing to, touching.

After we get him home, I will post pictures. Cheryl is saving two puppies, but it's the one I keep thinking of that I just think will jump into my heart for sure!

Thank you for listening. A lot of you know what Winston was to me, and I know a lot of you have your own very special relationships with your pets, so I know you know how I feel. I have been checking in and reading updates on our members, but just hadn't been up to posting and didn't want to jump into a conversation before I let you all know about Winston.

Jill

PS I do want to show one picture. Doesn't really "introduce" Watson as you can't see his face (saving that for Saturday or Sunday!), but I want to show the four leaf clover -- one of "the signs"-- also, four leaf clovers have been significant to me always. When I am looking for my own good luck, I will look for one and when I've had a horse who I want to have especially good luck, I will find one and feed it to him or her. So it's not "just" a four leaf clover, it's that they are significant to me.

Watson-clover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Winston. {{{Hugs}}}

Sometimes angels do watch our over us, its up to us to understand them. I am so sorry about Winston, I can not even think to the day Tate is no longer with me, just makes me cry to think of it. And as funny as this is going to sound, yet again, I not only met Destiny before you did but I have also met Watson and his litter mates already too LOL. I was at Cheryl's a couple of weeks ago and got to see all of those furry faces just smiling, they are a beautiful litter of puppies.

You couldn't have gotten one from a more wonderful person, Cheryl is the best. We had a gelding party at her house LOL I think it was either five or six colts became geldings that day.

Best of luck with your new boy, I think Winston has shown you what to do and he is happy.

Seems to be in the 'air' right now...

I know exactly how you feel Jill, as we had the 2 non-corgis put to sleep a couple of days ago....there is just such an empty place here right now....

((((hugs))))

~kathryn

I am so sorry to hear of Winston's passing. I know from your posts here how much he meant to you. Although your new fur son cannot replace Winston, he will surely give you lots of enjoyment.

So sorry for your loss Jill, you guys have a safe trip to get Watson, Kathy

Jill,

I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. That soulful, deep pain is

so totally consuming. ((((hugs)))) I am glad you are feeling a little better.

I missed you on here, emailed Kim to check on you, who of course,

honored your privacy, but let me know you were ok.
default_smile.png

I know you have ten years of wonderful memories of Winston that will bring

smiles forever.

Your new puppy will bring so much joy, and add to those wonderful memories of life
default_smile.png
)

Have fun on your trip and post pics of that baby ASAP!

~Sandy

ps Glad you are back
default_smile.png

Jill, these "children" leap into our hearts and plant themselves there for keeps, always and forever..even when we lose them. Grieving their loss is no different for many of us. I am of a mind that all things live in spirals....Winston filled an empty painful place in you with his love and curmudgeon self, in his loss your pain and absolute agony was brightened by a pair of shoe button eyes and a wet nose, Watson was meant to be and I can't wait to see that sweet face. Old Winston'll be round to show him the ropes to wrap round your heart, of this I'm sure. My deepest condolences and congratulation on your new fur-son.

Aww I'm really sorry to hear that. It is a time that I have had to go through more than a few times with my beloved pets and would cry for days.

((hugs))

I'm so sorry. I know your pain quite well. I lost my beloved 15 year old German Shepherd girl 1 week ago Sunday. It hurts so much, I hardly even rememberd life without her. I lost her son in February and her daughter last year.

I am a firm believer that we will all be together again.....

Take care,

Joyce

I had a very special fur child, also, Jill - more special than any other, though it makes me feel guilty to say that. I lost him way too young in a tragic accident that was my fault. When I lost "Harvey" the corgi I got "Henry" the corgi. I know just what you are going through. You cannot replace them, but oh my, it sure does help to have a distraction from the pain - and puppies SURELY provide that!

I'm so sorry you lost Winston, I think alot of us do know how much he meant to you. I can feel your pain and I know how deep it can run. I lost my Sassy 3 yrs ago to cancer, she was only 9 yrs old and I still cry when I think of her early death. I'm crying now, I don't know if it's for Sassy and me or for your Winston and you, I feel terrible for your loss. A new puppy does ease the pain, I'm sure of that and your soon to be new puppy looks precious. I can just see you when you go to pick the puppy up, it'll be a furry handful.

I wish something I could say could ease your pain, Jill...I am so very sorry that Winston is gone.

It's obvious how much he means to you, and always will. Please know my thoughts are with you and that Watson helps you to heal, knowing that Winston would love to see you happy again, and not dwelling on the inevitable parting you both had to endure.

(((hugs)))

Liz

I'm sorry to hear about Winston. Your pain is very evident in your post and I hope that with time it gets easier. Again, so sorry this happened Jill.
default_no.gif

oh Jill, I am so sorry about your loss of Winston. I know he meant so much to you.

I was just gonna email you to see where you were as you werent on the forum, now I know why.

I have been there, I had to put down our 14 yr old Chow Madison and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do! My husband was out of town so me and our 2 kids who were 8 and 12 had to go thru it without my husband-not my idea of what I would want.

I'm glad you have Harvey there as support, I'm sure he is just as upset as you are.

I also know about the sobbing-I cried so long after Madison died, and I still get tears when I think about him now almost 3 yrs later.. He was the perfect dog and such a good soul like your Winston..

I also understand needing something to get you thru the rough patches.

I actually had to leave home the day after I had Madison put down, I kept trying to let him out and calling for him and then I would realize he was gone
default_sad.png
In the midst of crying constantly, it was very rough...

It is so hard and you wouldnt be an animal over if it werent hard...

I hope this new little Watson will help fill the hole in your hearts. People always say you cant replace them with another- I say you arent replacing them, you are just getting another sweetheart to mother, love, and be with. These animals fill such a spot in our hearts and thats a good thing..

Missy

Oh Jill,
default_crybaby.gif

I can only imagine how you feel. If I lost my Daisy I would be absolutely devastated and I've only had her 10 1/2 months. I know Winston was your soul mate and I certainly hope Watson can help you get over your sorrow with his puppy antics. He should be able to put a smile on your face. I know he can never REPLACE Winston in your heart but will help ease the pain of your loss. Puppies are fun. I know your other dogs also have to be feeling a loss and know you are very unhappy. (((((hugs
default_cheekkiss.gif
)))))

Can't wait to see Watson. Have a safe trip.

I am so sorry that you lost Winston. I DO know that the pain and it is soul searing pain. Like a family member. The wallowing is something I can totally relate to. That is nothing wrong with bringing a new someone in to love to. I felt like I was betraying Monkey my cat when I did get a kitten from the rescue. That was a major problem for me, I felt bad. But having listened to Bonnie and others about how the animals feels whole and better and happy. I am better about the pain. It has been four months. Not that it helps you now.

And to know that you are giving a new little soul a happy place to live and be loved is not a bad thing! Again, I am sorry.

Oh Jilly I KNOW EXACTLY how you feel. I lost my K dog early this year she was 15. I'm SO TERRIBLY SORRY for your loss. Your braver than I, I still can't talk about it. Take Care and make sure you keep your other fur babies CLOSE.

Jill....

I am so very sorry for the loss of your Winston!! I know how special he was in your life and he will always be there in spirit. (((HUGS)))

Latest posts

Back