FURminators

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense, but I HATE furminators. I've never seen a healthy looking coat from someone who used one. They tear and split the coat. Maybe I've just seen animals who get the furminator too often? I don't know, but I'll stick to the slickblock
default_smile.png

Michelle,

No worries, no offense taken. I generally use it to get all the dead hair out prior to shaving.....as it really saves wear/tear on my clipper blades. And it has no ill effects on the finished clip job. So you could be right on the "overly furminated" coats.

Wendy

I have had a furminator for years and love it for my newie. I only use it when needed but for the spring and fall shedding season, it really helps the process.

I use mine on my kitties....it's the only "brush" they crave more of lol. I think the damaged fur may come from how people use it. You have to be very light handed with it and almost let it do the work rather than pulling and scraping like you would with a normal brush.

No offense, but I HATE furminators. I've never seen a healthy looking coat from someone who used one. They tear and split the coat. Maybe I've just seen animals who get the furminator too often? I don't know, but I'll stick to the slickblock
default_smile.png
I'm with you too....I thought it was because I was being too stuck up protecting my dogs' coats for showing.....but I've heard many, MANY people comment on the same thing, and they are not show people.

I bought a couple several years ago at a dog show (they were extremely cheap). Got home and tried it....sooooo did not like what it did to the coat. I never used it again after that, and I gave away the one brush that I'd never used. I kept the one, just in case, but I've never used it since.

~kathryn

I like the old Grooma Rake for the horses. I used it on our Great Pyrenees mix, but would never use it on our Maltese, as her coat and skin are too delicate. It doesn't break the hair, as it has rounded ends and freely rotating teeth, but some dogs are simply more sensitive than others.

I checked out the Furminator at the pet store and didn't see how it would be an improvement over what I already had.

I love my Furminator!!! I use it on the big horses, minis and dogs - it's GREAT!!!!

Liz N.

The problem with the furminator is people over use it. And it is really easy to over use one. They look like they are pulling out a ton of hair... and they usually are, but it's a little bit of undercoat with a lot of top coat. Hair will keep coming out as long as you use it. I've seen soooo many damaged coats from overuse of this tool. The ONLY time I would use a furminator on a horse is in the spring when they are shedding out. Sounds like this is what you love them for. And for that, they are almost un-beatable!

Latest posts

Back