Hi, From Colorado! New to forum and miniature horses :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am from Colorado also...Penrose area. I have a Batman too...but I call him BMan...he is also black and white...and I have a Scotty. Nice to have you here! Michele
Very neat
default_smile.png
I am from the Cotopaxi area, so I am only about 40-45 minutes from you! I drive through Penrose everytime I go to Colorado Springs
default_biggrin.png

Welcome from central Arizona!!
Thanks!!

Welcome from Southern Maryland - plenty to learn here and plenty of folks willing and eager to share information and ideas. No point reinventing the wheel when so many can share their tricks of the trade based on their experiences.

we use the tape ribbon also to divide pastures and move groups around. Very easily done and you can use the tape over and over again. We actually just knot it around our existing electric fence so no battery necessary. Only had one problem of horses getting out and that was because a deer (or multiple deer) ran through it. Only happened once thankfully.

as far as big and minis sharing run-ins and pastures - never here - and sounds to be the consensus from everyone. Minis can fight or challenge eachother but when they do - it's their same weight coming at them. One strike just right to a minis head from a 1,200 or 1,500 lb horse can kill them. We rehomed our quarter horse mare last year becuase she was taking up pasture space better utilized by the minis - and as gentle natured and trusted as she was - I wasn't taking any chances.
Thanks for the tips
default_smile.png
They are much appreciated!!

That is so sweet! You have got a saint pony there
default_smile.png
If Alex turns out to like my guys, I hope they are as good with him as your little stallion is
default_wub.png
Yeh, he is amazing with Alberto. He can play up a bit with me when I clean his feet before dinner if he is hungry but he never says a thing if it is Alby cleaning him. It's amazing how he understands.
yes.gif

To add the tape to an existing fence I use a stapler as it holds perfectly and it looks nicer too. I fold all the ends back and close them of with about 10 staples.

Yeh, he is amazing with Alberto. He can play up a bit with me when I clean his feet before dinner if he is hungry but he never says a thing if it is Alby cleaning him. It's amazing how he understands.
yes.gif
That is so sweet
default_smile.png
Gotta love em!

To add the tape to an existing fence I use a stapler as it holds perfectly and it looks nicer too. I fold all the ends back and close them of with about 10 staples.

Thanks for the tip! That might just work
default_smile.png

this might be a dumb question, but how does the electrical current run through metal staples? wouldn't that short it out? or is your tape not electrified?

Hello from western Wyoming
default_saludando.gif

Your mini's are very cute and I bet you can't wait to get them home! How long have you lived there and do you plan on staying? Your sure welcome to stay with us(HUGE HOUSE)if you want to visit The Tetons and Yellowstone
default_yes.gif
..we are only 60 miles south of Jackson, Wy.

I would just build a small barn or lean to's for them. As already been said, Rubbermaid shed are good for lawnmowers and such things, but not Miniature Horses. As for them being in with large horses, we had done this before but it takes one who is not going to kick. We have a Paint gelding here now, very gentle and wouldn't mean to harm anything, but he really lets those feet fly when he is having fun...so one like him wouldn't be a good candiate to herd with Miniature Horses. The fencing, I have never had good look with electric because of deer pulling the fence down. We have moveable pipe corrals around the barn area. I like them because you can make a corral within a matter of minutes. We use no-climb wire in and around the pasture. I would never feel 100% at ease with electric and you need to feel comfortable about your fencing knowing that you can leave and no one is going to get out.

Anymore questions, ask away and please feel free to give a call

Jenny & Mel
default_aktion033.gif

Hello from western Wyoming
default_saludando.gif

Your mini's are very cute and I bet you can't wait to get them home! How long have you lived there and do you plan on staying? Your sure welcome to stay with us(HUGE HOUSE)if you want to visit The Tetons and Yellowstone
default_yes.gif
..we are only 60 miles south of Jackson, Wy.

I would just build a small barn or lean to's for them. As already been said, Rubbermaid shed are good for lawnmowers and such things, but not Miniature Horses. As for them being in with large horses, we had done this before but it takes one who is not going to kick. We have a Paint gelding here now, very gentle and wouldn't mean to harm anything, but he really lets those feet fly when he is having fun...so one like him wouldn't be a good candiate to herd with Miniature Horses. The fencing, I have never had good look with electric because of deer pulling the fence down. We have moveable pipe corrals around the barn area. I like them because you can make a corral within a matter of minutes. We use no-climb wire in and around the pasture. I would never feel 100% at ease with electric and you need to feel comfortable about your fencing knowing that you can leave and no one is going to get out.

Anymore questions, ask away and please feel free to give a call

Jenny & Mel
default_aktion033.gif
Thanks for the advice! AND the invite, but don't get upset when my two noisy boys and I come crash at your place, lol
default_wink.png

I have an ad posted on Craigslist right now to see if anyone has a used calf hut of some sort, so hopefully that will pan out, and if not, I will just build a small shelter for them to use until we can afford something bigger.

Why did I not think of this!!!!!!!??????? Brilliant. Thanks!

Very neat
default_smile.png
I am from the Cotopaxi area, so I am only about 40-45 minutes from you! I drive through Penrose everytime I go to Colorado Springs
default_biggrin.png

Thanks!!
Awww we could have had a southern Colorado love fest but I moved from there 2 years ago. I lived in between Pueblo and the Springs and I worked in Pueblo. I loved driving at Fountain park, it has neat horse/cart hard packed wide trails.

Awww we could have had a southern Colorado love fest but I moved from there 2 years ago. I lived in between Pueblo and the Springs and I worked in Pueblo. I loved driving at Fountain park, it has neat horse/cart hard packed wide trails.

Awww...that would have been fun
default_smile.png

Hi everyone. My name is Katy and I am a critter-aholic. I have never been without an animal of some sort, lol.

I already have 2 full sized horses and a donkey. I have never, however, had a miniature horse. I am in the process of getting a 1.5 - 2 year old colt, named Batman, and a 5-6 year old mare, named Sarah (although I am thinking that she might become Robin...just because I think it's cuter ;)). They will be here this weekend, probably Saturday.

This is Sarah and Batman last Summer some time...

180885_496896435381_575500381_6358864_2129688_n.jpg

180150_496896820381_575500381_6358867_7720296_n.jpg

This is Batman a week ago when I went out to see them.

180721_498016935381_575500381_6374357_7130268_n.jpg

This is Sarah last week...

167909_498013280381_575500381_6374329_1318439_n.jpg

They could both use a pedicure right now for sure ;)

Batman has not been gelded yet...They told me that he had not dropped yet, so I checked when I went out there to see them. I definitely felt two little bits, so he will be gelded pretty soon after he gets here
default_smile.png
Now, this doesn't mean that he has not already bred Sarah. I didn't get to check her over "down under", as she was a little more reserved, and I didn't want to bug her too much. I will be checking her over more once she gets here. If she is pregnant, I am prepared for that. I can deal with it, should I need to. I have a wireless cam that I used last year to catch my fullsized mare in the act, but the snot snuck her baby out anyway, and I missed it, lol. I have been reading up on red-bag deliveries and educating myself on how to reposition foals should I need to. I feel very confident that I could handle a good bit, but should she turn out to be pregnant, I will be staying in touch with my vet, whom lives a couple of miles down the road from me :D

I currently do not have a shelter in the corral where they will be kept. We have at least a week of nice, warmish weather ahead of us, and I have plans to have someone come out soon and build a fullsized shelter in the corral that will work for the minis, along with my big guys. I do plan to also build a smaller shelter for just the minis that I will keep in my backyard, incase I need to separate them, or move them for some reason. I think I have 2x4s and plywood that I could use to build one, or I am considering one of those Rubbermaid lawnmower sheds with the sliding roof that I read about on here. Does anyone have any experience with them? Would they work okay for 2 minis that are buddied up? I know they have a floor...any issues with it breaking?? Oh, and how hard are they to put together...my husband is working overseas, so I am on my own for all of this
default_smile.png
I have also looked into the calf huts, but no one sells them nearby, and I can't get any of the companies to tell me how much it would be to ship one...

Also, a question on feeding...I have 16 acres of pasture. I have a donkey, Brandy, that I was terrrified to let graze continuously last summer, as I have read that it can make them fat and cause them to founder. She has had no issues at all...does this mean that I might be okay letting my new little guys graze on it too? Should I get them grazing muzzles? We generally don't buy hay in the summer, but if I have to I will...I just would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

If there is anything else that anyone thinks I should know, feel free to post
default_smile.png
I am open to suggestions! Thanks everyone!!

Welcome from Kentucky. I am new to minis and the forum as well. Since I have found this forum I have used it alot to answer my questions, these people are great!!

Thanks! I will have to try really hard to just stick with these two (or three if she is indeed preggo
default_wink.png
) as my hubby actually seems to be content with this setup. It is very odd...and a bit scary, lol.

Latest posts

Back