opinions on these clippers...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockysticksfeatherfarm

Reaction score
I am clipper hunting, I am trying to be frugal. I only have one horse and not positive we will get into showing or not. I just want to be ready to clip this little guy once it's time. It's gotten pretty hot the last few days so I may go ahead and do his head and neck. (I have never clipped a horse before so this will be a whole new experience!) I am wondering about these clippers...

http://www.amazon.com/Andis-21420-Pro-Animal-Detachable-Ceramic/dp/B0009XH6ZA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_20

The reviews sound good but no one mentioned a horse. One reviewer said they used them on their german shepherd and thats some pretty tough hair, much courser than what a mini feels like. I want to be frugal but I also don't want to waste money on something that won't work.

I have a GSD mix, her hair dives me crazy in the summer when the temp hits in the 100s and she has to come inside, i never thought about clipping her, I think she might look funny but I might rather that than the hair everywhere! I have used a furminator on her and got enough fur to cover a large cat in one sitting and then STILL had clumps of hair everywhere!

Just a thought on clipping a dog (no GSD knowledge here, so caveat emptor): some breeds, it will ruin their coat. Shelties come to mind. Check with a first rate GSD breeder first.

Hmmm. Looking at those clippers... but this review would concern me:

"I bought these clippers for our poodle/schnauzer mix pup. Don't expect
to sheer through fur like a hot knife through butter. You have to be
patient and slow which is fine if your dog is willing to be patient too.
The clippers do get warm when you start using them, but if you have
the gaurds on then it won't harm your animal. Overall this is okay for
an occasional between the groomers cut."

I am a professional dog groomer and a horse owner.

Those clippers are not powerful enough for any strenuous clipping. You could probably get the use out of them for a head and neck barn clip, but that's about it.

As far as shaving a GSD I have done many, however keep in mind you can ruin the integrity of the coat. Breeds that are double coated such as GSDs are also more prone (but not always!) to alopecia after clipping. The hair will grow back patchy.. Carding/lightly furminating the dog after clipping will help this -- it will release any blocked hair follicles. Also, if shaved- remember protection from elements such as sun. -- same for horses too.

I prefer these clippers (A5 blades sold separate) :

http://www.petedge.com/product/Andis-AGC-Super-2-Speed-Clipper/44077.uts

A cheaper, but effective clipper (A5 blades sold separate) --

http://www.petedge.com/product/Andis-Plus-AG-Single-Speed-Clipper/43010.uts

For horses I body clip with a #10 against the hair. For a GSD I clip a #10 with the hair or a #7F with the hair.

http://www.petedge.com/product/Andis-UltraEdge-Clipper-Blade-Size-10/43017.uts

http://www.petedge.com/product/Andis-UltraEdge-Clipper-Blade-Size-7FC/43026.uts

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! There are so many different clippers out there it's so hard to know... Looks like I won't get away with spending less than $100. My dog is a GSD/collie mix but has a short coat. I think I will stick to extra baths and maybe try a baby oil technique I read somewhere (actually was for horses) when you leave it on over night and all the loose fur comes out. I would of course have to crate her for this.... Have you ever heard of something like that? I need to try and get her over her fear of the vacuum! I would give anything if she would just let me vacuum her!

I have an Andis ACG 2 speed clippers that has been fantastic. Clips great through the furry mini's, easy to change blades, easy to handle. I know you are trying to be frugal but if you spend 65 on a less than par clippers that burns up in one year and doesn't clip worth a darn what good does that do you? When you can spend 145-160 on the Andis ACG 2 speed and it will clip for years to come...just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Edited to add: I do not clip to show just for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't cover your dog in baby oil. There are many products specifically made to reduce (not end) shedding. Espree makes a "Shed Less" conditioner I recommend as does Furminator. Let the product sit for 10-15 minutes and rinse.

The key is good nutrition and regular brushing. Using the appropriate tool. My favorite is a metal comb, that way I can feel for mats and know when the comb glides through the coat that the pet is free of tangles and excessive undercoat.

If you have a Petco nearby they have a self dog wash station.. Other smaller pet stores may offer them too, call and ask (around here we have several) there you are able to use the tub and force blow dryer.. Some of our vets that offer grooming also have this option. The force blow dryer will help loosen that undercoat and make brushing easier while reducing shedding.

There is controversy about shaving particular breeds, but I am not opposed to this as long as no harm is done to the dog and the dog is protected from elements. For years I kept my Golden Retreiver shaved and I currently shave my long haired Dachshund occasionally.

I have an Andis ACG 2 speed clippers that has been fantastic. Clips great through the furry mini's, easy to change blades, easy to handle. I know you are trying to be frugal but if you spend 65 on a less than par clippers that burns up in one year and doesn't clip worth a darn what good does that do you? When you can spend 145-160 on the Andis ACG 2 speed and it will clip for years to come...just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Edited to add: I do not clip to show just for myself.
I have these also--in fact several sets. Love them and they will cut everything on a horse from the winter fuzzies to the fine stuff for showing. You won't be disappointed with them unless you get a bad set (I haven't but can't count it out) Just be sure to change and clean blades often to keep every thing from getting hot.

Latest posts

Back