Hi, From Colorado! New to forum and miniature horses :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebeq

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Katy and I am a critter-aholic. I have never been without an animal of some sort, lol.

I already have 2 full sized horses and a donkey. I have never, however, had a miniature horse. I am in the process of getting a 1.5 - 2 year old colt, named Batman, and a 5-6 year old mare, named Sarah (although I am thinking that she might become Robin...just because I think it's cuter ;)). They will be here this weekend, probably Saturday.

This is Sarah and Batman last Summer some time...

180885_496896435381_575500381_6358864_2129688_n.jpg

180150_496896820381_575500381_6358867_7720296_n.jpg

This is Batman a week ago when I went out to see them.

180721_498016935381_575500381_6374357_7130268_n.jpg

This is Sarah last week...

167909_498013280381_575500381_6374329_1318439_n.jpg

They could both use a pedicure right now for sure ;)

Batman has not been gelded yet...They told me that he had not dropped yet, so I checked when I went out there to see them. I definitely felt two little bits, so he will be gelded pretty soon after he gets here
default_smile.png
Now, this doesn't mean that he has not already bred Sarah. I didn't get to check her over "down under", as she was a little more reserved, and I didn't want to bug her too much. I will be checking her over more once she gets here. If she is pregnant, I am prepared for that. I can deal with it, should I need to. I have a wireless cam that I used last year to catch my fullsized mare in the act, but the snot snuck her baby out anyway, and I missed it, lol. I have been reading up on red-bag deliveries and educating myself on how to reposition foals should I need to. I feel very confident that I could handle a good bit, but should she turn out to be pregnant, I will be staying in touch with my vet, whom lives a couple of miles down the road from me :D

I currently do not have a shelter in the corral where they will be kept. We have at least a week of nice, warmish weather ahead of us, and I have plans to have someone come out soon and build a fullsized shelter in the corral that will work for the minis, along with my big guys. I do plan to also build a smaller shelter for just the minis that I will keep in my backyard, incase I need to separate them, or move them for some reason. I think I have 2x4s and plywood that I could use to build one, or I am considering one of those Rubbermaid lawnmower sheds with the sliding roof that I read about on here. Does anyone have any experience with them? Would they work okay for 2 minis that are buddied up? I know they have a floor...any issues with it breaking?? Oh, and how hard are they to put together...my husband is working overseas, so I am on my own for all of this
default_smile.png
I have also looked into the calf huts, but no one sells them nearby, and I can't get any of the companies to tell me how much it would be to ship one...

Also, a question on feeding...I have 16 acres of pasture. I have a donkey, Brandy, that I was terrrified to let graze continuously last summer, as I have read that it can make them fat and cause them to founder. She has had no issues at all...does this mean that I might be okay letting my new little guys graze on it too? Should I get them grazing muzzles? We generally don't buy hay in the summer, but if I have to I will...I just would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

If there is anything else that anyone thinks I should know, feel free to post
default_smile.png
I am open to suggestions! Thanks everyone!!

I just realized that I am apparently male
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

I need to figure out how to change that...

Welcome to the group.

If your donkey is ok grazing your pastures, in all likelihood the minis will be too, but I'd take it slow and keep an eye on them to be sure. [i don't graze my minis extensively; our grass is great for fattening cows, not so great for keeping horses looking like horses. They get some pasture time, just not 24/7.]

I don't know if I'd trust one of the rubbermaid sheds to be sturdy enough to house livestock, they are meant to contain inanimate objects, not living, often destructive animals.

They are both very nice looking. Congrats!

I just realized that I am apparently male
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

I need to figure out how to change that...
You must have figured it out, as your profile now says female.

Welcome to the group.

If your donkey is ok grazing your pastures, in all likelihood the minis will be too, but I'd take it slow and keep an eye on them to be sure. [i don't graze my minis extensively; our grass is great for fattening cows, not so great for keeping horses looking like horses. They get some pasture time, just not 24/7.]

I don't know if I'd trust one of the rubbermaid sheds to be sturdy enough to house livestock, they are meant to contain inanimate objects, not living, often destructive animals.

They are both very nice looking. Congrats!

Thanks! I don't think I will be leaving them out 24/7 anyway...you know, mountain predators and such. I would rather put them in the corral at night if I can. And for now, they won't be turned out unless I am out watching them, since I don't fully trust my fencing or that they will stay in it at this point, lol. I will be keeping a close eye on them for a while.

Thanks for the input on the shed. I saw someone on here in one of the threads that used one, but I wasn't too sure. I will probably just build one
default_smile.png

You must have figured it out, as your profile now says female.
Yep, it took a bit, but I figured it out, lol. Thanks!

Welcome from Southern Illinois!
default_saludando.gif
Cute fur kids! You have come to the right place for answers to your questions. You sound prepared for these awesome lil horses!!! Enjoy and again welcome!
default_biggrin.png

Welcome from Southern Illinois!
default_saludando.gif
Cute fur kids! You have come to the right place for answers to your questions. You sound prepared for these awesome lil horses!!! Enjoy and again welcome!
default_biggrin.png

Thanks! I will be posting way more pictures of my little guys once they get here
default_smile.png
I have a tendency to take way too many photos of my animals...

I just wanted to say hi from Italy and welcome to this wonderful mini world.
saludando.gif
Batman and Sarah are very cute.

The people on this forum are very kind and knowledgeable and always willing to help. I have learnt loads, I am new to the mini world too and believe me they are nothing like their big relatives. I groomed for an International show jumper for 15 years and I thought i had seen most things but my little lot always soon to surprise me with something new.
new_shocked.gif

One thing I learnt fast was that I can't put my mini's near my big boys as the mini's have a VERY large attitude and get themselves into big trouble.

I don't use muzzles on mine but I let them graze a limited amount of grass by dividing the field. I use the portable plastic electric fence posts and move them forward each few days.

Renee

Hello There from Southern Maryland and Welcome!

I would build a small run in shed and not use the rubberamaid shed as they may punch a hole in the floor, they tend to paw and stomp on anything that makes noise, so that plastic floor would turn into a big ole drum.
default_saludando.gif

I just wanted to say hi from Italy and welcome to this wonderful mini world.
saludando.gif
Batman and Sarah are very cute.

The people on this forum are very kind and knowledgeable and always willing to help. I have learnt loads, I am new to the mini world too and believe me they are nothing like their big relatives. I groomed for an International show jumper for 15 years and I thought i had seen most things but my little lot always soon to surprise me with something new.
new_shocked.gif

One thing I learnt fast was that I can't put my mini's near my big boys as the mini's have a VERY large attitude and get themselves into big trouble.

I don't use muzzles on mine but I let them graze a limited amount of grass by dividing the field. I use the portable plastic electric fence posts and move them forward each few days.

Renee
Thanks! I plan to introduce them to my big guys very slowly and only when supervised at first. It will be at least a week or two before I even try to turn them out together, and I will be right there, just in case.

Tell me more about these portable plastic electric fence posts...are they easy to move? Do they come with an equally portable fence charger? This might be something I would invest in...

Thanks again!!

Welcome from sunny (but not so warm right now) Arizona! You've come to the right place for all your questions. Every one may have a different answer but over all thats a good thing because you can use a combination or pick and choose which to do, but in the end you wind up learning so much. I love it :D

As for the rubbermaid sheds... I had considered it but they are pretty flimsy for horses. If you're looking for a shed to use I would stick with the wooden ones (the kind that sometimes look like little barns) but make sure you have enough ventilation for summer otherwise they get pretty warm. They're not too complicated to put together and I know there's a man here who advertises on craigslist that he'll do it for you (his price seems reasonable too)

Keeping minis with the big boys depends on the mini and the big horse's personalities. We have 4 minis and 5 biggies. 3 of our minis can go with 2 of our biggies as they're gentle, older, and have always politely tolerated even the brattiest of behavior. I still wouldn't leave them unattended with the biggies as sometimes it just takes one accidental but well aimed kick for heart ache to happen
default_sad.png
Our other biggies are far too rough for the minis and Kinson, our little stud, is too little and thinks he's at least clydesdale size, so he has to be kept away from the biggies or else he starts fights
default_new_shocked.gif
(and has won in some cases, ugh!)

Hopefully your little girl isn't pregnant, but both Batman and Sarah are very cute!! Are they amha or amhr at all? Do you plan on showing? It can be a lot of fun if you do!

Hello from Indiana
default_saludando.gif
if you're a critter - aholic you've come to the right place,lol.
I definitely am a critter-aholic, so that is great to hear! :D

Welcome from sunny (but not so warm right now) Arizona! You've come to the right place for all your questions. Every one may have a different answer but over all thats a good thing because you can use a combination or pick and choose which to do, but in the end you wind up learning so much. I love it :D

As for the rubbermaid sheds... I had considered it but they are pretty flimsy for horses. If you're looking for a shed to use I would stick with the wooden ones (the kind that sometimes look like little barns) but make sure you have enough ventilation for summer otherwise they get pretty warm. They're not too complicated to put together and I know there's a man here who advertises on craigslist that he'll do it for you (his price seems reasonable too)

Good to know
default_smile.png
Thanks! I will probably just end up building one myself. It will be a good project for my 5 year old and I to work on together ;)

Keeping minis with the big boys depends on the mini and the big horse's personalities. We have 4 minis and 5 biggies. 3 of our minis can go with 2 of our biggies as they're gentle, older, and have always politely tolerated even the brattiest of behavior. I still wouldn't leave them unattended with the biggies as sometimes it just takes one accidental but well aimed kick for heart ache to happen
default_sad.png
Our other biggies are far too rough for the minis and Kinson, our little stud, is too little and thinks he's at least clydesdale size, so he has to be kept away from the biggies or else he starts fights
default_new_shocked.gif
(and has won in some cases, ugh!)

I will keep this in mind. I have one 12 year old Cremello gelding who is pretty lazy and doesn't really play a whole lot. When he first got here, he acted like he had never seen a donkey before. It was great! He would run and then turn around really fast and look at Brandy like, "what they heck are you and why are you following me?!?". Brandy (the donkey) can be playful, but she is pretty tolerant. She used to mess with the goat a little bit when I had her, but she never got rough or anything. She LOVES my Great Dane/Mastiff mix. They are best buddies. Finally, I have my yearling gelding, Scotch who also can be playful, but never really gets rough with anyone except for Brandy when they are playing. I will certainly keep an eye on them though
default_smile.png

Hopefully your little girl isn't pregnant, but both Batman and Sarah are very cute!! Are they amha or amhr at all? Do you plan on showing? It can be a lot of fun if you do!
Yes, it would be better if she wasn't pregnant, but if she is, I will be excited anyway and would certainly plan on keeping said baby ;) I do not think that they are registered, but I don't plan on showing or breeding, so that is fine with me. I mostly just want a couple of pets to love one and possibly let my boys ride. The mare has been ridden by little kids before and my 5 year old is a scrawny little guy at not even 40lbs, so I think he would be okay being led around on her
default_smile.png

Thanks again for the help!

Welcome from Western WA
default_saludando.gif

CUTE minis!

Editing to add - cute kid, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I plan to introduce them to my big guys very slowly and only when supervised at first. It will be at least a week or two before I even try to turn them out together, and I will be right there, just in case.

Tell me more about these portable plastic electric fence posts...are they easy to move? Do they come with an equally portable fence charger? This might be something I would invest in...

Thanks again!!
Please be very careful with mini's and big horses, as I said they can be very arrogant and it only takes one kick from a big horse to do serious damage. I personally only let them see each other but I have about 2 meters that divide the fields so that they can't even touch noses. They run up and down the fence and play but at a safe distance. You can just see in this photo.

group003.jpg

By reneejewer at 2010-06-08

I can't find any photos of the portable posts to show you but I can do it tomorrow. They are very easy to put into place as long as the ground isn't too hard and I have a portable fence charger that lasts about a year and it costs about €25 a year for a new battery. It takes me about 20 minutes to set up a fence and if the kids help 5 minutes.

Welcome from Western WA
default_saludando.gif

CUTE minis!

Editing to add - cute kid, too!
Thanks! But, that kid isn't mine ;) That one is the little girl that currently belongs to Batman and Sarah...she was definitely a great little girl. I can only hope that my 5 year old boy is that respectful when he gets older, lol.

Please be very careful with mini's and big horses, as I said they can be very arrogant and it only takes one kick from a big horse to do serious damage. I personally only let them see each other but I have about 2 meters that divide the fields so that they can't even touch noses. They run up and down the fence and play but at a safe distance. You can just see in this photo.

group003.jpg

By reneejewer at 2010-06-08

I can't find any photos of the portable posts to show you but I can do it tomorrow. They are very easy to put into place as long as the ground isn't too hard and I have a portable fence charger that lasts about a year and it costs about €25 a year for a new battery. It takes me about 20 minutes to set up a fence and if the kids help 5 minutes.
Thanks a bunch! If I do let them out together at all, I will be sure to take it slowly and watch them very closely. I don't want anything to happen to these little guys! Don't worry
default_smile.png

And I would love to see pics when you get a chance! I really am going to see about looking into this, because it sounds like it would be very usefull for my situation. How tall are they? Might they work for larger horses too?? I would love to be able to rotate my animals between areas of the pasture!

I would love to see pics when you get a chance! I really am going to see about looking into this, because it sounds like it would be very usefull for my situation. How tall are they? Might they work for larger horses too?? I would love to be able to rotate my animals between areas of the pasture!
I use them with big horses too, you just adjust the height of the tape. Foe the mini's I put 4 rows but for the big guys just 3 up higher. I will measure a take a photo tomorrow morning. In the mean time check out this link.

http://www.ukcountrystore.co.uk/acatalog/Electric-Fence-Posts.html

Welcome from the U.P. of Michigan. You will love this website!!! Very helpful people. I have two minis- one that is in training to pull a cart
default_new_multi.gif
and a new gelding I'm getting in a couple of months (can't wait). You have very cute minis !!! Nancy

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of minis!
default_saludando.gif

You're going to really enjoy your new little horses!

Let's see......

Never give minis Quest wormer.

Letting minis be turned out with big horses is a accident waiting to happen. I've heard so many horror stories about the most gentle big horse that hurt or killed a mini in play.

Just trying to help.
default_yes.gif

I use them with big horses too, you just adjust the height of the tape. Foe the mini's I put 4 rows but for the big guys just 3 up higher. I will measure a take a photo tomorrow morning. In the mean time check out this link.

http://www.ukcountry...ence-Posts.html
Cool...thanks
default_smile.png
I was looking at this one, but I will be looking into the tape as well.

http://www.jeffersequine.com/smartfence-system/camid/EQU/cp/XI-SB/cn/260/

Welcome from the U.P. of Michigan. You will love this website!!! Very helpful people. I have two minis- one that is in training to pull a cart
default_new_multi.gif
and a new gelding I'm getting in a couple of months (can't wait). You have very cute minis !!! Nancy
Thanks!! I already love this website :D

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of minis!
default_saludando.gif

You're going to really enjoy your new little horses!

Let's see......

Never give minis Quest wormer.

This is a good one...so is this a specific type of wormer? Or just a brand?

Letting minis be turned out with big horses is a accident waiting to happen. I've heard so many horror stories about the most gentle big horse that hurt or killed a mini in play.

That is what I am reading...kind of disappointing, but I will live if they cannot be turned out together...

Just trying to help.
default_yes.gif
Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back