For those of you who have goats?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raine Ranch Minis

Reaction score
I feed mine sweet feed and crushed corn. They also get 24/7 grass in summer and hay in winter.

So what do yours get?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now mine are getting free choice wheat hay. And SureFed Intimidator pellets.

When we start preping the young ones for show, they will go on alfalfa and the pellets.

Have you researched feeding goats? I know that they cannot eat a lot of horse-type grains or they will die. I believe it leaves toxins in the liver or something like that.

My son had two nice goats that lived for a few years and then one died and then the other and the vet said it was because of the grain. I think there is a special grain made just for goats. Or, if you give them a non-goat grain I think you have to feed extremely small amounts each day.

I am not an expert on this... so maybe you ARE feeding a special goat sweet feed. But we used to raise goats 35 years ago, and we didn't give them any horse grain as I remember a vet telling us not to.

Perhaps the "real" goat experts here will show up and tell me I just don't know what I'm talking about! LOL! And that could be... just going by what the vet told my son about grain.

Have you researched feeding goats? I know that they cannot eat a lot of horse-type grains or they will die. I believe it leaves toxins in the liver or something like that.

My son had two nice goats that lived for a few years and then one died and then the other and the vet said it was because of the grain. I think there is a special grain made just for goats. Or, if you give them a non-goat grain I think you have to feed extremely small amounts each day.

I am not an expert on this... so maybe you ARE feeding a special goat sweet feed. But we used to raise goats 35 years ago, and we didn't give them any horse grain as I remember a vet telling us not to.

Perhaps the "real" goat experts here will show up and tell me I just don't know what I'm talking about! LOL! And that could be... just going by what the vet told my son about grain.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe its the higher levels of copper in horse feed that causes goats problems (sheep are affected the same as goats).

Actually, goats need copper whereas too much will kill a sheep, so I don't buy feed for goats AND sheep. If anything, I buy feed strictly for goats or goats and cattle(who need copper, too)- but not the medicated kind for cattle. Also, loose mineral as opposed to block mineral for goats or beef cattle on pasture(non-medicated)is a must. Right now my goaties are on pasture 24/7 with no grain (but they get treats- bit of grain, fruit/veggie scraps, cookies
default_smile.png
). During the fall and winter, I start back on alfalfa pellets and goat feed with hay and the occassional downed tree branch. Also free choice loose mineral and baking soda.

For our Nigerian Dwarf we feed sweet feed for goats (get it at southern states), they have free choice of minerals, a small dish of baking soda and the bucks/wethers get ammonium chloride to prevent bladder/kidney stones. They also have access to the horses' mineral and salt block. There is plenty of grass for them to eat now, but they are given orchard grass in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
We feed ours goat grain (do not let horses eat this) or all stock grain + hay 2x a day.

I just got an alpine milking goat a while back and the research that I did says not to feed them corn as it will effect their liver. Also they can founder as well. My goat eats hay, grass and when I milk her, she get alphalfa cubes that I break into small pieces. I also try to cut down poplar branches with lots of leaves (she will run me over for it). She also has access to a salt block, the one that has the copper in it. I have also read that baking soda is good for them.

I also have a goat question, how do you trim their feet? And do all goats hate dogs? Goaty McGoat attacked my dog and ended up loosing part of her ear. She hates any dog that comes around. Other than that, she loves me and will not leave my side when I am outside with her, also she comes running across the yard to greet me when I get home every night.

Here is a picture of Goaty McGoat
default_smile.png

image001-7.jpg

also have a goat question, how do you trim their feet?
One of the best websites I have found for goat info is Fiasco Farm, I will include the link here for how to trim hooves:

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/hoof-trim-rf.htm

And do all goats hate dogs? Goaty McGoat attacked my dog and ended up loosing part of her ear. She hates any dog that comes around.
Yes, most goats do not like dogs, and will often get aggressive with them. Think about it, goats are prey animals, dogs are predator animals, it's only natural they would try to defend themselves. Not all goats dislike dogs or will go after them, but some breeds are more likely to than others, including Alpines and Pygmy Goats too. Some of my Nigerians will as well. You can get them used to dogs on the other side of the fence, but I wouldn't expect them ever be best friends!

I am breeding so I feed my goats differently that I would if they were only pets and not growing/lactating/pregnant, etc. They get a local milled Dairy Goat Grain mix it's 14% or 16% protein they get 3/4-1 cup each twice a day. I personally don't like to feed medicated goat grain (which is the "stuff" in goat feed or cattle feed that is very bad for horses). They have free-choice access to pasture (small paddock), salt block, mineral block and baking soda. They get grass hay twice a day now too, because we are so dry there isn't as much for them to eat in the pasture. For treats they love the horse's peppermint treats, but also get animal crackers, dry pasta, any snack foods that are stale or we didn't like (crackers, corn chips, etc), raisins, and leaves from the walnut tree they LOVE them!

Dad feeds his a mixture of sweet mix and adds in corn, spelt and beet pulp. He recently started them on the beet pulp as he is prepping to sell them all, and they are getting FAT........

i feed my kids a pelleted feed formulated specifically for goats. i've read and been told by several breeders that even the "all stock" feed isn't the best for goats as it contains too much molasses.

as for treats, my goats will all climb up my legs (and i have the bruises to prove it!) for marshmallows. they will all be resting or running around and playing but if they see me outside, everything comes to a screeching halt and they make a mad dash to the gate to beg.

dogs...all of my goats are so used to the dogs, they don't give them a second thought. took this short video yesterday afternoon...

Trimming the feet is pretty easy - compared to a horse. All you need is a hoof pick with a brush attachment, goat hoof clippers, and a rasp (not necessary but good for smoothing off the edges). Just clip of the excess hoof growth- its pretty obvious.

Trimming the feet is pretty easy - compared to a horse. All you need is a hoof pick with a brush attachment, goat hoof clippers, and a rasp (not necessary but good for smoothing off the edges). Use the pick and brush to get rid of any excess dust and dirt-- it WILL dull your clippers. Just clip of the excess hoof growth, usually found on the side of the hoof- its pretty obvious.

Thanks Guys!!!!! I will try getting some goat feed. Also thank you for explaining feet triming!! I had wondered if you could feed goats beet pulp.

Latest posts

Back