Missouri

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimson Rose

Positive Reinforcement Pony Trainer
Reaction score
My family and I will be moving to Missouri to start a church, and I won’t be able to have miniature horses again for quite sometime, but I have already been warned about the grass up there. Here in south east Texas we have almost perfect conditions for “safe” grass, and my current two are out 24/7. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with grazing and horse keeping in Missouri? Should I be really worried if I am able to get into miniature horses again? I have also been told that American Shetlands have a much higher metabolism, and aren’t at quite the risk of laminitis? What are your experiences and thoughts?

@Crimson Rose I can't answer for regular miniatures, but I know several breeders with Shetland Miniatures up there and I don't think they have any trouble with the grass as their breeding horses are pastured full time. It's hard to find the "bottom" on a Shetland. Plus if they are used to being on pasture full time, they start to be self regulating and not eat all the time. (At least mine did in Texas) It's easier for them than an easy keeper mini who basically has to only look at grass to start getting round lol. Obviously if they get terribly overweight, they are as prone to founder as any other breed of horse. But on a whole, it's hard to get them that way and good grass really helps fill them in. Now, if you were in Central Arkansas you would just have no grass at any time of year. 🤣

@Crimson Rose I can't answer for regular miniatures, but I know several breeders with Shetland Miniatures up there and I don't think they have any trouble with the grass as their breeding horses are pastured full time. It's hard to find the "bottom" on a Shetland. Plus if they are used to being on pasture full time, they start to be self regulating and not eat all the time. (At least mine did in Texas) It's easier for them than an easy keeper mini who basically has to only look at grass to start getting round lol. Obviously if they get terribly overweight, they are as prone to founder as any other breed of horse. But on a whole, it's hard to get them that way and good grass really helps fill them in. Now, if you were in Central Arkansas you would just have no grass at any time of year. 🤣
This has been my experience so far as well, and also another reason why I got into American Shetlands in the first place. I love how they look, but also how much healthier they seem. We don’t have hardly any grass right now due to an almost three months without rain, but we normally have plenty of rain, and my pastures are mostly shaded all throughout the day.

Latest posts

Back