For those of you who DO NOT show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to show my minis, but no longer do for a variety of reasons. As many others stated, the politics and attitudes are a turn off. I hate all the makeup that is used as well. I remember a show I went to last year as a spectator, and watched a prominent person using a sharpie marker as eyeliner on their horse. I thought that was disgusting....ever hear of blood poisoning?? Went to a show 2 weeks ago where there were a number of fake tails used (full sized equines). Can't people realize you can tell the tail is fake? It is so blatant to me that it is unreal.

Here is something refreshing - showing alpacas. I work at an alpaca farm and showed them this year for the first time. No clipping, no bathing - just straight from the pasture. They are judged on their conformation and their fiber. To me, that is a true showing of an animal. They are not covered in make up and it is so much easier showing without all that fuss. That said, I am going to stick with showing the alpacas!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

"For those of you who do not show, what are your reasons for not showing? Is it money, time constrants, or like me you find it a little dry?"

I am not showing for several reason....

First is the cost. I just don't have the money.

Second is I don't have weekends off work.

Third~ my miniatures are not registered. They are fun pets and companions, but not showy. I do normally show my Tennessee Walker at a couple FOSH (Friends of the Sound Horse) sanctioned shows every year including the Oregon State Fair. But I am not this year because I am using my TWH show money to buy a cart and harness for my miniatures. So who knows...maybe in a year or two I will have my little guys driving well enough that I will enter a open pleasure type show. I doubt it, but I won't say never.

In the 80's I spent summers working at a prominent farm and traveling the Morgan/Saddlehorse show circuit as a groom. I got an inside view of the show world: both the good, that bad and the politics involved. SO I know that class A breed show are not MY thing, but I do enjoys the pleasure shows with my TWH. I also really enjoyed watching the CDE on the 4th of July @ Inovale in OR. So I think there can be a venue for anyone to enjoy showing if they have the desire. Or if someone does not want to show that is there prerogative.

My mini's may never do any more than warm my heart with their tiny whinys, or make me bust out in belly laughs watching them buck and spronk around. If they never win a ribbon they are still priceless to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been on BOTH sides of this situation. I began showing horses in the '70s(QH, then PtHA, APHA)-then minis, beginning in '85, the year after I got my first ones.

I never showed 'heavily'; was raising kids, couldn't be gone that much, couldn't afford to--and honestly, always felt I wouldn't ENJOY it if it became too frequent!

I enjoyed it while I did it; when I began to NOT enjoy it as much, I cut back. Although I have not TOTALLY lost interest in showing per se, I no longer BREED show, because of: overall costs, disgust with the politics and increasingly extreme 'practices' that seem 'needed' to do well-and that I just didn't enjoy most of it anymore!

I turned my back on the stock horse breeds when 'peanut rolling' got established, and have NEVER been one BIT regretful--no way on God's green earth am I making a horse 'go' like that!! I came to increasingly dislike what is being placed on the driving rail in breed shows--again, have walked away. I don't need it.

One thing I MUST say-- in my experience, when most people with miniatures say 'showing', they mean 'halter' classes. Such classes may have their usefulness--in a 'perfect' world, it is horses with the BEST aspects of conformation that 'should' do best there...but anyone who states that the halter show ring is where you 'should' be to learn 'what horses are the best', apparently hasn't been to a QH halter class lately--where overdeveloped, muscle-bound TRAVESTIES win, with their upright pasterns and tiny feet...as someone who began w/ the QH in the '50s, it is SICKENING to see where they have 'gone'....My point is--the breed 'halter' classes are often NOT where one should go to learn about proper equine conformation, for mankind, in its smug surety that it is 'always right', has in MANY instances done more harm than good, and where it is MOST evident is in the breed halter ring!!!

In short--there is NOTHING wrong with not 'showing'! What would be 'wrong' would be to fail to always work to properly learn and educate oneself, and if breeding, to TRULY strive to produce an animal that is conformationally correct, athletic, and suited both physically and tempermentally to its work!

Margo

Brandi - I want to apologize for getting off topic in your thread - so I am going to answer the question you asked. I have several reasons I don't show at this time

1) I can't be in front of a crowd - I would be way to nervous. So, I would have to hire a trainer and I would have to trust that trainer 100%. That would be extremely expensive and for some reason - I tend to spoil my grandbabies..lol. So, allot of my extra cash goes to them..lol.

2) I am only 43, but I had my children at a very young age. My daughter is a cosmetologist(sp) and a young mother. She loves being a stay at home mom, so she only works part time and will only leave her kids with grandparents or their dad. I am so thankful for that - So, at times a young couple with kids needs a little help. My son is still in college, but works - but they are times he needs a little help.

My husband and I have two checking accounts together - One is for us and one is for the horses. For some unknown reason - all of the above normally comes out of our horse account...LOL. - So, at this time showing is not possible at this time because of " money" issues.

Another reason - my husband or my children have no desire to go to the shows. My husband is also a work a holic - drives me crazy sometimes. So, for him to take off work to go to a show is out of the question at this time. Now, my hope for the future is my granddaughter - She loves ALL animals and has to visit the minis almost everyday. Now, if she would want to show - you couldn't keep my husband away from the show ring...LOL. So, showing is not out of the question for the future. We will do with our grandchildren what we did with our children - We will encourage them to try everything - but, they will not be pushed. So, if my granddaughter decided to show that will be her decision. We may try it at a young age ( not right now - she is too young I think) but, if she loves it - we will continued if she doesn't she will never have to show again.

Another reason - I love letting my horses be horses - I don't want them stalled all the time - I have heard horror story's of what some trainers will do to win - I will not put one of my horses through that. I realize they are some GREAT trainers out there. That is why I would have to know what is happening to my horse day by day - I would need trust in the Trainer I would have to hire.

I think the most important reason I do not show - Where I live - Shows are too far away. My husband supports me with the miniature horses and he would go if I asked - but, where the shows are located in my area - it would mean him taking off work - and he just won't do it. I can't blame him - his job is his passion. My miniatures are my passion - but, showing is not at the top of my list.

I have started getting the itch lately to buy a show horse. But, until I know 100% that is what I want to do. I will not be showing - so, I am not saying it may not be in my future.

Right now I am very happy with doing what I am doing - And that is just having fun with the miniatures.

Last edited:
We do not like to show but have started attending the local fairs because we see it as a marketing opportunity.

It may sound like "sour grapes" but I think there are a lot of politics and favoritism in the little bit of showing that I have seen.

We are not as experienced as others who we show against so that is likely most of our problem, however there have been some pretty "suspect" "First Place" winners, if you are going by the "Rule Book".

I show because it's a chance to market a bit and I take the outcome of the classes with a "grain of salt"

Finally, the local fairs are likely not anything compared to other types of shows, so as far as professionally showing our horses goes..................we don't and we won't....

I believe a discussion calls for both sides of the coin to be evalutated.
Absolutely! If only one side is presented, honestly, it's not even a discussion in my opinion
thumbs-up2.gif

Additionally, to imply "you" choose to love on your horses over ribbons makes it seem like "we" don't do both. I don't think anyone loves their horses more than I love mine. Just as much? I'm sure many of you do. MORE? Nope, I don't think so...

I haven't shown because of time and the expenses as others have mentioned. I am pursuing what is required to show since I may attempt a show in the future.

That said, I know I will not be very likely to compete in halter, because I'm not a beauty queen, I have no desire to razor, goop, shine, dye, gel, sand/buff, polish, etc my horses. To me it is waaay too much glamour, I put make-up on myself maybe once or twice a year, if that, and I know wouldn't enjoy doing it to my horses. It sounds exhausting before you even get in the ring!

I'm also interested in horses that have beauty and function, yes I want correct conformation, but I want a horse that can go out in the field to drive for fun, so it has usability outside of the show ring, and the photos I see of winning horses makes me question if they have any function outside of the arena.

I'm learning more about CDE's on this forum, and I like what I read! I think that is the direction I will most likely end up, but I do want to try out the breed shows as well, even if it's only halter obstacle or something like that just so I can say I did it!

I need to go check out these CDE's it sounds like
default_yes.gif
Many people have mentioned them
default_smile.png

Brandi--today's show was heading into an afternoon of boredom--UNTIL Mercy's Mom came to our rescue and needed Kennedy and I to lend a hand. She made the day for us. Everyone was so friendly and helpful--it was fun.

But if sure didn't give me an itch to bring a horse of my own. IF I ever did--it'd be in the classes where there's action. We saw a versitility class for the first time--that was cool.

Funny--there are no spectators at these shows--well, except me. I'm often the only one there just to watch.

Karla,

I would probably have fun helping get someone's horse ready for them
default_yes.gif
I was one of the very few spectators at the Santa Ana show last year too
default_biggrin.png

I haven't read the replies here...

But Brandi, if you are showing your own horses ( or even other peoples) and you have out in all the hard slog, and you do well in that ring...Oh Gosh there is nothing better!

I re-live my awesome show moments by thinking about them often and it just fills my heart.

I remember at our 2007 National show, I was in the supreme line up with my yearling filly that I had brought on from a scraggy wild thing that didn't know what grain was when I got her. That filly showed her heart out for me and standing on the end of her lead was just the most awesome thing. I was so proud of her and loved her so much, to see her doing her absolute utter best for me was incredible. And when we were called out as the winners....well there is just nothing else like it.

So, I know showing isn't for everyone and it can be tedious at times, heck Ive said it myself half the time theres nothing nicer than to be done for the day and to pull up a comfy chair and watch everybody else out there sweating! But if you truly get to experience it like so many of us have, you will change your mind.

Anyway, I love showing and I wish everybody could get a taste of it as it should be.

Hi Brandi, I'll answer your question and attempt to say on topic for you;

I don't show because its too inconvenient

I have no desire to get up in the middle of the night and load horses up in a trailer

and drive all over creation out of state for a rated show. ugh, I hate traveling.

I have no desire to wear show clothes and sweat to death in them either. Gimmee shorts and tee shirt.

I have other priorities more important to tend to.

That being said Brandi, I have showed my brains out for many years showing QH and other breeds and LOVE shows. I loved the ring and yes it does help you keep on top of what is going on with your breed. You can see where you are screwing up, go home and work on it. You learn.

Showing is what you make it win or loose and it was always fun in my life. When the boys came along that was

the icing on the cake because they loved to get out there and ride their horses in the shows too.

It was a family affair and even the Hus rode his gelding in pleasure classes and haltered him as well and we always could bring the family dog.

Any given weekend, there was either a local show to go to or a rated show close by where you could show for a day and go back home after your classes. Rated shows were as close as 10 minutes down our road or run down Tampa an hour away, show out of the trailer if we want, and be back home in time for dinner. We did not have to travel all across the country and leave the state for a rated show like in miniatures. This state where I live is down to one show a year now I think and that one is a couple good hours away (slower going for us driving in the mountains) and you have to camp there for the weekend. There is also no one I trust to take care of the horses left behind. Brandi, I'm not going to stick everyone out with a round bail and tub of water, cross my fingers and hope they are still in tact when we get back home 2 days later. We also run a business, Hus works most Saturdays and cannot take off for a show whenever we want to either. We just can't drop things and leave to go showing.

However, and there is always a "however" this is just my personal opinion: I do think it is a good idea for a breeder to show an example of what they produce on their farm. You do learn what's out there winning and why so like showing the big guys, you can go home and make adjustments. You might know what your horses can do and what their capabilities are at home and that is good. But others might need to see them in action I feel if you are breeding (sorry I know you didn't want to bring up breeding here). I did make a small attempt to campaign my stallion Nick when I first bought him and a couple others but that backfired fast because my kids were just not interested in going to mini shows at all and it would be no fun without them participating. Since I am a mom first I just chucked that idea completely for things the whole family would enjoy instead with no regrets. Sure I have a few horses I'd like to see out there in the ring so I may or may not pursue sending sending a couple out with a trainer next season depending on what happens around here next. So Brandi, I say to you and others that have not experienced the show ring, I know showing doesn't appeal to many but "don't knock it till you try it" (and I know you aren't knocking it per-say) because you may be pleasantly surprised.

I like to watch shows,( not regularly) but I dont show because of the commitment to the show life. I like to be free to do what I want when I want. I think there has to be a lot of dedication and hard work to be able to do well in shows. I am just not at that point.

I would like to do team penning with my paint mare she is cutting bred and I think she would do really well. Actually I would like to see someone else do team pen with ShyAnne. I also think Bonny would do ok as a jumper as she likes to jump but I am not sure she is really built for it.

I would love to take Bonny to nursing homes that would be more my style!
default_yes.gif
The commitment to a show life is not happening for me these days but my plump girls went in the ring for the first time in a number of years and jumped like nobody's business. Maybe they are not fit and trim but they were loving it and Mercy showed the power behind the pudge with blues in Amateur Hunters, Amateur Jumper and Adult Jumpers.
default_yes.gif
default_wink.png

It is fun to see forum friends (thanks again Karla & Kennedy!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
default_yes.gif
), and see if practice at home works in the ring.

It is also fun to do the nursing homes and other events... Mercy has her Summerfest in Perinton next weekend.

However you enjoy your minis is great - the best part about them for me is having them in my life!

Denise

I don't show as I just plain don't like it. I can go through the motions, but I don't get any enjoyment out of it other than being with friends that are showing. Too me it's not fun and very draining on time, energy and money.

I also do not like the level of heavy politics involved at shows - even on the local level. I find that a turn off in a major way. The horses shown by people that try to throw their weight around or cheat - goodness they have gorgeous horses that could win outright - but the crap you see and hear at a show - it just detracts from that. There are a number of breeders that do use showing as a way to prove their breeding and I admire them for that. But there are alot of people that chase points and ribbons with little concern for the horses in their care other than can that horse add to their farm or training facilities fame.

So, as a breeder that does not show I guess I fall into the 'unfit to be breeding catagory' that some say should exist! Well too bad - I guess I won't be selling those people horses and I have absolutely no problem with that! I try to be very concentious in my breeding and decision making regarding the welfare of my horses.

I believe though, as I have made the decision to not show, I need to take extra effort and care in getting myself educated so I do not fall into the trap of being barn blind. I attend shows to watch and learn. I subscribe to the Journal, MHW and the Showcase, both registries studbooks, and have a very extensive library on horses conformation, breed standards, genetics, etc. I also love one of the great tools availalbe - the Internet and regularly visit lots of websites, including those reputable breeders that I think breed correct horses, and win in the show ring based on their horses ability not a political win.

I also have some very dear friends that are not shy about my horses and breeding program and telling me what I'm doing right and wrong!!!

Sorry for the digression there!!

Very good post, Michelle!

I have to say I could have said most of that myself! So I am glad you did it! :)

I did used to enjoy driving my little stallion years ago, when I was first in minis and tried showing a few years. I enjoyed obstacle driving best of all and we did great! But living where I live with about 9 months of winter (or more some years) and no indoor place to get horses ready, I really did not enjoy most things about showing, and especially halter. I am not good at it either.

I do enjoy watching shows if I get to to to them once foal watch is over some years. And I have also lived and breathed my minis for 20 years now, and like you..... gotten the magazines and both studbooks on line, learning more all the time about conformation etc.

So my main reasons not to show are

1. My climate

2. Lack of enjoyment of it

3. Lack of natural skill at it

4. The high cost of it

5. Distance to shows

6. Not liking lots of the extreme grooming techniques that are in for the present.

7. Really preferring a little more substance than the extreme refinement also that wins most today.

8. I really prefer and have always bred for tiny correct horses, and they do not have as much of a chance in the show ring as the taller ones in each class.

I choose to enjoy my minis in other ways besides showing, and do not consider myself unfit to breed for what I like and aim to produce. :)

Susan O.

There is a huge, wide range of the types/quality of stock that non-show homes have. As I said already, in my opinion, some of these breeders have done a great job of figuring out what it takes to make a good mini -- this of course includes some apparently ruffled by my opinion that showing horses at halter is a great opportunity to learn.

There are tons of others who breed minis every year that are so far appart from anything that could show and do well when it comes to both type and conformation. SHOWING some of their horses would, in my opinion, give them a chance to see right there up close the difference between what wins and what doesn't. It would also give them a chance to ask the judge what could be holding back their horse from doing well.

Never would I lump all non-showing breeders into the same category and I have outlined that in my statements here already.

My first show horse was very correct and he did do well at local shows and at smaller registry shows including championships. At bigger shows, he didn't really do well at all. I could have chalked it up to politics (which would have been easier, cheaper and an instant way to make myself feel better) but instead, I'd sit out of the ring watching my trainer handle him and I'd pin the class and eventually saw myself pinning it as did the judges.

I did come to identify the "typy" differences between my horse and the type that was placing well. Over time and with a lot of thought, one result was that horse went from being my stallion to being my gelding. If not for showing, he'd still be my stallion and nice as he is, he's not the sire that my others are or have the potential to be. He was only one change that showing brought about in my herd and I feel all the changes put me in the position to be a better breeder than I would have otherwise been. So, for what it is worth, I am only telling others ONE good thing showing did for me.

So my main reasons not to show are

1. My climate

2. Lack of enjoyment of it

3. Lack of natural skill at it

4. The high cost of it

5. Distance to shows

6. Not liking lots of the extreme grooming techniques that are in for the present.

7. Really preferring a little more substance than the extreme refinement also that wins most today.

8. I really prefer and have always bred for tiny correct horses, and they do not have as much of a chance in the show ring as the taller ones in each class.

I choose to enjoy my minis in other ways besides showing, and do not consider myself unfit to breed for what I like and aim to produce. :)

Susan O.
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen
default_yes.gif

Nothing wrong with not showing, however, I really think someone who aspires to breed show show their potential breeding animals and see how they stack up and to learn what is really nice physically and what is more of just a pet. I know that it has taught me a lot that I personally value and am happy to have inside my head
default_biggrin.png
I could not agree more. Most do not have to show at all you can enjoy your horses however you want to however if you are going to breed it is really best to have outside opinions on your horse and your own idea of correct conformation as well as to see what others horses look like in person.

It really helps a breeder to sell foals and know if what they are selling truly is show quality as advertised.

That said of course we all know there is much more to owning a horse then showing many enjoy having loved cared for pets in the show ring and many enjoy having loved cared for pets who never see the ring.

It is easy for others to chime in when this becomes a post of those at shows are rude, complain, only care about ribbons and titles, don't want a horse to love or care for it. As well as many other uneducated remarks.

That is no different then being upset when you hear those who don't show talk about pet quality horses and breeding programs.

The reality is most horses can do just fine in either scenario and most horses actually do a bit of both in their lifetimes.

I am another one who is not interested in showing... Did it in the dog show world for 20/25 yrs..

Now if I were looking for a super horse I would be looking for only the ones that win in all fields in the

show ring.. Performance , driving and then in halter.. Style changes, but a good all around horse is something

that has no time limit..

horsehug--I like your list.
default_yes.gif

And this idea is exactly why showing is totally not necessary for breeders:

I believe though, as I have made the decision to not show, I need to take extra effort and care in getting myself educated so I do not fall into the trap of being barn blind. I attend shows to watch and learn. I subscribe to the Journal, MHW and the Showcase, both registries studbooks, and have a very extensive library on horses conformation, breed standards, genetics, etc. I also love one of the great tools availalbe - the Internet and regularly visit lots of websites, including those reputable breeders that I think breed correct horses, and win in the show ring based on their horses ability not a political win.
I also have some very dear friends that are not shy about my horses and breeding program and telling me what I'm doing right and wrong!!!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, ladies.
default_yes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back