For those of you who DO NOT show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been shoved into embarassing costumes and placed in front of large audiences since I was three, I think I got ring sour for a while. I also showed my Arabian competitively for several years with a trainer that was far more ambitious than I was, and they constantly reassured me that any failings we had were due to my nerves affecting my horse. The devastation and shame I felt when I didn't do well really put me off of showing. Heck, even when I did win I was so wracked with anxiety that I could rarely enjoy it.

That said, I actually love horse shows of all types and can sit in the bleachers morning to night with my little notepad, comparing my placings to the judges'. I love cheering friends on, and as others have mentioned there is nothing better than watching a horse you bred go out there and compete and do you proud. I sent one of our stallions to a trainer a couple years ago, and it was a very gratifying experience for me. Every time I got an update on how well he was doing I'd do a little dance.

I'd like to show again. I keep telling myself I will. I've even got some lovely young horses now that like to show themselves. But lately everything (time, my schedule, the fact that I do everything by myself) seems to conspire against me. In the meantime, I get my fix by reading others' show results here on the forum. I've got one horse especially that I would like to see out there, but that old thought that not doing well is my fault still haunts me... Maybe I'll send her to a trainer instead.
default_unsure.png

I think that many times people forget that the ribbons/trophies etc. don't make the horse.. Just because a horse does not have ribbons/trophies or big titles to his/her name does not mean that he/she is not of breeding quality or can't go on to produce a horse that can go out and win.. I think there's a lot of breeders/owners out there that are getting to wrapped up in the number of championships,titles etc. a horse has..

I'm with you, Brandi--the only difference is that I do like to watch shows--okay--one a year--but Kennedy and I pick and choose what days to go (too many boring halter classes on some days) and sometimes walking around is way more entertaining. There are vendors and food!! We love halter obstacle and Liberty the best.
default_yes.gif
The rest does get pretty boring. But at the one show we go to a year--there are many forum folks to visit with. That's the best part!
default_biggrin.png

I tried a show once--and once was enough (see story on my website on Events page). We did pretty good--came home with 6 ribbons--and placements in a rated show. I really don't like the clipping required (in the ears?? What about bugs??) and I'll never understand why people spend $100s on a show halter. :DOH! The day was rather pricey too--it's just not how I choose to spend my money.

I agree with everything Cristina said--in both her replies. I have no trouble selling--and I don't show.
default_smile.png

I love having residents from assistant living homes out to our farm--they are making it an annual event now. And parades are fun--and just having kids over to learn about minis is my favortie. (See website--Sharing the Love page.) Community service is free and my heart feels full afterwards.

Brandi--great post! Refreshing!! Thanks!

I like to watch shows,( not regularly) but I dont show because of the commitment to the show life. I like to be free to do what I want when I want. I think there has to be a lot of dedication and hard work to be able to do well in shows. I am just not at that point.

I would like to do team penning with my paint mare she is cutting bred and I think she would do really well. Actually I would like to see someone else do team pen with ShyAnne. I also think Bonny would do ok as a jumper as she likes to jump but I am not sure she is really built for it.

I would love to take Bonny to nursing homes that would be more my style!
default_yes.gif

I think that many times people forget that the ribbons/trophies etc. don't make the horse.. Just because a horse does not have ribbons/trophies or big titles to his/her name does not mean that he/she is not of breeding quality or can't go on to produce a horse that can go out and win.. I think there's a lot of breeders/owners out there that are getting to wrapped up in the number of championships,titles etc. a horse has..
I disagree.

The breeders are showing to promote their horses, farm and if its a trainer, they are promoting themselves as a handler. If the owner didnt care about the horses championship titles, National titles, then why would they be showing?

Well--one strange thing about showing that amazes Kennedy and me--is the difference in the judges' opinions. Even with something as seemingly cut and dry as halter obstacle--there are very different placings. That's weird. So--it's a lot of money to pay for an opinion....

It's another reason I wouldn't want to show--although there are so many before that one.

But--let's stick to the topic... this is for those who don't show....so no disagreements are needed from those who do. Those that do show have many, many, many other posts to add to.
default_wink.png
default_yes.gif

I don't think a horse would earn repeated top show honors if it wasn't a quality animal. And that's something an owner can be rightfully proud about. I'm sure proud of mine and there's not anything anyone could say to change that
default_biggrin.png
Also, I don't think a horse would repeatedly place at the bottom of its class if there wasn't a real reason.

There are some horses who never show and are of amazing quality but there are also A LOT of people who don't know how to take a good honest look at their own horses -- which does matter imo if you're going to reproduce that animal. Putting some of your own out there in the ring can be a real educational opportunity.

I think a lot of the OP and I do not think she meant for the thread to be "bashing" people who enjoy having show horses. Often these threads get turned around by those who haven't really shown to try and it seem like "show people" only care about winning. This isn't the case with any of the many show people I know -- regardless of how many good ribbons they have hanging on their walls! When "non show people" try and take the chance to bash the show people, some of us are going to chime in with our perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt-$20,000??????????? GEEZE! Is that per horse????? Gosh it's a good thing I don't want to show lol :DOH!

Karla-I think it would be a lot of fun to meet forum members at the shows! And that in itself will probably be the reason I attend future shows.....plus as I said before, I like "site seeing" through the barns
default_yes.gif

Brandi--and don't forget the food and vendors! One year I got this adorable mini mini halter key chain... I still use it. Great conversation piece with my students.
default_biggrin.png
I also learned of those nylon ties there--the ones with a hook on one end and a ring on the other--I have a dozen or more now. I have to buy something tomorrow!!

ONE year I got to stand with Boinky and Enchantress as their--well--the person that stands in front of the cart while they're waiting for placements. I felt very important.
default_smile.png
And I got to run some of thier horses back to stalls. I'm such a great gopher.
default_biggrin.png

Last year someone forgot to call the vendors and food people--ugh. It really killed the whole experience.
default_wacko.png

Karla i was simply disagreeing with a statement
default_smile.png

There are some horses who never show and are of amazing quality but there are also A LOT of people who don't know how to take a good honest look at their own horses. Putting some of your own out there in the ring can be a real educational opportunity.
Yes, especially if you have a breeding program, when you see your horses day after day and have an untrained eye its easy to become barnblind, so being able to take your foals and horses out to a show and compare them to others horses, even if you do not enjoy it, will be helpful to you as a breeder.

To me, the halter classes are just to much fun to watch, i enjoy watching the handlers techniqes and comparing the horses and seeing how the classes pan out. I just dont find showmanship, obsticle ext fun to watch. I do enjoy Liberty and Jumping though, but the halter classes to me are the most useful and fun to watch.

But--let's stick to the topic... this is for those who don't show....so no disagreements are needed from those who do. Those that do show have many, many, many other posts to add to.
Hey there's an idea Karla!!
default_rolleyes.gif

So--it's a lot of money to pay for an opinion...
Bingo, and that's all it is, somebody's opinion.. I'll save my money and take my opinion, my family's, my friends and all the others who have interacted/shared/bought our horses
default_yes.gif
I don't need a ribbon, just the smiles and enjoyment..

And speaking of that, I'm off to go play with the babies
default_wub.png

Keep in mind, too, that at a show you are paying for an opinion. This is true, but there are credentials behind these judges and many years of experience in horses that have gone into forming their opinions. Yes, it is just an opinion, but it is a qualified opinion.

See I see nothing wrong with someone paying for an opinion. It just depends on if you want or need the opinion
default_yes.gif
Some people feel that it is totally worth the money, work and time that goes into getting that opinion. I on the other hand don't and that's why I started this thread lol. I guess I wanted to see if I was alone
default_biggrin.png
But don't get me wrong, I think showing is a good thing it's just not something I am personally interested in doing. I wouldn't get any satisfaction out of it.

And yes Karla! I can't forget about the vendors! I rather enjoyed my two hot dogs at the Santa Ana show last year
default_yes.gif
I also liked walking around and looking at everybody's rigs.

Keep in mind, too, that at a show you are paying for an opinion. This is true, but there are credentials behind these judges and many years of experience in horses that have gone into forming their opinions. Yes, it is just an opinion, but it is a qualified opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally dont show. Too much money to put in it, too much stress, etc. I LOVE being at the shows and watching but cant stand the stress at ALL!

Matt-$20,000??????????? GEEZE! Is that per horse????? Gosh it's a good thing I don't want to show lol :DOH!

Karla-I think it would be a lot of fun to meet forum members at the shows! And that in itself will probably be the reason I attend future shows.....plus as I said before, I like "site seeing" through the barns
default_yes.gif

LOL.. Yeah, it's per horse. But it's in the big horse world.

I show, though not a lot.

However, I want to chime in because for the first several years of owning minis, I had NO interest in showing. I only wanted to enjoy them as my horses, my pets, do some driving. I enjoyed the horses as much then as I do now.

Nothing wrong with not showing, however, I really think someone who aspires to breed show show their potential breeding animals and see how they stack up and to learn what is really nice physically and what is more of just a pet. I know that it has taught me a lot that I personally value and am happy to have inside my head
default_biggrin.png

Jill,

I agree with you. If one wants to breed, then they should be doing some showing so that they can strive for the correct horse. The only way one is going to learn what a good horse is, would be to show. Get involved with the World and National shows and read the Mini Horse World Magazine and Journal to see what is winning out there. Otherwise you are just perpetuating the over population of the horse world.

But, there are many Mini horse owners out there that just want them as pets to love and cherrish. Perhaps do some driving or just grooming and petting. After all, how many big horses out there are really ridden that much? Many are just pets that are groomed and loved too.

I agree with you. If one wants to breed, then they should be doing some showing so that they can strive for the correct horse. The only way one is going to learn what a good horse is, would be to show. Get involved with the World and National shows and read the Mini Horse World Magazine and Journal to see what is winning out there. Otherwise you are just perpetuating the over population of the horse world.
I seriously hope that I am not the only non-showing breeder who has taken offense to above... Because I am a breeder but have chosen not to show my horses makes me a contributor to the "over-population" of minis even though I strive for the EXACT same things as those breeders who do spend the money/time to show? I'm sorry, but I think not...
default_nono.gif
Showing is not the only way to "learn what a good horse is," as stated before with showing it's the opinion of a judge on that given day which is why you can have a horse go champion at one show with one judge and the next not place at all with another.. Personally, I don't like the "refined, arab" looking horses that are the "in" of the showring, I like the old style minis so why would I need to "take a look at what's winning" when it's not the style *I* want to breed, and last I checked there was no rule saying I had to breed the style that's "in".. I enjoy the horses I have, I'm happy with the foals they are producing, those who have bought the resulting foals are happy with them.. Is there room for improvement? Of course, EVERY program has room for improvement..

Cristina--your wisdom and writing skills amaze me. And again, I agree with you 100%. Thanks for taking the time to use your words so well.

Lucky C Acres - You are not the only one that took " offense" to the statement about the "over-population".

I did also!

I breed my miniatures and I don't show. I have thought about buying a show horse, but I would have to hire a trainer ( and I would have to trust that trainer 100%). I could not stand out in front of a crowd of people - I think I would just pass out...LOL. and I really never had the desire to show. I have been breeding for 7 years and I am just now getting an itch to buy a show horse. I don't know if I ever will, but I have recently been thinking about it.

This is where I get my enjoyment - I love the new foals every year and sharing them with the family. I love teaching them to trust me and halter break them slowly.

When the new foal figures out he or she can run - then they figure out they can run faster- then they figure out they can kick and buck. Oh - that is so much FUN to watch! To hear my grandchildren giggle when they watch them playing.

Another thing I really enjoy ! Sitting outside when the weather is good and the horses are feeling good and running and playing. The manes and tails may be a mess - they have dirt all over them. But, when they are feeling good and running and bucking I could watch them for hours. When they are ready to stop and rest I am left sitting wishing they would keep going.

I would take the above over ribbons any day! That is just my opinion! I don't blame people for showing, like I said I have thought about buying a show horse, but I know that would never bring me as much joy as watching my horses play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back