For those of you who DO NOT show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I'll be showing this year, and for a few reasons.

1. The cost of entry fees and the prices of fuel. I would be looking at no less than spending $150.00 for one day showing with one horse, and thats a little bit tough.

2. I actually found it pretty boring. Because I am only there with one or 2 horses there is alot of standing around and waiting between classes. I actually really enjoy the activity classes but as for the rest, its just felt rather, well, dull. And it wasn't that my horses didn't place, I just didn't really get a sense of achievement from it.

3. I felt sorry for my horse/s. I didn't like covering them in summer or withholding food from them. I would prefer them to shed out their coats naturally rather than being clipped out. I felt sorry for them standing about all day at shows. The whole thing felt really un-natural and just not right for us.

4. People grumbling about and b***hing about the judges and organisers at the ringside ( or anywhere else for that matter). It can ruin an otherwise enjoyable day to have to listen to people complaining (often very loudly) about the judges choices or that they didn't think the day was running smoothly enough or quickly enough. Sadly I found this at all the shows I went to and it was very off putting (and a little embarressing)

This is just my opinion, from my experiences, with my horses. I'm sure there are alot of people out there that love it and their horses do too. It just wasn't for me or my boys.

ps sorry about my bad spelling!

OK I am really not trying to ruffle any feathers here but I buy my breeding stock from breeders who do show. So Shouldnt I take thier word that they are selling me quality breeding stock when they specifically know that is what I am looking for.Yes I know I should know conformation and I do but when a big name breeder tells you something is one thing and then if I take it into the ring and it doesnt do well then does that mean I should be asking for money back. Because I have to tell you when I was just getting into minis I paid alot of money for my first horse who it turned out wasnt worth much.Yes I was very uneducated about miniatures but i was reassured this horse was good quality. Anyway, my point being when I could have used someone to help me learn the ideal for minis ( I came from a stock horse background which is not the Ideal for minis) I got told something which was wrong for the almighty dollar it would bring them. I trusted them and was let down so please forgive me for not paying thousands of dollars for a horse just because it is such and such line and the sire or dam got such and such title. I think showing is great for those who can do it but I dont think I should be told not to breed because my horse isnt proven in the show ring so must not be any good. i have always found that my minis seem to depreciate like new cars once they are off that other persons farm they go down in value immediately and all because I dont show. I have never understood that when they come from show farms and they say they are excellent quality. I am not pointing any fingers and I am not blaming anyone as I have totally learned about buyer beware. Just venting.. I apologize if I have offended anyone not my intent just trying to make a point..Sometimes I let my mouth get me into too much trouble...I will jump down now...

You know, the reality is those breeders who are "anti-showing" and those who are "pro-showing" can talk all day about which is best. As someone who's evolved from a non-show home to one who does show and learned/learns from it, I know the value. Additionally, every one of us has our horses easily visible to anyone reading. People can actually take a look and see which breeders they think have done the better job of figuring it out when it comes to nice stock and foals. For me, most (but not all!) of my favorite breeders do show.

I've also seen myself and others who felt "shows aren't important" sing a different tune the first time they win a class with competition, the first time their horse gets a title, or if they come to buy a horse who previously showed and did well. It can be interesting to remember "who said what" and then later see how they advertise foals or the pride they express in a new purchse (often referring to show winning ancestors, etc...). Also interesting to note the homes who do not show yet advertise that this or that foal for sale would show well (how can they know, they don't "really" even show? I feel sorry for buyers who may believe the breeder really knows what is show quality because I see a lot who say "this horse will win" when I really doubt it could). Probably some others will find room for offense in these statements, yet I suppose there's no room to be offended by statements that show wins are essentially pointless or without meaning, that it doesn't "really" mean the horse is nice, etc
default_biggrin.png

Honestly, no one should be offended by the opinions expressed on this thread -- in either direction. The only time another person's opinion rattles me is when I'm not really confident in my own. If "you" feel comfortable that you've got it going on right for your breeding program, why would what someone else feels is a better approach to the same project be insulting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill..the comment IMO was " rude" because it seem to state - if you don't show - then you are contributing to the "over-population" of bad horses. IMO that is a FALSE statement. I realize you did not post that comment. I just want you to try and understand why I took it as rude.

I never advertise my horses as " show quality" and I feel I have some very nice horses. I have some of my best horses that are not even on my website. I leave it up to the buyer if they want to show the horse or not. If they ask me if it is show quality, then I am honest and tell them I am not sure and then I contact some " show people" that are experienced to help me out with the horse.

I also feel if I didn't take my own pictures - if I had a professional take my pictures they could make " my horses" look much better.

So, just because I don't show - does not mean I am the cause of " over-populating' the miniature horses.

You can make a point - without being rude

I also want to add I am NOT " anti-showing" - I am right now considering buying a show colt.

I will still take the fun and enjoyment of my miniature horses over Ribbons and Trophy's any day of the week.

My son is an EXCELLENT athlete - He was excepted at a private college on partial scholarship for Baseball( This college will NOT give a full scholarship)

But, he played Football, Basketball, & Baseball - From his Freshman year to his Senior year he played Varsity all Four Years - He got the all around Senior Award ( this goes to ONE Senior) and his Plaque with his name, picture, accomplishments, etc. will forever be hanging on the wall at his high school.

You bet I am EXTREMELY PROUD of him for that. But, what was the most fun - watching the boys come to my house after school and goof around playing basketball, or throwing a baseball around in the yard and hoping and praying it didn't come through the window...LOL. Some of the best games I watched were games they lost. Them coming in after practice and all dirty and sweaty - eating me out of house and home and making fun ( in a good way) about the dumb moves or plays they had done that day - or that game. It was the laughter and the fun times. Being a part of all of that is what I miss the most. I enjoyed that much more than the trophy's he won. Not, saying I am not proud of his trophy's. I am - it is just the fun of being around these boy's was more important than the trophy's they won. I hope this makes since - I was just trying to compare one sport to another. I have a room full of trophy's - he played all sports starting with T-ball. But, what I think about is the fun through all those years. That is what money can't buy - the memories.

Just like I could watch my horse run and play in the field for hours non stop ( if only they didn't stop sometimes).

My son was gifted with being an excellent Athlete - what about the boy's that weren't as good? Does that make them less of a boy - NO WAY - because their talent is somewhere else. They could be Doctor's or Lawyers, or construction workers, the list could go on forever.

If we all thought the same - done the same- this would be a boring world!

Some kids want to play sports - some kids don't

Some people want to show - some people don't

This doesn't mean one way is right and one way is wrong- Does it?

Last edited:
Hi Brandi,

I LOVE going to shows, I didn't at first, eventually, you meet lots of people that all enjoy their minis.

But I HATE showing (myself) I just hate it.

Some horses love it, some don't. My stallion get furious and mean!

imo

Not to start an argument..

SHOWS ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO THE BREED.

I don't think it is all about the ribbons. It is about the breed.

Any breeder who's goal is to breed horses that match the breed standard...

The Breed show is the BEST place to see what is out there and the horses

are conditioned and look their best.

Again, IMO, a breeder should ATTEND breed shows or farms that do successfully show,

to see for themself, just what these animals look like. It is amazing how

barn blind we can be.

The 'backyard' breeder (a term I find offensive, I consider myself one) can and does produce high quality animals. It is all about educating yourself, trial and error, constantly looking with a critical eye and LUCK!

~Sandy

It's a shame Brandi's most refreshing post to discuss NOT showing specifically for those who DO NOT show can, again--as always--turn into "Those who show are more perfect and wonderful than those who don't." And yes--those who breed too.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif

In truth there are actually very few who constantly push the issue. Most folks who show can handle being buddies with those who don't...and there's a mutual respect. Others push the issue every single time they write a word. So tiresome.

I'm headed to a SHOW ----- to WATCH.
default_biggrin.png

Hope to get lots of photos to share....

edited to fix a word

Just a thought...but if those who show were more accepting of those who don't...for any reason...they might get more of an audience when they show. Just asking those who don't show to come out for the afternoon to watch would be refreshing.

It's a shame Brandi's most refreshing post to discuss NOT showing specifically for those who DO NOT show can, again--as always--turn into "Those who show are more perfect and wonderful than those who don't." And yes--those who breed too.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif

In truth there are actually very few who constantly push the issue. Most folks who show can handle being buddies with those who don't...and there's a mutual respect. Others push the issue every single time they write a word. So tiresome.

I'm headed to a SHOW ----- to WATCH.
default_biggrin.png

Hope to get lots of photos to share....

edited to fix a word
And its so tiresome to read some people's predictable responses....always trying to stir the pot. I believe a discussion calls for both sides of the coin to be evalutated. God bless our education system.

I have known a lot of awesome farms that do not show their horses. I would never put down a person/farm/horse just because they choose not to participate in horse shows. For sure showing horses is not for everyone. I have a lot of friends that do not show and they are very supportive of me when I do show. And I try to return the favor and support them in what they do weather that be visit nursing homes, schools or just enjoy their horses at home.

Show season is so short and such a small part of a horses life. It really is not the be all and end all. I do enjoy showing but if I could never show again I get just as much enjoyment watching them out in the pasture and training them and loving them.

I totally agree with Lucky C (and some others). I LOVE watching horse shows and have shown in some local shows. I dont consider it boring.....nothing could be boring involving beautiful horses....IMO! I too am not a fan of the "in" look, I dont know why because I have a fullsize Arabian horse and think she is stunning. But on a Mini...I prefer the QH look. Again just my opinion , the same as a judge at a horse show. All judges have there opinion...its what makes the world go round! Some are Appy lovers, some aren't.....some like paints, some don't. So your ribbons may be judged on your luck at getting a certain judge that likes your horse!! Too me that is very frustrating to take the same horse to 2 different shows and get 2 different results! All your HARD work is based on an opinion......that stinks!! So I choose not to focus on showing. I LOVE to go in Parades or showing them off in other ways, it is way more rewarding. Even though I do not show much, my minis are clipped and spiffed up like they are show horses and they LOVE it. I took several of my minis in the 4th of July parade and sooooo many people said "they are gorgeous, why dont you show them?" My answer is "I am showing them right now!!"

It is very dishearting to go to a rated show and be looked down upon because you are not one of the "TOP" farms known for showing! I had a friend go along with me to a AMHA/AMHR show who was thinking about getting a Mini.....we just went to watch. She thought the horses were gorgeous but said in no way did she want to get involved with the nastiest bunch of horse people she had ever been around!! And this is a lady who showed QH in halter for years!!! That is a big reason why if I do get the itch to show I stick to the local show and have fun!!!

No one is putting down someone for not showing. There are many things that people can do with their pet Mini's and showing is not at the top of the list. One does not have to show Mini's to enjoy them!!

But, if you are going to breed, one should be educated in what a quality horse should look like and sitting on your farm will not educate you. Going to shows, reading the Magazines will help. ASKING QUESTIONS is even better. While at a show, ask why one horse wins over another. (you do not have to show if you do not want to, but at least learn what a good Mini is supposed to look like) Yes it is one opinion, but as someone said on this forum, if that horse is consistantly in the top ribbons, it would seem to be everyones opinion.

It is rather easy to see that ones horse has straight legs (though some people can not even see that), and a good bite is rather easy to see too. But how does the neck come out of the shoulder? Is the neck a U neck ? Fat, thin, thick throat latch? Just because it is refined and long, does not make it a good neck. How about the top line or where the tail sets coming out the back. Is it set up high, or down low. Does the butt drop off? What about the hip, is it deep and long or very shallow? There are many other things to look at on a good Mini and if one is not willing to learn what a good animal is, one should not breed.

I say this for horses, dogs, cats, any animal. To breed just for the sake of breeding just does a diservice to the animal world!! Which then leads to over population. If one truely loves the breed, then why would you not want to do the best you can for them?

You may think that all of your foals are in good homes, but once they leave your home, you have no control over their lives.

About a week ago I went to our local horse aution with a friend. I really hate going there as I get so depressed. I was appalled with how many Mini's that were there, and they were only getting $50 a piece. Do you think that somone paying $50 for a Mini is going to take care of it? They will probalby buy it for the summer as a pet for their kids, or it goes to a petting zoo, then gets dumped back at the auction at the end of the year.

There was even one very emaciated Mini mare there with a foal by her side. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING, WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH PEOPLE? For every foal that is born, is another being starved?

We all profess to love this breed, but yet we all feel that we have the right to breed them. I myself have stopped breeding the mares that I want to sell. I will be selling them all open so as not to continue with the over population problem. These are all quality mares (with no breeding problems) that I spent quite a bit of money on, but I have cut back on my breeding program to where I plan on having only a handful of hopefully quality foals a year.

I am also a responsible breeder who will not sell just one horse to someone who wants it just as a pet. These are herding animals and therefore need a companion. If you can not take two,(and do not have anything at home for their compainonship) then I will not sell to you. This is not so that I can make more money, I will usually cut the price of the second horse quite a bit to help the buyer out, but then I know my horses will be happy and are in a good loving home. I also encourage those who just want pets to buy colts and have them gelded as they make the best of pets. Mares can be moody.

Anyway, I am not trying to put anyone down. There is nothing wrong with owning a Mini and not showing it, there are many ways to enjoy them. BUT, breeding it should be the last reason why you own a Mini.

The reason I don't show is the MONEY.

I've done the show thing started in 4-H when I was 16 progressed to AQHA and PHBA shows and ended when I got married at the age of 27. To me it was testing my horses to evaluate their progress. LOVED some aspects i.e. the interaction with other exhibitors etc......HATED some aspects i.e. the politics.

Lived on my first horse we racked up some SERIOUS miles on the trails like you I LOVED all aspects of that.

BUT the FIRST time I drove a mini I WAS HOOKED!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I think once you try it you will in fact love it too. I'm not thrilled with some of the judging at the breed shows but I think as more and more CDE'ers cross over to breed shows that will improve. That said I get just as much fun out of driving my horses at home.

There is no place i would rather be then at a Horse show, i am an addict ..

If i wasnt showing, i would prob only have three horses, but i just cannot imagine not showing. I love the work ...the time ...and then being at the shows and watching, talking with other handlers and of course my faverite place to be is in the ring.

I cannot remember who it was, but someone a while back compared a horse show to a beauty pagent for horses and that is kind of how i have thought of it since
default_yes.gif

Find what you enjoy
default_yes.gif
Amen!

Like to a Tee what I was going to write
default_smile.png

Id only have one mini
default_yes.gif

I don't know what Id do with him lol I like working towards something my whoel year revolves around the 13 shows I attend.

[/quoteShow season is so short and such a small part of a horses life. It really is not the be all and end all. I do enjoy showing but if I could never show again I get just as much enjoyment watching them out in the pasture and training them and loving them.

I am with Kay Kay on this
default_yes.gif
I have been one that isn't crazy about getting into the show ring...hubby dabbled in it at open shows though. I have enjoyed watching shows. I don't believe every person has to show to breed good horses. There really was more for me to learn about what a good mini is by being an observer than a participant. Showing is something that a person has to enjoy doing for it to be done. I don't believe any person should feel they have to show in order to breed correct horses. To me there is much more to learn outside the ring than in!! Mary

Edited to add: I do believe a lot more people would be showing if all those foals that are sold as show quaility tirned out as show quality!

Been there done that bought the T-shirt and Jacket. Showed for years in the big horse world, seen what "fashion" can do to a breed. Want no part of it.

Theia is nice enough to show and win...and not saying that lightly. However, there are a number of reasons why I don't.

I have friends that have very nice, super refined "show" mini's. Had them up here a couple of times before I was hurt, so they could drive my track. Her horses were in very good shape...but because of their super refineness they couldn't handle my hills.

I perfer a horse with a good conformation and temperament...but I like a bit more bone and muscle on my mini's,, because I drive.

Maggie..same height as said...winning show horses,,, she is not course though not refined like the show horses...handled the track with no problems and she was less in shape than the show mini's.

Just depends on what you want to do and what you like. There are many types of mini's in conformation..some want the ultra refined, deer legged, snake necked, narrow body show horse.

Those just don't suit what I do. They are pretty to watch in the show ring but they can't handle my hills being driven.

But no matter the type... good conformation is a must.

If one shows,, that is great but it is "not the be all and end all" of a good horse. One can have good quality horses and not show.

I know another lady that has beautiful mini's,, she could clean up in the show ring if she wanted to...but she got burnt out back when and no longer shows. So she happily plays with and drives her mini's her show quality "pet" mini's on her farm.

There is nothing wrong with those that show,,, same is there is nothing wrong that do not show for what ever reason. Niether one is better than another.

Personally I do not show as of yet...just got into minis. I did enter a show for big horses once and HATED it! I usually ride western and it was an english pleasure class, and I felt soooo out of place.
default_no.gif
I DO enjoy watching shows though--big and mini-I just wish there were more mini shows here in Northern New England!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I am learning what a good quality show mini looks like(from a judges point of view/opinion) anyways!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Also-I loved the liberty class!!! What a BLAST watching those little beauties show off!!!!
default_wub.png

Well said Riverdance.

Coming from a dog breeder/ exhibitor background, I have pretty much expressed the same argument. If you are going to breed you need some form of evaluating your "breeding stock" shows and performance events are really the only way to do so. This holds true for horses, dogs, cows you name it.

I am pretty new to minis, but not new to horses, and have been showing dogs for over 25 yrs.

We ALL become kennel/ barn blind. Yes you are paying for someone's opinion and it may not be what you want , but a quality animal should do its fair share of winning/ placing.

As for what is "in" in the ring right now, I have to say though I love the arab look it's not what I really want in my horses. The other looks are not incorrect per the standard if more folks showed them you might find the trend shift. Fads come and go but quailty will shine through.

( I noticed in Fletcher the other week that different "styles" were winning, it was not always the arab look that won.)

I am not even sure I will breed ( my mare was bred when she came to us) there seem to be a huge flood in the market right now, Minis are a dime a dozen, I hate seeing what happens to these guys when folks buy them cheap and think they are like keeping a dog.

My take on minis is the same as in dogs, If you choose to breed then you should be doing performance or conformation competition ( halter) with your horses. That is the only way you can insure you are improving the breed. And to me that is the only reason to breed is to improve. Because we all know perfection has yet to be obtained.

Thank you for those that have stuck to the "actual" topic :DOH! In NO WAY was I wanting this to turn into why showing is better than not showing or not showing is better than showing:No-Sad It is very dissapointing to see that even when I try to be very specific about a topic it still gets all turned around
default_sad.png
I have heard many many times why the breeders and show goers like to show and why they think it is good for the breed
default_yes.gif
I understand it completely by now. But I was just wanting to hear the other side of it. But yet again it has been taken over by raging opinions that don't have anything to do with the actual topic lol :DOH!

Here was the original question

"For those of you who do not show, what are your reasons for not showing? Is it money, time constrants, or like me you find it a little dry?"

It honestly had nothing to do with "if your breeding, than you need to show" or "if you don't show your not a breeder" or other comments that put down showing. I don't have a problem with showing or not showing but I always hear from the show goers and NOT the people like me who enjoy their minis on different levels other than showing.

I can understand why some of the show goers might have got their feathers ruffled from some of the statements but it really is ok for people to disagree but still stay on topic :DOH!

Ok I am done now lol
default_wacko.png
This was turning out to be a very interesting thread
default_rolleyes.gif
default_yes.gif

I used to show my minis, but no longer do for a variety of reasons. As many others stated, the politics and attitudes are a turn off. I hate all the makeup that is used as well. I remember a show I went to last year as a spectator, and watched a prominent person using a sharpie marker as eyeliner on their horse. I thought that was disgusting....ever hear of blood poisoning?? Went to a show 2 weeks ago where there were a number of fake tails used (full sized equines). Can't people realize you can tell the tail is fake? It is so blatant to me that it is unreal.

Here is something refreshing - showing alpacas. I work at an alpaca farm and showed them this year for the first time. No clipping, no bathing - just straight from the pasture. They are judged on their conformation and their fiber. To me, that is a true showing of an animal. They are not covered in make up and it is so much easier showing without all that fuss. That said, I am going to stick with showing the alpacas!
default_yes.gif

" Went to a show 2 weeks ago where there were a number of fake tails used (full sized equines). Can't people realize you can tell the tail is fake?"

OMG yes I saw this last year for the first time
default_new_shocked.gif
I didn't care for it. It actually kind of made me laugh
default_biggrin.png
A whole driving class had those things on lol
default_biggrin.png
Sorry if anyone here uses those....I just really didn't care for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back