For the liberty lovers...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keri, I can't agree more! C & W just usually does not fit the beat needed for Liberty. You want the audience on their feet and getting into the music too! The group Aqua had some fast beat tunes that go pretty well with some liberty horses........

Oh wow l didn't realize how much thought people put into there liberty music ...here we've used the same song Tequila for the past 12 years for either mares or stallions because it's all we had at the time that was upbeat and just seemed easy to keep using as it was always in the tack box anyway....it got us a lot of firsts over the years.. one of the stallions at our last show placed 1st out of 23 so it still seems to be working in our favor
default_biggrin.png

Too funny Relic.....I've been using Tequila on my Over mare this year. It's her first year showing. I used a different song the first show and was 5th. I have used Tequila the past 2 shows and she's won both times...and the last time was a very full Liberty class. She's got a big floaty trot on her anyways, but Tequila and her way of going match perfectly. She's got a big lofty trot, so the real fast songs dont work for her. It doesnt work as well with my others, but is working for her, so I'm not changing!

~Jen~

Hi Guys!

Well actually it's for a presentation so this time we don't need really the correct beat...

What about the Mojito song?? way to cute
default_laugh.png

these are the songs we would like to use...

maybe it can help others to choose songs?

Dario G - Carnaval de Paris

Underdog Project - Summerjam

Madonna - La Isla Bonita (Phantom remix 2009)

Royal Gigolos - California Dreaming

Dj Tiesto - Pirates of the Carribean

Bob Sinclar - Sound of Freedom

Dj Wout - Sensation Anthem 2004

Yves Larock - Rise up

Zorba The Greeck - Sertaki Club remix

Jean Michel Jane - Equinox 5

Mythos & DJ Cosmo - Heart of the Ocean

Dardude VS Robert Miles - Sandstorm

World of Warcraft (Jason Hayes) - The Shaping of the World

Elvis - Blue Suede Shoes Color

Real to real - move it

Celine Dion - I'm a live

DJ Tiesto - Titanic remix

Vangelis – Chariots of Fire

Vangelis - 1492 the conquest of paradise

Luis Cobos Tempo D’Italia Tutta Forza

Robert Abigail - Mojito Song

James Bond - 007

Mission Impossible - Remix

Axel F - Beverly Hill Cops

One thing I do when listening to Liberty music is to close my eyes and visualize how I know my horse moves- the beat, and see if the song is too slow, or doesnt fit. It helps a lot!

What I do is take a video of my horse out in the round pen, then I download the video on my computer and put different music to it and find what best suits the horse's movement and energy level. I also voice train my horses - so they will walk, trot, canter, halt and come to me on command (no enticements) :) I also train them to do figure eights.

From my experience as a liberty class competitor as well as a liberty class spectator. I like to see a liberty horse that is well trained. I want to see a horse that you can tell has been worked with. I do not enjoy watching liberty classes where you can tell they didn't work with the horse at all - they just turn the horse loose and let it do whatever it wants and usually those are the ones that run at a full gallop the whole time they are out there, don't come into their handler right away or stay at one end of the arena because they have no direction or idea of what they are out there for.

A horse can still look at "free" and show the beauty of a horse at "liberty", but still do it like a trained horse.

I like up beat music that the audience will recognize. I hate it when people pick songs that we have no clue what they are. It is much more enjoyable for the audience if you pick songs people will know. Just some thoughts.

Trickhorses...

To some degree you can "train" a liberty horse, but I feel the best ones are the ones that truly like to run wild and free. I find that the best thing to do is train your horse to come on command... but otherwise just let them be themselves. I find horses are either "liberty horses" or they are not. I LOVE LOVE LOVE liberty class but I hate that people enter any old horse in there.

If a horse doesn't flag it's tail when turned out at liberty, it's not a liberty horse to me. Horses that pay too much attention to the handler are not fun to watch. They should just be allowed to "run free and turn it on" and really give you chills to watch.

If you have trouble slowing your horse down to a trot, try getting it to switch directions. Or lunge it a bit before the class to get the extra sillies out if you know you have an extra-high energy horse.

I do agree that finding a popular song (but not one that five other exhibitors are using) is key to having an enjoyable run for the judges and spectators.

I usually work my horses while listening to my iPod, and I also upload videos of my horses at liberty to YouTube and then play music along to the videos to see what "works."

Every horse I've shown at Nationals in Liberty went Top Ten... but BOY are those loooong classes when there are sixty horses running!

I do believe that the horse is naturally a "liberty horse" or it is not. I don't feel it's something you can train. And I do feel you can "over train" your horse...

Andrea

I like to use instrumentals as well, from movies with sweeping moods or my favorite is to use traditional blugrass or Irish music cause they have great beats to them. A judge once thanked me for using the theme from "The Phantom of the Opera" and told me that some of the more popular music is too loud and distracting from the horse. Out of three judges, he marked me the highest.

I do believe that the horse is naturally a "liberty horse" or it is not. I don't feel it's something you can train. And I do feel you can "over train" your horse...Andrea
I totally agree. They either have it or they dont. Dales dam was undefeated in Liberty so we were really anxious to see how he would do. He didnt disappoint us and we got so many compliments on him after his run. The judge said he was the only horse that used the entire ring, showed all gates and changed directions and most importantly didnt have to be chased.

I have seen so many people make the mistake of just using half the ring. That will always count against you. Or running at a full gallop the whole time is not good.

I know one thing if we show a horse in liberty the first time and they try to hug the gate, we never enter them again. Once a gate hugger always a gate hugger.

Over the years, I've come to prefer just instrumental/orchestral rather than vocal music. I'm using movie soundtracks as well as classical for most of my Liberty horses now.
default_smile.png

I prefer instumental, too. Sometimes the vocals distract too much, IMHO. Plus, if you use something that's popular at the moment, so do about five other people.

We used "Wipe Out" for our one stallion and it worked great! Plus, the first year I ever showed Liberty I took the last 90 seconds from the "Dance of the Hours" and it was awesome! Took both firsts in that class....
default_biggrin.png

Lucy

I tend to like instrumentals & some movie themes too, but really anything that is catchy and suits the horse without overwhelming it. I've used music from Chicago and Pirates of the Caribbean among others, also some older big band music. Love old rock n roll too. I think you have to consider the judges, and most probably don't have a lot of appreciation for heavy metal LOL.

Jan

Latest posts

Back