For the liberty lovers...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epona Stable Belgium

Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering what songs people like to use for the liberty classes?

We have a presentation to do and we are looking for some music
default_laugh.png

But... I never participated at liberty classes as
default_rolleyes.gif

Hope someone could give us nice songs!

Thank's

The one song I always enjoy watching horses work to is Cher's "Believe", good tempo, great sound effects and if the horse gets to moving in time there is nothing prettier.
default_wub.png

Good Luck

Tim McGraw's Indian Outlaw is popular. Anything with a good 4 beat and uptempo is good. I personally like the '70's rock songs.

I love liberty music. This year we are doing "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" by the Hollies for our black long legged gelding and "Bad Moon Rising" by CCR for our stallion, Shadow Moon. Great beats in both and matches the horse's personality. I love both songs and can't stand still when they play either.

Here are the ones that my horses run to and they have been doing quite well:

Pearl runs to Blue Suede Shoes-Elvis

Diamond to All Jacked Up-Gretchen Wilson

Babe to Cotton Eyed Joe

A few others I am going to use on horses next year are:

The Race is On

Spin Me Right Round

Black Betty

These are just my favorites but I do have lots more picked out so I can switch it up if I need to.
default_laugh.png
Liberty has become one of my favorite classes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Segers "love to watch her strut" is a great one as it has a really strong beat

Mostly though I think the music should match the horses way of going. Years ago a horse did liberty to a slow love song (which you rarely hear a slow song used) and it about brought tears to my eyes as it was so beautiful

One thing I do when listening to Liberty music is to close my eyes and visualize how I know my horse moves- the beat, and see if the song is too slow, or doesnt fit. It helps a lot!

My girl Tigger's song was The Monkees "I'm A Believer"

Of course, at her trainer's last show with her I switched in "The Tigger Song" from Whinnie-The-Pooh. Priceless!

I also did it to Tiffany Porter at Worlds last year. LOL

Kari

I once used ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" for a big B gelding. It sounded good but the judge told me that it did not have a good enough beat. She said when you look for a song, look for something that has a heavy and fast beat to it where the horse's hoofs touch the ground on each beat. With the same gelding I then tried the Disney version of "Mambo No. 5" and it sounded better. We placed 4th out of 5 but the other 3 horses were Nat Champs who were rediculously good.

I also used P!nk's "Get the Party Started" for a 28 inch yearling mare. The song seemed to have a good beat but I think the song itself was too fast for her little cha-cha trot. Last Sunday I then used Escala/Scala's "Palladio" with her and I liked it better than the P!nk song. We got 4th out of 4 because the other horses used more of the arena and my mare wouldnt go very far away from me. I think I may have her a little TOO well trained. lol. She did come right to me at the end, something the other horses didnt do.

A lady who I have competed against always uses "Pocketful of Sunshine" but it doesnt have any beat and IMO, it doesnt go with her horses. Another song I have seen used is "Walking on Sunshine". Some of the Michael Jackson songs seem to have good beats. I have never used any of them but have considered it.

Last week we went to a show and watched a liberty dance horse dance to 'William Tell's Overture', a neat switch I thought
default_smile.png

The last 2 years Ive used "Ive Been Everywhere Man" by Jonny Cash as my stallion has been everywhere and he starts off by running as fast as he can to a corner and than trots to the slow part. Soon as the music picks up to where Jonny sings about the countrys/citys, I make my stallion pick up his pace. Next year Im changing it to a different beat and looking into some different songs so that way I am not using the same one over and over. Got Aerosmith in mind for next year!
default_biggrin.png

DODGER MY STALLION USES DEVIL WENT DOWN TO GEORGIA, HE LOVES IT AND REALLY MOVES AND PLACED 5TH. AT NATIONALS.

I love using Elvis songs
default_yes.gif
Me 2
default_wub.png

There is a song that sounds nice too, does anyone knows the song '' Carnaval de Paris'' of Dario G?

It's maybe not the best liberty song but with much beats in and is very nice to hear...

It starts slowly but then we get a lot of beats and bells.

Well thank's to the others who gave also new titles!!!!

Thats a neat song! I would worry though that its almost too fast once the beat starts. Remember you really dont want the horse to gallop the whole time. You want to show all gaits but with more emphasis on the trot. Years ago we tried a song that just revved our horse up too much. If they just run the whole time your score will be low

I have a horse i call lady so for her liberty song i picked Grundy county auction by micheal mcgomery. She loved that song and would start showing off as soon as it started. "Hey pretty lady wont you give me a sign i'll give anything to make you mine ol mine....." Trained her for the class but then the show that we were going to got cancelled so never got to try it out in the ring.

I have a grullo pinto filly, Avatar pic, that i'm thinking of doing liberty with well just look at the pic and you can see why. I was thinking of the country songs of I got nothing to lose or I'll be a run away.

I run my ponies in liberty. I love the beastie boys as they have an attitude that fits my ponies. Their songs I've used are "No Sleep till Brooklynn" and "You've got to Fight for your Right to Party." They have a song called "Girls" that would be awesome for stallions. Nice beat to it. And for my other pony, I use "SuperMassive BlackHole" by Muse off the Twilight Album. He performs well to it.

I think the judges like to hear a beat. So I tend to hit my head on a wall when you hear a country music pop in for liberty. Unless its someone like Cowboy Troy or Big N Rich, most don't have a good beat and are boring. JMO though.

Over the years, I've come to prefer just instrumental/orchestral rather than vocal music. I'm using movie soundtracks as well as classical for most of my Liberty horses now.
default_smile.png

When we used to show Ten L's Supreme Heir in Liberty, we used pan flute instrumentals. Not may people like the music, but good ol D.S. (barn name) and I both loved it! Jerry tried other music for him and he just kinda flattened out. Went back to the pan flute and he flags that tail and looks and moves like an Arabian. He loves it! Poor fella, he doesn't get out in Liberty or anything else much anymore, too many other horses.

Back